• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Coach in world cricket?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Run like Inzy said:
Woolmer isn't the best coach at the moment in my opinion simply because as far as I see he hasn't done anything with Pakistan, they still bowl too many no balls and the young players haven't learnt to play swing. A prime example of Woolmer not being effective is Salman Butt, when he burst on the scene he looked like someone who could play in most condtions (Hundred at Sydney) and now he has had a simple technical fault (edging it to the slips virtually everytime) which has not been changed for over a year.
Others like Farhat and Iqbal suffer the same problem
Sami has gone from having potential, to bad, to awful. Now he seems to be bowling line and length where is the pace???!!!
In my opinion Moody is one of the upcoming great coaches and Dev Whatmore for what he did with Sri Lanka and is now attempting with Bangladesh
Conveniently forgetting Woolmer and Hansie's SA team.. And an indisciplined team isn't always the coaches fault

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Run like Inzy said:
Woolmer isn't the best coach at the moment in my opinion simply because as far as I see he hasn't done anything with Pakistan, they still bowl too many no balls and the young players haven't learnt to play swing. A prime example of Woolmer not being effective is Salman Butt, when he burst on the scene he looked like someone who could play in most condtions (Hundred at Sydney) and now he has had a simple technical fault (edging it to the slips virtually everytime) which has not been changed for over a year.
Sami has gone from having potential, to bad, to awful. Now he seems to be bowling line and length where is the pace???!!!
In my opinion Moody is one of the upcoming great coaches and Dev Whatmore for what he did with Sri Lanka and is now attempting with Bangladesh
Test series victories against India, England and away to Sri Lanka mean anything?

Also the emergence of Mohammad Asif, who I believe Woolmer was very keen on in having in the team.

Fusion

Global Moderator
TT Boy said:
Test series victories against India, England and away to Sri Lanka mean anything?

Also the emergence of Mohammad Asif, who I believe Woolmer was very keen on in having in the team.

Not to mention Afridi under his tenure has become a vital part of the Test squad. Shoaib Malik is another. Woolmer also had the fortitude to stand up to Akhtar and get him in line (and leave him out of the team when he wasn't). He has improved the fitness level of the team exponentially. And under him Pakistan are ranked 2nd in the world. Yes, clearly Woolmer has done nothing! 8-) All dropped catches are his fault.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Run like Inzy said:
Both Butt and Sami have serious mental issues. Butt looks like someone who has a great fear of failure, he is always tensed while batting and if he gets out in one fashion then he feels that he will always get out in the same manner.

As for Sami, Rameez Raja has already mentioned he is very sensitive and whenever he gets hit for a single boundary he just looses his focus and drifts away from the game plan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Many former players believe coaches are close to insignificant. Ian Chappell has voiced his opinion many times regarding the issue.

In answer to the original question, I'd go Dav Whatmore.

FRAZ

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
As for Sami, Rameez Raja has already mentioned he is very sensitive and whenever he gets hit for a single boundary he just looses his focus and drifts away from the game plan.
Sami is not the only Pakistani bowler who does so .
Sami's length is his problem and he is just too predictable some times .

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Jono said:
Many former players believe coaches are close to insignificant. Ian Chappell has voiced his opinion many times regarding the issue.

In answer to the original question, I'd go Dav Whatmore.
I agree, the coach plays a small role.
Under Woolmer, Gul has looked nothing like Lahore 2004, Shabbirs action has not been corrected, Butt and Farhat have lost it, fielding, no balls, run outs remain the same and most success has been based upon regular players who played well even under Javed.
The factor which I would give credit for recent succes is unity under Inzy as a leader not Woolmer. Woolmer can only be credited for helping to find Akmal and Asif.
In my view he has not done anything drastically different to what he did with SA and Warwickshire before but Pakistan is a different team, and the true measure of the greatest coach would be to transform Pakistan team technically.
Victory is a performance measure - the most important - but if we are still winning in the same fashion we use to where is the coaching effect?

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Xuhaib said:
Both Butt and Sami have serious mental issues. Butt looks like someone who has a great fear of failure, he is always tensed while batting and if he gets out in one fashion then he feels that he will always get out in the same manner.

Sami may loose his gameplan and give away runs but thats something he has always done. The thing I am worried about is why he seems to have shortened his run up and is now bowling 5 MPH slower than before. He was an attacking bowler who together with Shoaib formed a potentially lehtal partnership on paper - two bowlers at 90+MPH, now he is bowling in the mid eighties and is not the strike bowler we need in the abscence of Shoaib and Rana

jot1

State Vice-Captain
IMO Woolmer did a lot for our side while he was the Saffies coach. The same now for the Pakistanis.
Something is bothering me about him, though.
The two nearly biggest scandals in international cricketing history about cheating has involved teams he just happens to be coaching at the time.
Makes you think, doesn't it?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
You guys are insane to pick anyone else other than chappel as the best coach. I mean look at what he's done with the Indian fielding!!!!!!!!!!!

Before Greg Chappel, Indian feilding was completely pathetic, now you look at Indian fielding it's as good as Australian fielding. India has top class fielders and those who arent so top class turned top class thx to Chappel.

Bob Woolmer cant do **** with Pakistani fielding. Pakistan still suffers, even after many years under Woolmer, in fielding.

I agree fielding is not the only thing and other things play a role to in determining a coaches ability, however, IMO Chappel is a far better coach than Woolmer.

Complicated

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Whatmore, his past expliots with Sri Lanka are impressive. Just on what he's done with Bangladesh though, he took a team no one wanted to coach and is slowly turning them around. You wonder what he could do if given another 5 years.