• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cheats XI

Xuhaib

International Coach
My team

1.Atherton (Dirt in the pocket)
2.Afridi (Pitch incident)
3.Azharuddin (Match fixing)
4.S.Malik (Match fixing)
5.M.Odoumbe (Match fixing)
6.Cronje (c) (Match fixing)
7.R.Latif (Unfair catch claim)
8.Warne (Drugs)
9.Roy Gilchrist (Delibrate dangerous bowling)
10.P.Lever (Ball tampering)
11.Ed.Giddons (Drugs)​

Swervy

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
My team

1.Atherton (Dirt in the pocket)
2.Afridi (Pitch incident)
3.Azharuddin (Match fixing)
4.S.Malik (Match fixing)
5.M.Odoumbe (Match fixing)
6.Cronje (c) (Match fixing)
7.R.Latif (Unfair catch claim)
8.Warne (Drugs)
9.Roy Gilchrist (Delibrate dangerous bowling)
10.P.Lever (Ball tampering)
11.Ed.Giddons (Drugs)​
i think you need to be very careful about some of the things you are saying here???

Is taking recreational drugs a form of cheating??? (ie Giddins taking cocaine)...was Peter lever actually found guilty of tampering with the ball????

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How long will this thread last?

Ill have a think and maybe post in 1/2 hr if it has not been closed.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Swervy said:
i think you need to be very careful about some of the things you are saying here???

Is taking recreational drugs a form of cheating??? (ie Giddins taking cocaine)...was Peter lever actually found guilty of tampering with the ball????
Peter Lever i think admitted he did tamper with the ball and as for Giddons i was unaware it was a recreational drug, may be we can replace him with Chris Pringle.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Atherton (ball tampering as England captain)
Jadeja (match fixing)
Mohammad Azharuddin (match fixing)
Cronje (capt) (match fixing)
Saleem Malik (match fixing)
Imran Khan (admiting to using fingernails and bottle tops to tamper with ball in county cricket)
Manoj Prabhakar (match fixing)
Latif (5 game ban for claiming a grounded catch)
Warne (Selling info to bookmakers and diuretics)
Murali (the appealing and being repeatedly called for throwing)
Roy Gilchrist (beamer, beamers and more beamers)

Looks similar to the other list.

Others that could be added,
Viv Richards- intimidating an umpire and claiming a dismissal (when Rob Bailey got nowhere close to touching the ball) and deliberately and massively slow overrates when the situation needed it. He was a disgrace during Englands tour of the West Indies in 1990.
Ganguly- Overrates, repeated reprimanded for the same offence.
WG Grace for the attributed sories of pressuring umpires, being paid as an amateur and picking his stumps up when bowled.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Peter Lever i think admitted he did tamper with the ball and as for Giddons i was unaware it was a recreational drug, may be we can replace him with Chris Pringle.
*cough*

And remind me what the umpires said when they saw the NZers were using a bottle top?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Voltman said:
*cough*

And remind me what the umpires said when they saw the NZers were using a bottle top?
Chris Pringle admitted that he tampered, the Pakistani pacemen did not.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And why wouldn't you replace him with Waqar Younis? After all, he was actually done for ball tampering:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/88745.html?wrappertype=print

Pakistan's preparation for their crucial triangular match against Sri Lanka at Premadasa International Stadium in Colombo today, was disrupted this morning by the news that Waqar Younis and Azhar Mahmood have been reprimanded by John Reid, who is the ICC match referee in this Singer Triangular Series, for altering the condition of the ball in yesterdays game versus South Africa.

A press release from the Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lanka (BCCSL) announced that both Waqar Younis and Azhar Mahmood had breached the ICC Code of Conduct (Rule 1 and 2) and the Laws of Cricket (Rule 42.4) by "altering the condition of the ball."

Waqar Younis has been fined 50% of his match fee and given a one-match suspension, Azhar Mahmood was fined 30% of his match fee and Moin Khan was severely reprimanded for "allowing the spirit of the game to be impaired."

John Reid considered the incident "very serious," especially in light of the fact that he had personally warned Waqar Younis and the Pakistan team management, during the third test match of the recently concluded test series against Sri Lanka. The fact that Waqar had already been warned explains why he has been punished most severely.

In fact Waqar has the dubious distinction of becoming the first person to have ever been suspended by the ICC for "altering the condition of the ball" or "ball tampering" as it is commonly known.

John Reid's attention was brought to the matter not by the umpires, who were Asoka De Silva and Peter Manuel, but by pictures from Sony Entertainment Television. The cameras focused in on both players in the period just after the ball had been changed in the 35th over. Waqar could clearly be seen scratching the surface of the ball.

