• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Current Commentary Team -A poll

Best Current TV Commentary Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's a poll on which commentary team members of the forum think is the best current commentary Team .

I am seeking opinions because, I have been absolutely impressed by SKY's current commentary Team of David Gower, Michael Atherton, Ian Botham, Nasser Hussain, Micahel Holding, Bumble :) David Lloyd +/- Rameez Raja .

IMO this team will give the Channel 9 team a run for their money. The Channel 9 has some impressive guys in Richie Benud , Ian Chappell , Tony Greig but overall the Sky Team IMO is very impressive and wins my vote over the 9 team. Your opinions please .

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't particularly like the Sky team. For one, it includes Ian Botham and David Lloyd, which is going to drag any commentary team down. I like Gower, Atherton, Hussein and Holding.

The 9 team isn't too great either, but they do have Benaud, and apparently will now also have Michael Slater, who is a great commentator. I don't mind Greig or Chappell, and while Healy and Lawry annoy me they aren't quite as bad as Botham and Lloyd respectively. I'd rate the 9 team slightly better.

The Channel 4 team last year in England was a great commentary team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Channel 5 over here is actually pretty ok; Nicholas doing his enthusiastic vicar thing as anchor with Simon Hughes & Sir Geoffrey.

They obv need more for whole day's live coverage, but for 45 minute highlights package it's pretty good value.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think Sky Sports is excellent. Only change I would make would be to add Boycott.
Never really enjoyed Channel 9 coverage though it could have improved since the last time I have heard it. Richie Benaud was great but I now find him past his best and Tony Grieg is a joke.
To me Grieg is crickets equivelent of Tommy Smyth (ESPN soccer), ie you must take what he says, reverse it and then get to what actually happened.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sky easily, can not stand Ian Chappell harp on why every batsman today was never as good as he was. Bill Lawry for his relentless bias and that pathetic yelp he does when an Australian gets a wicket “GOT HIM!”. I actually do not mind Ian Healy, again like Lawry he does not understand that two teams are playing not just Australia but his sheer randomness makes him good for a laugh.

Elsewhere enjoy the South African commentary feed we get in the UK, Robin Jackman, Mike Haysman and co. are usually very good and Jackman always has a good ‘story’ to tell.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
I like David Lloyd but I feel he does not have the capacity to critique a 'proper' game of cricket or a cricketer for that matter. His always a good listen but his very light weight in his opinions especially on England and the opposition which he usually has no clue about. Whereas Hussain and Atherton do not mind criticising and telling it how it is.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but i think Bumble complements the others (apart from Botham who i can't stand) pretty well. The sky team has definitely improved this year with the axing of willis from test cricket the biggest improvement, the guy from Pakistan is okay as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
They obv need more for whole day's live coverage, but for 45 minute highlights package it's pretty good value.
Don't they still have to be sat there the whole day though?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
yeah but i think Bumble complements the others (apart from Botham who i can't stand) pretty well. The sky team has definitely improved this year with the axing of willis from test cricket the biggest improvement, the guy from Pakistan is okay as well.
LOL, Rameez Raja, his ok but the guy fancies himself no end, with his shades permanently fixated to his face. Anyone tell him he looks like Carlos the Jackal in pomp.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Don't they still have to be sat there the whole day though?
Probably, but as it isn't live I imagine there are times when there is just one of the three is "on", as it were. Has to be much easier to cover up it a highlight show. If it were live it'd be obvious the commentator was talking to himself.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TT Boy said:
LOL, Rameez Raja, his ok but the guy fancies himself no end, with his shades permanently fixated to his face. Anyone tell him he looks like Carlos the Jackal in pomp.

Er, I think you should have a trip to these people:

Rameez Raja:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Probably, but as it isn't live I imagine there are times when there is just one of the three is "on", as it were. Has to be much easier to cover up it a highlight show. If it were live it'd be obvious the commentator was talking to himself.
IIRC in Hughes book he talks about when he used to do the highlights packages for England tours when they were shown on Channel 4 (Pakistan tour etc) he used to go down to the studio after the days play and voiceover the highlights. I imagine that is whats happening here.

howardj

International Coach
Lawry, Benaud and Greig should be replaced. Though Greig in England 2005 was great (goes to show how he goes into auto-pilot and takes his position for granted out here in Australia). Hopefully with KP's passing, all the aforementioned will be 'retired'. Anyway, Athers is a welcome addition to an otherwise ordinary SKY team - don't mind Nass and Gower though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, it'd be hell here without Benaud and Greig. Then we'd have to listen to the likes of Healy and Taylor all the time. Benaud's not what he used to be, but he's still a cut above the rest, and he adds some much needed class and objectivity to proceedings.