Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ODI tournament ever

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    but Australasia Cup 1986 was your send best ? Apart from a Miandad Six, no one remembers that tournament. And Nehru Cup, Any cup that has a word Nehru in it shouldn't come anywhere near top 10 for cricketing reasons.
    Nope I remember Australasia cup for its huge prize money and Wasim Akram taking a hattrick and bowling very well through out .And you know I like Fast bowlers . real beauty of the game thing as Agarkar is more famous than Kumble in some circles . And why not Nehru , you left the answer so that I ask the question first . So Sanz why not Nehru ?
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    And why not Nehru , you left the answer so that I ask the question first . So Uncle Sanz why not Nehru ?
    Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.

International Captain
    Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.
    Oh that is some excellent theory . And lol I remember one thing lolol . I used to visit my native village in Punjab .And once a native there tried to organize a tournament for the neighbouring villages and because of his bad understanding of the language and just per habbit of giving the tournaments the name of any famous person ,he named the tournament memorial tournament and he put his dad's name before the memorial . And guess what his dad is still alive to date .hahahaha ..Man we joked the hell out of him . Yeah i know the lame organizers some times .......

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Therefore any cricket tournament with the name Nehru in it can't possibly be any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Therefore any cricket tournament with the name Nehru in it can't possibly be any good?
    Exactly.

International Captain
    Exactly.
    And Exactly especially I remember the hindi commentator saying " Or Nehru Cup Pakistan ka hua " Translation : And Pakistan wins the Nehru cup . Still remember this sentence . What a performance by Salim Malik . What a super performance .

International Captain
    In my humble and honest opinion
    The ingredients of a good tournament
    1. How it is unique ?
    2. how much is the prize money ? (Motivates the players lol )
    3. How many teams in it ?
    4. What type of a format it has ? (I guess the format of 1992 world cup was the best one and the most simple one)
    5. Where it is being played ?
    6. How much drama involved in it ?
    7. How were the performances of the Batsmen and the BOWLERS ?
    8. was the amount of average runs scored in the tournament were of a medium level ?(Because I hate the ODIS where flat track bullies just murder even the best bowlers in the world )
    9. What were the milestones or the important things to remember? As respectable Sanz pointed out Javed's six .
    And I guess Name is not of a significant importance except we call it World cup.
    Last edited by FRAZ; 17-07-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Exactly.
    Interesting theory, to say the least. Surely the name of the tournament doesn't mean a thing - it's the teams and the environment they're competing in.

International Captain
    h

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    Because of having quarter finals, and giving the chance to even the lamest teams of the world cup to pull out the miracle of beating the better ones ,e.g. hmmmmmmmmmmm South Africans .
    That's why the '96 format was weak, IMHO. With 8 strong cricketing nations it practically meant a bye for them to the quarters. We got there by beating the cricketing superpowers of Holland & The UAE. The last time we've got out of the groups stages, incidentally...

IIRC Australia chose to forefit their games due to take place in Sri Lanka due to some Tamil Tiger activity or other & still qualified comfortably.

It concerns me a bit the the porposed "Super 8" format for next year's tournament might mean the same thing happens unless, say, Bangladseh can spring a shock.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Npower,Benson n Hedges, Wills all played cricket and were brilliant international players.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    96 and 99 WC's were both great
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Nehru Cup was great because

1.It had all test playing nations minus NZL, a thing which is very rare now so this makes it unique.

2.It was single league basis and vey competitive you can judge it by the league table below.

MRF Series Nehru Cup - Points Table

P W L RR pts
    India 5 3 2 4.631 6
    England 5 3 2 4.518 6
    Pakistan 5 3 2 4.296 6
    West Indies 5 3 2 4.127 6
    Australia 5 2 3 4.364 4
    Sri Lanka 5 1 4 4.050 2

The first 4 teams qualify for the semi finals

3. It had a gripping final decided in the last over between the two best ODI teams at that
    time.

So Sanz how can you say it was not a good tournament.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    That's why the '96 format was weak, IMHO. With 8 strong cricketing nations it practically meant a bye for them to the quarters. We got there by beating the cricketing superpowers of Holland & The UAE. The last time we've got out of the groups stages, incidentally...

IIRC Australia chose to forefit their games due to take place in Sri Lanka due to some Tamil Tiger activity or other & still qualified comfortably.

It concerns me a bit the the porposed "Super 8" format for next year's tournament might mean the same thing happens unless, say, Bangladseh can spring a shock.
    The group stages are nothing more than game time for the minnows and glorified warmups, to be honest. The best thing about the new format will be that the top 8 nations will be playing everyone, not just having one KO game like in 96.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    The group stages are nothing more than game time for the minnows and glorified warmups, to be honest. The best thing about the new format will be that the top 8 nations will be playing everyone, not just having one KO game like in 96.
    The Super Eight is still messed up though. Confusing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information