• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Coach in world cricket?

FRAZ

International Captain
Yes Woolmer is a genius ,but Indian Greg is better in many departments . I think more than Woolmer this is Inzamam who is responsible for making the team do the "team work"..............

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Considering what he's done with his very limited player resources, I think Dav Whatmore's been pretty good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Buchanan (much as I don't like particularly) is in a no-win situation. If Oz win it's like whoop-de-do, you've got the best players, mate; but if they lose (as rare as hens' teeth, but it has happened :D) he's crucified for more or less the same thing.

Woolmer for me, anyway. Although it will be interesting to see how big Dav gets on trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear; he did a stirling job at SL.

FRAZ

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
Isn't the role of Coaches overrated in Cricket especially for international teams.
Indeed is . So does Imran thinks. I think a captain's role is more significant than that of a coach . I heard Imran Khan saying this and he is absolutely right . And guess what Imran's favorite Viv Richards also thinks so . I do not have the evidence right now but I definitely remember Imran saying this and I think there was a discussion here on CW about this topic a long time ago .

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Woolmer for me. He is at the top of the tree.

As for the role of coches being overrated, Im not sure it is.
- They obviously have a great input in the preparation of the side
- They allow continuity of roles and ideas as captains come and go (eg Hussain to Vaughan to whoever is Englands captain this week)
- Its valuable to have a selector that deals with the players on a daily basis rather than just selectors the watch occasional games. They have a far greater insight into a players deficiencies and mind set.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think the role of coaches has become more important today. In Imran's and Viv's days, I would agree that the Captain was the key, and the coaches over-rated. Today, however, I think the roles are equal in importance. With the evolution of technology and strategy, the coach becomes more important IMO. I think this is even more true for the subcontinent, which is now placing more importance on having a proper domestic structure and then providing the players with the right coaching help once they reach the international circuit. I felt this was neglected in the past. And I may be biased, but I think Woolmer is a genius and is probably the best coach around.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, when Woolmer is interviewed, he sounds very dithery and sometimes as if he's not quite sure of what he's talking about. It makes you sit there and thinks "and this is that so-called 'genius'?"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
IMO, when Woolmer is interviewed, he sounds very dithery and sometimes as if he's not quite sure of what he's talking about. It makes you sit there and thinks "and this is that so-called 'genius'?"
They said exactly the same thing about Sven Goran Eriksson....oh, hang on....

Fusion

Global Moderator
steds said:
I think that's because he's purposely being vague. I used to read his Q&A on his website and his answers there would sometimes elicit the same thought. I have determined that when it comes to discussing strategy, he purposely becomes coy because he doesn't want to reveal anything specific.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
Langers, why do you have the N1 sign to Pretoria on your avatar? I know its not your part of the world.
I used to live in Roodepoort, although I didnt take that photo I'm really fond of JHB and Pretoria.. Gutted I didn't go there when I was last in SA

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Woolmer isn't the best coach at the moment in my opinion simply because as far as I see he hasn't done anything with Pakistan, they still bowl too many no balls and the young players haven't learnt to play swing. A prime example of Woolmer not being effective is Salman Butt, when he burst on the scene he looked like someone who could play in most condtions (Hundred at Sydney) and now he has had a simple technical fault (edging it to the slips virtually everytime) which has not been changed for over a year.
Others like Farhat and Iqbal suffer the same problem
Sami has gone from having potential, to bad, to awful. Now he seems to be bowling line and length where is the pace???!!!
In my opinion Moody is one of the upcoming great coaches and Dev Whatmore for what he did with Sri Lanka and is now attempting with Bangladesh