• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minnows Test Status Issue

FRAZ

International Captain
I think that the 5 day format should be introduced purely for the non test playing nations .
I mean this method of picking and chosing minnows after they win one odd one dayer is not a good method at all . Minnows should be exposed to the longer version to learn the skills . And also the tours and tournamanets should be arranged properly and not just certain trophies or tournaments be given attention .
For example Namibia visiting Holland
5 one dayers and 2 tests ....
Solutions?

well i think that the Intercontinental Cup is a bit riddled it doesnt actually give the nations a chance to string a lot of matches together thats why i think it would be better having an 8 Nation teir below the top teir with each of them playing two series a year 1 home 1 away each with 3 tests and 5 onde dayers this gives the smaller countries somethign to aim for.
And i would hate to see this promotion relagation stuff just too inconsistent if a team had dominated this cup for say 5 or 6 years lets chuck em too the wolves and give Test Status.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
AussieDominance said:
well i think that the Intercontinental Cup is a bit riddled it doesnt actually give the nations a chance to string a lot of matches together thats why i think it would be better having an 8 Nation teir below the top teir with each of them playing two series a year 1 home 1 away each with 3 tests and 5 onde dayers this gives the smaller countries somethign to aim for.
And i would hate to see this promotion relagation stuff just too inconsistent if a team had dominated this cup for say 5 or 6 years lets chuck em too the wolves and give Test Status.
Unfortunately, you can't do that, because they're all amateurs and can't take enough time off work.

Yeah but say if a Test Playing Nation buddies up with one of these nations and helps funding it could help as well as the ICC chipping in to do there bit

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
Yeah but say if a Test Playing Nation buddies up with one of these nations and helps funding it could help as well as the ICC chipping in to do there bit
England, who are hardly a poor Test nation, can barely afford their own central contracts. They need to find the money to give out more.

God only knows what Zimbabwe could afford to contribute.

The only way the Test nations can really help is to schedule games in those countries in order to raise revenue for the hosting Association.

FRAZ

International Captain
I guess longer version helps improve the technical skills of the players . And I have another idea too and i.e. to ban the cement pitch cricket or the artificial pitch cricket . I mean it's ok to practise on'em but I do not think that proper matches should be played on cement pitches.
I guess the idea that I presented i.e. to arrange and schedule the tours of the minnows just like the top class test playing nations is a good idea .

Goughy said:
England, who are hardly a poor Test nation, can barely afford their own central contracts. They need to find the money to give out more.

The only way the Test nations can really help is to schedule games in those countries in order to raise revenue for the hosting Association.
but then Australia has 25 contracted players

Goughy said:

but then Australia has 25 contracted players and all england supply contracts for is for a below standard county championship that has way too many players in it where they could save so much just having 1 division

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
AussieDominance said:
but then Australia has 25 contracted players and all england supply contracts for is for a below standard county championship that has way too many players in it where they could save so much just having 1 division
But the ECB aren't paying county players, the clubs are?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
AussieDominance said:
No England contracts 12 players from the counties playing staff.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
From next year, the Intercontinental Cup will be a round robin affair between the top 8 Associates giving each team seven 4-day matches. There will also be a final for the top two.
With ODI's scheduled around the I.C matches (which seems to be the pattern at the moment), that will probably account for about as much as the Associates will be able to afford just at the moment. Certainly Kenya, who do pay the squad an allowance while training, plus a match fee, would struggle to pay for more just at the moment.
As the sport grows in the Associates, and I'm sure it will, this could possibly be expanded.
For those Associates who can afford it, I see no reason why they cannot arrange extra 4-day matches against each other without waiting for the ICC.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
I dont know where to start with that statement so Ill just leave it.

FRAZ

International Captain
I guess sending the country's national team to the leagues of the neighbouring countries is a good idea too . e.g. Scotland . Afghanistan recently played in Pakistan . Nepal should be playing in India and I guess teams like Namibia should be playing in South African league... I dont know if it hurts ..

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
FRAZ said:
I guess sending the country's national team to the leagues of the neighbouring countries is a good idea too . e.g. Scotland . Afghanistan recently played in Pakistan . Nepal should be playing in India and I guess teams like Namibia should be playing in South African league... I dont know if it hurts ..
This would certainly help the standard, but where the countries are not right next door to each other would put a big dent in the coffers. For example, Kenya could not afford to spend the whole of the SA season there for example (financially too dear, and it would kill our own domestic season), and I can't realistically see SA sides flying to Kenya for 'away' games either. Some combinations that would probably work would be:
Scotland, Ireland, Holland in England.
Afghanistan in Pakistan.
Bermuda in West Indies.
Namibia in South Africa
and Nepal in India.

I think a more likely way for Associates to improve against quality opposition is hosting 'A' team tours from full members. Say 2 four day matches and a few ODIs.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I totally agree, although the ICC is allowing them to play each other in the intercontinnental trophy (FC) and now ODIs, the asscociates should play in A team FC matches e.g the top end series going on now