In the Kandy test match, the umpires, Steve Bucknor and Peter Manuel, had shown John Reid the ball after similar pictures from the television. On this occasion the Waqar was seen not just scratching the surface of the ball, but actually lifting the quarter seam. Both he and Wasim Akram subsequently managed to reverse swing the ball a great deal, although to no avail as Marvan Attapattu and Sanath Jayasuriya compiled a record breaking opening partnership.

Other famous ball tampering incidents include the admission of Chris Pringle on New Zealand's 1990 tour of Pakistan that he had tampered with the ball during the Faislabad test match, a game in which he picked up 11 wickets.

Michael Atherton nearly resigned after the infamous "dirt in the pocket" affair in the Lord's test against South Africa in 1995. He was reprimanded by match referee, Peter Burge, for rubbing dirt on to the ball. Although he maintained at the time that he was just innocently drying his hands and he commonly keep dirt in his pocket, the television pictures clearly showed him sprinkling dirt onto the ball.

However it was Pakistan's tour of England in 1992 that really fuelled the ball tampering controversy, a controversy that has rumbled beneath the surface ever since, but has never been adequately addressed by the ICC. In that series the English media accused Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram of tampering with the ball, an accusation that was given credence by the suspicious replacement of the ball during the one of the ODI's at the end of the tour.

Proposed solutions to the ball tampering issue range from its decriminalisation, a position adopted by Sir Richard Hadlee amongst others, to stringent penalties and bans. The pervading reality of course has been widespread inertia amongst the cricketing powers that be. That was inertia was partially, and thankfully, ended today.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Xuhaib said:
Chris Pringle admitted that he tampered, the Pakistani pacemen did not.
Yes he admitted to doing it, but the Kiwis only did it because it was the only way they could compete with Pakistan, who were doing it as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I can't remember who captained NZ against England in 1991/92, but I recall an incident where they used the wrong type of ball or something at the start of England's innings in, IIRC, the 2nd test. The umpires latched onto this after a while and the ball was changed to the correct type. Maybe someone else can be less vague about it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Fine. You can take Waqar in your line-up i will take Chris Pringle its my line up:)
From what I understand, the Chris Pringle was a selfconfesed, yet ill advised, experiment he conducted to show what could be done and how it was done.

He had tried to figure out how certain bowlers did things, tried a few things in the nets and then applied it in a game to show how it could easily be achieved in a match situation.

The fact that he admitted to it was part of trying to illustrate a problem rather than become part of it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Goughy said:
From what I understand, the Chris Pringle was a selfconfesed, yet ill advised, experiment he conducted to show what could be done and how it was done.

He had tried to figure out how certain bowlers did things, tried a few things in the nets and then applied it in a game to show how it could easily be achieved in a match situation.

The fact that he admitted to it was part of trying to illustrate a problem rather than become part of it.
The point is what he did was illegal.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Didn't a test match between South Africa and India a few years ago lose it's test status because Tendulkar picked the seam? :p

On a serious note, this thread is a bit... dumb, in my opinion.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
No doubt. I never said it was a good idea just that his motives were different
Here's the excerpt from a book by Ian Smith:

By the time we got to Faisalabad for the third test, we were really on a hiding to nothing.

The Pakistanis were simply too good for us, especially as our team lacked John Wright, Bracewell, Jeff Crowe, Richard Hadlee, Andrew Jones and martin Snedden, who'd all either retired just before or made themselves unavailable.
The Pakistani pace bowlers, especially Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were getting amazing reverse swing. Our quickies, Danny Morrison, Willie Watson and Chris Pringle, were getting virtually no movement after the first few overs.
During the test at Lahore, we got lucky by receiving a big clue as to how Pakistan's bowlers might have been getting some help. Towards the end of the test, Pakistan took the new ball. The umpires gave the Pakistanis the new ball and, as is usually the case, rolled the old one off the park. The local officials were a little slow to pick up on the fact that the old ball was sitting on the boundary edge and for once we beat them to the punch, grabbed the ball and smuggled it into our dressing room for inspection.
There was little doubt it was uniquely damaged on only one side. It had been scratched by something - long scratches too. We took a couple of quick photos before the local officials tried to thwart our plan by retrieving the ball. But we'd had time to formulate some methods of our own.
So prior to the next test, in Faisalabad, Martin Crowe and a few of the bowlers began experimenting in the nets, scratching one side witha bottle top. Chris Pringle, in particular, started getting a vast amount of swing. Even us mere part-timers were able to swing it. Chris decided to have some fun in the next test, and he certainly did.
He put a piece of bottle top in his pocket and used it to scratch the ball, at drinks and at the fall of each wicket. The ball began to swing for him and he found he was also getting much more movement off the wicket. None of our bowlers could get reverse swing - they weren't quite quick enough for that. But Pringle got so much assistance from the roughed-up ball that it didn't matter. He took 7/52 in the first innings and 4/100 in the second. I'll go as far as to say Pringle bowled as well in that first innings as he had ever bowled - it was Hadlee-like.