• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Domestic Season 2006/07

James

Cricket Web Owner
A media release from NZC with the contracted players for the 2006/07 season

New Zealand Cricket said:
Major Associations announce contracted players lists

The Major Associations have today released the list of players to be offered Major Association contracts for the 2006/07 season.

This year 12 players are being offered contracts by each Major Association under the interim player agreement between New Zealand Cricket, the Major Associations and the New Zealand Cricket Players Association. Previously 11 players were contracted by each Major Association.

The players offered contracts are:

State Auckland Aces

Carl Cachopa
Tama Canning
Derek de Boorder
Martin Guptill
Paul Hitchcock
Richard Jones
Tim Lythe
Tim McIntosh
Andy McKay
Rob Nicol
Lance Shaw
Reece Young

State Canterbury Wizards

Todd Astle
Hamish Bennett
Leighton Burtt
Andrew Ellis
Chris Harris
Brandan Hiini
Craig McMillan
Iain Robertson
Richard Sherlock
Shanan Stewart
Kruger Van Wyk
Paul Wiseman
State Central Stags

Geoff Barnett
Chris Cruikshank
Brendon Diamanti
Campbell Furlong
Bevan Griggs
Lance Hamilton
Greg Hay
Brent Hefford
Greg Hegglun
Dominic Rayner
Ewen Thompson
Tim Weston

State Northern Knights

Graeme Aldridge
Ian Butler
Alun Evans
Daniel Flynn
Nick Horsley
Peter McGlashan
James Marshall
Bruce Martin
Mark Orchard
Daryl Tuffey
BJ Watling
Joseph Yovich

State Otago Volts

Neil Broom
Craig Cumming
Gareth Hopkins
Nathan McCullum
James McMillan
Warren McSkimming
Aaron Redmond
Bradley Scott
Gareth Shaw
Jordan Sheed
Craig Smith
Greg Todd

State Wellington Firebirds

Matthew Bell
Dewayne Bowden
Grant Elliot
Sam Fairley
Mark Gillespie
Stuart Mills
Chris Nevin
Iain O’Brien
Michael Parlane
Neal Parlane
Jesse Ryder
Luke Woodcock

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tuffey is going over to Sutherland in September, and the domestic season in NZ doesn't start until late November/early December so that gives him roughly two/three months in Australia.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
DO they get any sort of crowds to domestic cricket in NZ?

And are there many young players say 17-20 that get a go in domestic cricket over there?

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
At first I wondered where all the Black Caps were, then I remembered they have contracts directly under NZC.

Thinking about this...it gives an unfair adavntage to the teams with more Black Caps in their squad as they are not paying their saleries and can are able to have, overall, a larger squad.

Perhaps there should be a quota system of some sort for international representitives playing for their domestic teams to ensure, not only that talent is spread evenly, but that certain domestic teams, Canterbury is an example, dont have unfairly large squads to choose from.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
thedarkmullet said:
At first I wondered where all the Black Caps were, then I remembered they have contracts directly under NZC.

Thinking about this...it gives an unfair adavntage to the teams with more Black Caps in their squad as they are not paying their saleries and can are able to have, overall, a larger squad.
This very frustration was aired by Otago CEO Ross Dykes when the NZC 20 contracts were announced. It does make it harder for a team like Otago, which last season punched above its weight.

And I wonder where James got that press release from... :D

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
No - Wasim wasn't back last season. Was replaced in the Otago Volts by Jonathan Trott, who has just confirmed he'll be back here next year - a great bonus for the Volts.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voltman said:
No - Wasim wasn't back last season. Was replaced in the Otago Volts by Jonathan Trott, who has just confirmed he'll be back here next year - a great bonus for the Volts.
Are you pulling on the lycra for another season?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
My lycra days are WELL behind me. Besides, thanks to having an office job for the last few years, I'm not sure if I'd still fit...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voltman said:
My lycra days are WELL behind me. Besides, thanks to having an office job for the last few years, I'm not sure if I'd still fit...
Really? I just assumed you wore the lycra whilst sitting at the desk.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
Really? I just assumed you wore the lycra whilst sitting at the desk.
You're thinking of my leather chaps...

Actually, stop thinking about them - it's making me feel queasy.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
Do all the sides regualrly employ overseas players?
Not necessarily "regularly" but there's usually one or two floating around every year. Otago, for example, had Neil Mallender play about 10 seaons for them from about 1982-1992, and more recently Matthew Maynard, Mohammed Wasim and Jonathan Trott.

FRAZ

International Captain
Voltman said:
Not necessarily "regularly" but there's usually one or two floating around every year. Otago, for example, had Neil Mallender play about 10 seaons for them from about 1982-1992, and more recently Matthew Maynard, Mohammed Wasim and Jonathan Trott.
Just curious Voltman, How much does a normal crickter makes there in Newzealand while playing the league? I mean do they pay well or no .

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Just curious Voltman, How much does a normal crickter makes there in Newzealand while playing the league? I mean do they pay well or no .
James' figures were about right.The problem up until 2002 (when the players' dispute came into play) was that first-class cricketers were struggling to hold down jobs in which they'd have to give up their summers pretty much full-time to cricket. Needless to say, many cricketers gave up the game due to unsympathetic employers.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
good bonus for otago to get trott interesting that craig smith was contracted but id say he'll mature into a pretty good bowler hopefully he can end up doing the same s\job shayne o'conner did for us