• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI tournament ever

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
And Exactly especially I remember the hindi commentator saying " Or Nehru Cup Pakistan ka hua " Translation : And Pakistan wins the Nehru cup . Still remember this sentence . What a performance by Salim Malik . What a super performance .

FRAZ

International Captain
In my humble and honest opinion
The ingredients of a good tournament
1. How it is unique ?
2. how much is the prize money ? (Motivates the players lol )
3. How many teams in it ?
4. What type of a format it has ? (I guess the format of 1992 world cup was the best one and the most simple one)
5. Where it is being played ?
6. How much drama involved in it ?
7. How were the performances of the Batsmen and the BOWLERS ?
8. was the amount of average runs scored in the tournament were of a medium level ?(Because I hate the ODIS where flat track bullies just murder even the best bowlers in the world )
9. What were the milestones or the important things to remember? As respectable Sanz pointed out Javed's six .
And I guess Name is not of a significant importance except we call it World cup.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Interesting theory, to say the least. Surely the name of the tournament doesn't mean a thing - it's the teams and the environment they're competing in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FRAZ said:
Because of having quarter finals, and giving the chance to even the lamest teams of the world cup to pull out the miracle of beating the better ones ,e.g. hmmmmmmmmmmm South Africans .
That's why the '96 format was weak, IMHO. With 8 strong cricketing nations it practically meant a bye for them to the quarters. We got there by beating the cricketing superpowers of Holland & The UAE. The last time we've got out of the groups stages, incidentally... :p

IIRC Australia chose to forefit their games due to take place in Sri Lanka due to some Tamil Tiger activity or other & still qualified comfortably.

It concerns me a bit the the porposed "Super 8" format for next year's tournament might mean the same thing happens unless, say, Bangladseh can spring a shock.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sanz said:
Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.
Npower,Benson n Hedges, Wills all played cricket and were brilliant international players.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Nehru Cup was great because

1.It had all test playing nations minus NZL, a thing which is very rare now so this makes it unique.

2.It was single league basis and vey competitive you can judge it by the league table below.

MRF Series Nehru Cup - Points Table

P W L RR pts
India 5 3 2 4.631 6
England 5 3 2 4.518 6
Pakistan 5 3 2 4.296 6
West Indies 5 3 2 4.127 6
Australia 5 2 3 4.364 4
Sri Lanka 5 1 4 4.050 2

The first 4 teams qualify for the semi finals

3. It had a gripping final decided in the last over between the two best ODI teams at that
time.

So Sanz how can you say it was not a good tournament.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
That's why the '96 format was weak, IMHO. With 8 strong cricketing nations it practically meant a bye for them to the quarters. We got there by beating the cricketing superpowers of Holland & The UAE. The last time we've got out of the groups stages, incidentally... :p

IIRC Australia chose to forefit their games due to take place in Sri Lanka due to some Tamil Tiger activity or other & still qualified comfortably.

It concerns me a bit the the porposed "Super 8" format for next year's tournament might mean the same thing happens unless, say, Bangladseh can spring a shock.
The group stages are nothing more than game time for the minnows and glorified warmups, to be honest. The best thing about the new format will be that the top 8 nations will be playing everyone, not just having one KO game like in 96.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
The group stages are nothing more than game time for the minnows and glorified warmups, to be honest. The best thing about the new format will be that the top 8 nations will be playing everyone, not just having one KO game like in 96.
The Super Eight is still messed up though. Confusing.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Nehru Cup was great because

1.It had all test playing nations minus NZL, a thing which is very rare now so this makes it unique.

2.It was single league basis and vey competitive you can judge it by the league table below.

MRF Series Nehru Cup - Points Table

P W L RR pts
India 5 3 2 4.631 6
England 5 3 2 4.518 6
Pakistan 5 3 2 4.296 6
West Indies 5 3 2 4.127 6
Australia 5 2 3 4.364 4
Sri Lanka 5 1 4 4.050 2

The first 4 teams qualify for the semi finals

3. It had a gripping final decided in the last over between the two best ODI teams at that
time.

So Sanz how can you say it was not a good tournament.
First of all WI was not really the best or even second best team in 1989. Pakistan sure was a great team and the undisputed best team of late 80s and early-mid 90s, India-australia-England at the 2nd level, WI and NZL 3rd level followed by the strong minnow SL.

I watched the tournament, it had an unofficial inaugral D/N match between India/Pak in the Asiad Stadium (once again named after Nehru), which was won by Pak.It was a good/decent tournament but to say that it is in top 3 is just ridiculous, I watched the series and there are many series that are better than this.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
How? Everyone plays everyone (except the team they already played) - it worked great in 92.
But IIRC everyone played everyone in 1992 - was clear and simple and went some way to make the 92 World Cup so great. The Super Eight unsettles the balance of the tournament.

Bit off topic, but I would prefer four groups of four (24 matches), with the first two teams in each group progressing to the second group stage, made up of two groups of four (24+12=36). Semis and final give 39 matches.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sanz said:
First of all WI was not really the best or even second best team in 1989. Pakistan sure was a great team and the undisputed best team of late 80s and early-mid 90s, India-australia-England at the 2nd level, WI and NZL 3rd level followed by the strong minnow SL.

I watched the tournament, it had an unofficial inaugral D/N match between India/Pak in the Asiad Stadium (once again named after Nehru), which was won by Pak.It was a good/decent tournament but to say that it is in top 3 is just ridiculous, I watched the series and there are many series that are better than this.
WI were easily equal to Pak at that time, I think a year before there was a BnH series in Aus and Pak literally got thrashed by Windies who ended up winning it.

I think the problem with ODI's is that since they are too many it means you only remember the WC or tournaments which your team won. The good thing about Nehru cup was it was extreamly unpredictable for e.g Windies loosing to Lanka (who were minnows at that time) and then beating India in the next match, before the start of the last round all 6 teams were in a position to reach the semis which shows its high competitivness. The only good thing it lacked was a truly memorable ODI match though I seriously believe the final would make the list of 25 best Odi's of all time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
More of a shock would be England making the Super 8

FRAZ

International Captain
Super 8 is just perfect I guess . No doubt about it . It is going to be the best thing .

FRAZ

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
That's why the '96 format was weak,.
Doesn't logicaly concern with the 96 WC (may be),but one strong reason that I hate the WC 96 is a semi final b/w Windies and Aussies . That was the point in the history from where Windies graph just fell down completely (Although they were going down already) .But that was a great minus and I guess Richie still had atleast 3 years left in him . He was a great captain but he just could not pull that semi off . You never know if Windies were going to win the world cup or not if they were going to reach the final . But my heart says that "semi final b/w Aus and WI was a match which really messed up the WI future graph" .

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
burkey_1988 said:
The VB Series in 2001/2002 between Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa was a pretty good tournament. I think the thing that really made it for me though was yet another Michael Bevan match-winning innings.

Aus v NZ - 29 Jan 2002
Just when I'd almost forgotten it. :(

Great innings though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
Just when I'd almost forgotten it. :(

Great innings though.
Must have been. I never saw the game, but the scorecard asks some questions about Fleming's captaincy like why on earth did Bond not get to bowl his full 10 overs in the circumstances? Or Nash come to that. Anyway, ancient history now.