Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Best ODI tournament ever

  1. #16
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    but Australasia Cup 1986 was your send best ? Apart from a Miandad Six, no one remembers that tournament. And Nehru Cup, Any cup that has a word Nehru in it shouldn't come anywhere near top 10 for cricketing reasons.
    Nope I remember Australasia cup for its huge prize money and Wasim Akram taking a hattrick and bowling very well through out .And you know I like Fast bowlers . real beauty of the game thing as Agarkar is more famous than Kumble in some circles . And why not Nehru , you left the answer so that I ask the question first . So Sanz why not Nehru ?
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

  2. #17
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    And why not Nehru , you left the answer so that I ask the question first . So Uncle Sanz why not Nehru ?
    Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.

  3. #18
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.
    Oh that is some excellent theory . And lol I remember one thing lolol . I used to visit my native village in Punjab .And once a native there tried to organize a tournament for the neighbouring villages and because of his bad understanding of the language and just per habbit of giving the tournaments the name of any famous person ,he named the tournament memorial tournament and he put his dad's name before the memorial . And guess what his dad is still alive to date .hahahaha ..Man we joked the hell out of him . Yeah i know the lame organizers some times .......

  4. #19
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.
    Therefore any cricket tournament with the name Nehru in it can't possibly be any good?


  5. #20
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Therefore any cricket tournament with the name Nehru in it can't possibly be any good?
    Exactly.

  6. #21
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Exactly.
    And Exactly especially I remember the hindi commentator saying " Or Nehru Cup Pakistan ka hua " Translation : And Pakistan wins the Nehru cup . Still remember this sentence . What a performance by Salim Malik . What a super performance .

  7. #22
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    In my humble and honest opinion
    The ingredients of a good tournament
    1. How it is unique ?
    2. how much is the prize money ? (Motivates the players lol )
    3. How many teams in it ?
    4. What type of a format it has ? (I guess the format of 1992 world cup was the best one and the most simple one)
    5. Where it is being played ?
    6. How much drama involved in it ?
    7. How were the performances of the Batsmen and the BOWLERS ?
    8. was the amount of average runs scored in the tournament were of a medium level ?(Because I hate the ODIS where flat track bullies just murder even the best bowlers in the world )
    9. What were the milestones or the important things to remember? As respectable Sanz pointed out Javed's six .
    And I guess Name is not of a significant importance except we call it World cup.
    Last edited by FRAZ; 17-07-2006 at 10:06 PM.

  8. #23
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Exactly.
    Interesting theory, to say the least. Surely the name of the tournament doesn't mean a thing - it's the teams and the environment they're competing in.

  9. #24
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    h

  10. #25
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,133
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    Because of having quarter finals, and giving the chance to even the lamest teams of the world cup to pull out the miracle of beating the better ones ,e.g. hmmmmmmmmmmm South Africans .
    That's why the '96 format was weak, IMHO. With 8 strong cricketing nations it practically meant a bye for them to the quarters. We got there by beating the cricketing superpowers of Holland & The UAE. The last time we've got out of the groups stages, incidentally...

    IIRC Australia chose to forefit their games due to take place in Sri Lanka due to some Tamil Tiger activity or other & still qualified comfortably.

    It concerns me a bit the the porposed "Super 8" format for next year's tournament might mean the same thing happens unless, say, Bangladseh can spring a shock.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  11. #26
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.
    Npower,Benson n Hedges, Wills all played cricket and were brilliant international players.

  12. #27
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    96 and 99 WC's were both great
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  13. #28
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Nehru Cup was great because

    1.It had all test playing nations minus NZL, a thing which is very rare now so this makes it unique.

    2.It was single league basis and vey competitive you can judge it by the league table below.

    MRF Series Nehru Cup - Points Table

    P W L RR pts
    India 5 3 2 4.631 6
    England 5 3 2 4.518 6
    Pakistan 5 3 2 4.296 6
    West Indies 5 3 2 4.127 6
    Australia 5 2 3 4.364 4
    Sri Lanka 5 1 4 4.050 2

    The first 4 teams qualify for the semi finals

    3. It had a gripping final decided in the last over between the two best ODI teams at that
    time.

    So Sanz how can you say it was not a good tournament.

  14. #29
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,852
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    That's why the '96 format was weak, IMHO. With 8 strong cricketing nations it practically meant a bye for them to the quarters. We got there by beating the cricketing superpowers of Holland & The UAE. The last time we've got out of the groups stages, incidentally...

    IIRC Australia chose to forefit their games due to take place in Sri Lanka due to some Tamil Tiger activity or other & still qualified comfortably.

    It concerns me a bit the the porposed "Super 8" format for next year's tournament might mean the same thing happens unless, say, Bangladseh can spring a shock.
    The group stages are nothing more than game time for the minnows and glorified warmups, to be honest. The best thing about the new format will be that the top 8 nations will be playing everyone, not just having one KO game like in 96.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  15. #30
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    The group stages are nothing more than game time for the minnows and glorified warmups, to be honest. The best thing about the new format will be that the top 8 nations will be playing everyone, not just having one KO game like in 96.
    The Super Eight is still messed up though. Confusing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stanford 20/20 Tournament
    By roseboy64 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 24-08-2006, 03:02 AM
  2. Emerging player tournament july in australia.
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 10:45 PM
  3. Players of the tournament
    By Craig in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 02:11 AM
  4. who do you pick to have a good tournament?
    By sledger in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 19-04-2006, 02:58 PM
  5. Tournament
    By Big J in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •