View Poll Results: Does Jacob Oram warrant a place in the New Zealand team as a batsman only?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 74.07%
  • No

7 25.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacob Oram's injuries continue

Jacob Oram's injuries continue

I said "Yes", because I think that if he concentrates solely on his batting, then he'll become a middle order lynchpin of the side, even if he isn't *quite* now.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Big unit, isn't he? Don't imagine that helps his back. Fred had no end of back issues til he managed to keep a tighter reign on the curries.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    If Michael Papps gets a place, it's no contest. Oram has made some of the best innings I've seen from a Kiwi, and I never felt comfortable with him at the crease when NZ were here in the summer of 2004.

Who was it claimed he was better than Flintoff?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

zinzan12

With the bat (in Tests) I think you could say Oram is even with Flintoff, but he is clearly the poorer bowler.

It's a shame with Oram because as BoyBrumby said he's a big unit and could probably pretty easily increase his speed to mid 140's like Flintoff, but obviously the constant injuries hold him back.

Oram has only ever been a converted bowler. He was already some way into his domestic career before someone suggested he take his bowling remotely seriously. He clearly enjoyed the seaming tracks at home against India a few years ago, but he’s a containing bowler - and he even struggles in that role at times.

Tim
    I think Oram can do it because if he gives up bowling he'll only concentrate on his batting. Let's not forget that just a few months ago in South Africa he scored a magnificent century. He's a bit annoying to watch at times because he is gifted and he sometimes gets out softly, but the potential is there for him to be a good #5 or #6 in my opinion.

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    Man, god really doesn't like our bowlers!

I think that he could. He's a fair batsman now and if he concentrated on it he could be a good middle order player. Possibly 5 - 6?

Or, he could switch to the 'batsman who bowls a bit' role. Either way, we employed Mcmillan once so Oram's definately got his foot in the door .
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Oram is one of the better batsmen of this NZ side, so I think he definitely warrants a place on batting alone. Aren't he and Fleming the only NZ batsmen to have a Test average over 40?

I rate Oram very highly. I remember the century he made here in Australia in late 2004, definitely looked the best of the New Zealand batsmen on that tour. I'd put him in the side at 6 purely as a batsman, but have him as an option to bowl a few overs here and there if absolutely needed (kind of like Greg Blewett *sic*).

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Who was it claimed he was better than Flintoff?
    I must admit there was a time when I thought they were evenly matched. But since then Flintoff has improved out of sight and become consistently brilliant with both bat and ball while Oram, well, hasn't. Injuries haven't helped, but he wouldn't have become as good as Flintoff is now anyway.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Jacob Oram's stats...

Code:
    class	 mat	 inns	 no	 runs	 hs	 ave	 bf	 sr	 100	 50	 4s	 6s	 ct	 st
    Tests	  20	  35	  7	 1203	 133	 42.96	 2350	 51.19	 3	 4	 139	 16	 12	 0

This suggests he's been one of our better batsmen in the past few years.

I wonder if there's a spot for Styris as a batsman only in the team? He certainley has a good record at number 3...
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

If anything has got Jacob Oram a regular place in the team, it has to be the dual role factor. He's not that great otherwise, as bowler or even as batsman. His Test batting statistics look good, but he's not been very consistent, just like Sinclair. His bowling has often been an issue if you want a striker, but as a support act, he's just fine. In ODI's, both his batting and bowling stats are less than impressive. If he plays as a batsman only, he'll struggle to make a starting lineup in ODI's. Worse, it will leave NZ without an all-rounder.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

I think Oram can definitely warrant a place as solely a test batsman but i am not sure whether he could warrant a place as solely an odi batter unless he bats further up the order at about 4/5 where he bats for C.D as he is yet to show his worth as an odi batter batting at 7 with an average of about 18.
    Going on what he said in the Manawatu Standard last Friday it nearly sounds like that if he gets another back injury he will probably give up the bowling role altogether as i reckon that it would be a shame as although his form over the last two years has been below what it was in the 2003/04 season he still has the potential and skill to be a good odi bowler and a containing bowler in the test match form. It is unlikely that he will never get any further than a containing bowler in the test match form (if he continues as an allrounder) as he is unlikely to increase his pace with the remodelling of his action and the concern in the back of his mind regarding whether or not he is going to break down again.
    Last edited by sportychic33; 12-07-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information