• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Coach in world cricket?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Run like Inzy said:
Sami may loose his gameplan and give away runs but thats something he has always done. The thing I am worried about is why he seems to have shortened his run up and is now bowling 5 MPH slower than before. He was an attacking bowler who together with Shoaib formed a potentially lehtal partnership on paper - two bowlers at 90+MPH, now he is bowling in the mid eighties and is not the strike bowler we need in the abscence of Shoaib and Rana
Define LETHAL.

I maybe wrong in assuming you meant lethal when you said 'lehtal' in which case ignore this :)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Turbinator said:
You guys are insane to pick anyone else other than chappel as the best coach. I mean look at what he's done with the Indian fielding!!!!!!!!!!!

Before Greg Chappel, Indian feilding was completely pathetic, now you look at Indian fielding it's as good as Australian fielding. India has top class fielders and those who arent so top class turned top class thx to Chappel.

Bob Woolmer cant do **** with Pakistani fielding. Pakistan still suffers, even after many years under Woolmer, in fielding.

I agree fielding is not the only thing and other things play a role to in determining a coaches ability, however, IMO Chappel is a far better coach than Woolmer.
Many of the comments in this thread are true - it's hard to assess the true value of a coach, particularly when so much of it in the press is represented as mind-games and over-analysis. Also, everybody clamors to give as much credit as possible to coaches who have improved lesser-performing teams (which is not entirely unwarranted), whereas coaches in charge of strong teams get very little (which may also be true, although it clearly means that those who haven't had a chance to coach lesser-performing international teams to higher achievements are a little disadvantaged in the comparison).

One aspect that I believe is crucial though, is fielding and catching. When a team is not performing, it's one of the first things to look at. Teams that are sharp in the field and that look well-drilled and disciplined are at least not throwing wickets away, and it's something a coach can obviously work on. Which is one of the major reasons that Bob Simpson and Dav Whatmore have deserving reputations. IMO, if a coach can't improve basic skills like fielding and catching (or ensure they're solid), questions have to be asked. I'm reminded of when John Buchanan threw his arms up in the air and said he couldn't solve Brett Lee's no-ball problem. Dennis Lillee volunteered to assist, and it was mostly resolved very quickly.

IMO, Australia's issues with catching in recent years and incidents like the above imply that Buchanan is perhaps reaping the benefits of coaching the Aussie cricket team more so than the reverse, somewhat like Alan Joyce and the Hawthorn AFL side of the late 80's.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Chappell hasn't been around long enough to be counted.
Of the current crop it has to be Woolmer for me. The Pakistan team just seems to gel far more than before.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Armadillo said:
Chappell hasn't been around long enough to be counted.
Of the current crop it has to be Woolmer for me. The Pakistan team just seems to gel far more than before.
Video evidence please 8-)