• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Current Commentary Team -A poll

Best Current TV Commentary Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

howardj

International Coach
Yeah Heals and Taylor can be somewhat grating, and must horrify supporters of touring teams. Time to bring on Slats and James Brayshaw!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Yeah Heals and Taylor can be somewhat grating, and must horrify supporters of touring teams. Time to bring on Slats and James Brayshaw!
I hate Brayshaw in the AFL, so I'd rather avoid having him in the cricket as well. Slater will be a welcome addition though, definately more in the Benaud mould of someone who is serious about the game and has interesting things to add to proceedings. 9 has more than enough 'colour commentators' as it is.

I don't really dislike Taylor that much, but he doesn't really have that much to add for someone who had such a great mind for the game. A bit of a disappointment as a commentator in general.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah it's all about adding something to the actual pictures, as you say. There are some extremely learned cricket viewers out there, and unless you can provide an insight or throw up some ideas to chew over, then most knowledgable supporters will find the commentator a bit useless / superfluous.

Unfortunately, because it's broadcast to the masses, TV commentary will always be dumbed down to an extent, and thus keep the likes of Lawry in a job. I actually enjoy (even just in terms of their thoughts on the match or cricket in general - not just commentary) listening to professional broadcasters and journalists, more so than most former players. Guys such as Jim Maxwell, Tim Lane, Robert Craddock and Mike Coward.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think former players with a bit of a brain and a good mind for the game usually make decent commentators, particularly captains, as shown by the likes of Benaud, Chappell to a lesser extent, and more recently Hussein, who is turning out quite well. Taylor shows that this doesn't always apply, though. However, cricket players aren't always the most naturally attuned to the requirements of broadcasting, and aren't always the most eloquent or interesting guys either, so it doesn't make sense to assume that only ex-players will be fit for the positions. As you say, there's plenty of good examples to suggest otherwise, while the likes of Healy, Jones and Botham played the game and yet are pretty terrible at calling it.

I think the ex-players and colour commentators policy in Australia is a Packer-related thing. The guy he put in charge of revamping the 9 coverage (forget the name offhand) looked for a simple, "family-oriented" presentation of the game, which basically translated into recognisable ex-players who don't make it seem too complicated. Hence, Bill Lawry.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
The sky team has definitely improved this year with the axing of willis from test cricket the biggest improvement
Colville.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the New Zealand commentary team (Sky Sports is it?) is by far the best in world cricket. Jerry Coney's pitch reports are excellent, a mixture of tons of knowledge and humour. And in general, I find their comments to be objective, interesting, and at times humourous. I think that's what you're looking for in a television commentary team, to add something to the pictures but not too deep and thought-provoking.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
burkey_1988 said:
I think the New Zealand commentary team (Sky Sports is it?) is by far the best in world cricket. Jerry Coney's pitch reports are excellent, a mixture of tons of knowledge and humour. And in general, I find their comments to be objective, interesting, and at times humourous. I think that's what you're looking for in a television commentary team, to add something to the pictures but not too deep and thought-provoking.
Has to be sarcasm surely...

Smith is dire.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sky has the better personnel at the moment, but I enjoy watching 9 more. I have absolutely no idea why.

Athers, Hussein and Holding are class in my opinion, and I'm quite a fan of Gower as well. Bumble, as someone said earlier, compliments the rest quite well.

Regarding Channel 9, I'll always be a fan of Greig, I feel he adds something. Benaud is still good enough and if Slats is on then its even better. I've also made clear that I'm a fan of Chappelli as well. Problem is, whilst Sky really only has Botham that I don't like listening too, or am just lukewarm about, 9 has Taylor, Healy, Lawry when he's in one of his moods etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont have that much of a regard for Atherton as a commentator. He was incredibly ordinary when he was in India during the BG trophy in 2004. And he was worse to meet in person. His commentary (and bias) is even more boring than his batting.

Bob Willis + Athers commentating = mute button. 'nuff said.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I like Hussain. He isnt afraid to bring out his inner geek.

He is brave enough to talk about stuff other commentators would not mention for fear of being boring that appeals to people like myself (and Im sure many others).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Martin Crowe and Ian Smith could be particularly irritating when they started having a go at each other. Although it made for good entertainment.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The worst commentary team I've heard was in South Africa recently. It was absolutely dire most of the time, and easily the most biased I've ever heard, not to mention the lack of any interesting insignts into the game from any of them.

New Zealand was fine, and Smith is a fair bit better when he's commentating in New Zealand rather than in Australia. Still somewhat biased, but no worse than many commentators. Certainly not as biased as someone like Lloyd or Lawry.

I don't know how people could find Atherton's commentary biased really, unless it's just because they disagree with the opinions he expresses in his writing on cricket.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I prefer to put up with the time delay between television and radio and listen to the ABC commentry. Kerry O'Keefe is the best commentator ever. Not only is he a riot, he has great insight into the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
biased in the sense that I have almost never heard him talk highly of Lara and I have never heard him criticize someone like Dravid. He seems to have his likes and dislikes and his commentary revolves around that, rather than being a normal impartial commentator.

plus, all u had to do was to listen to him during the ODIs when England were here... He was all "we are not playing full strength" most of the time, although to his credit, he did make very good points in some his articles in the newspapers.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
biased in the sense that I have almost never heard him talk highly of Lara and I have never heard him criticize someone like Dravid. He seems to have his likes and dislikes and his commentary revolves around that, rather than being a normal impartial commentator.

plus, all u had to do was to listen to him during the ODIs when England were here... He was all "we are not playing full strength" most of the time, although to his credit, he did make very good points in some his articles in the newspapers.
Who are you referring to?:unsure: