• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara Tendulkar shine, but Afridi outblings 20/20

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Seriously. I saw that game on some random satelite chanel and it made my day. If only he had a brain.

Inzamam-ul-Haq and Shahid Afridi both struck powerful cameos as Pakistan beat an International XI side in a charity match at The Oval, despite 50 from Sachin Tendulkar. Rain and gloom reduced the Twenty20 clash to a ten-over-a-side encounter but a 20,000-plus crowd were entertained by the glittering array of stars on show and raised £250,000 for survivors of last October's earthquake in Pakistan.

On a wet and gloomy evening in south London, chasing 124, Afridi did what he does best and clobbered the bowling around the park. In the space of just 12 balls, he smashed 41 runs - 22 of which came from his first four balls. The unlucky victim was Zaheer Khan who, bowling in near darkness, was hit for three sixes and a four in typically violent manner.

Inzamam then finished off Afridi's work with a pugnacious 36 as Pakistan, needing 18 off the last over, sneaked home off the penultimate ball.

Earlier, Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara put on 72 for the first wicket with Tendulkar bringing up his 50 from 26 balls with eight fours and a six. He might have been facing bowlers of international experience for the first time in close to four months but there was little to suggest any sort of discomfort. He thundered three powerful pull shots - two assertive fours against the erratic Shahid Nazir and one disdainful six against the largely unthreatening Waqar Younis - and appeared to have his shoulder worries under control.

The free-flowing delight of Lara and Tendulkar was soon overshadowed by some brutal hitting from Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Not only did he crunch 35 from 13 balls, unleashing his characteristic hoicks, but also added to Pakistan's woes in the bowling department. With Rana Naved-ul-Hasan ruled out of the series and Mohammad Asif doubtful for the first Test, starting in Lord's on July 13, the last thing Pakistan would have wanted is a further denting of their bowlers' confidence.

Mohammad Sami was nowhere clsoe to his best; Umar Gul, bowling with a high-arm action, got only one over; Shahid Nazir was carted to various corners and Abdul Razzaq , on today's performance at least, wouldn't be sending too many shivers under too many batsmen's spines.

Of course, it was just a charity match; of course ,the bowlers' weren't stretching themselves; and of course, it didn't even matter to the eventual result. When you have a monster-hitter like Afridi in your ranks, why sweat over minor trifles like your pace-bowling attack?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Xuhaib said:
Lara and Sachin batting together and Waqar Younis bowling to them =:cool:
Now if only I could've seen such a matchup in person at the heights of their careers!

ponting_267

Cricket Spectator
HELLO GUYS I WANT TO SAY THAT THE 2007 WORLD CUP WILL BE WON BY AUSTRALIA AND THE MAIN PLAYERS WILL BE SYMONDS,GILCHRIST,BRETT LEE AND M.HUSSEY. THATS ALL......!:mad: :mad:

Attachments

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
ponting_267 said:
HELLO GUYS I WANT TO SAY THAT THE 2007 WORLD CUP WILL BE WON BY AUSTRALIA AND THE MAIN PLAYERS WILL BE SYMONDS,GILCHRIST,BRETT LEE AND M.HUSSEY. THATS ALL......!:mad: :mad:
Hey ponting_267 did you see the 1997 Wimbeldon Final?

Haddin

U19 Debutant
ponting_267 said:
Turn of your caps lock key please.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ponting_267 said:
Are you a betting man?

If yes, what odds are you offering?

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
I went to the match and although it started off badly because of the rain, the cricket atmosphere was electric. I was surprised to see Waqar Younis bowl but the shots Lara played to hit him for 3 fours of the first three balls of his second over were just superb. Mahendra Dhoni was superb to watch even if he was hitting the pakistani bowlers all over. Tendulkar also was superb in the way he eased the ball to the boundary. I was surprised not to see Afridi open the innings when Pakistan need 130+ to win but did not mind seeing Farhat and Malik. When Farhat got out i was happy as he was struggling to hit the ball and then when i saw Afridi come out i was so happy and hoping he plays some big shots. He come out and hit a six first ball and then four,six,six and i knew we were back in with a chance. The ball before he got out he hit a six about 10 seats away to my left and was hoping to get one towards me but that was not the case. In the last over a tense finish but seeing inzi hit the winning runs capped off a wonderful day which started badly because of the rain! I hope that now Pakistan play some good cricket against England!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol 10 an over game with Lara and Tendulkar batting together? Sounds like me playing with the World XI in Cricket 2004.

The only disappointing part of that game is Chris Harris didn't get to bat. One of the coolest players around.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
no1_gangsta_786 said:
I went to the match and although it started off badly because of the rain, the cricket atmosphere was electric. I was surprised to see Waqar Younis bowl but the shots Lara played to hit him for 3 fours of the first three balls of his second over were just superb. Mahendra Dhoni was superb to watch even if he was hitting the pakistani bowlers all over. Tendulkar also was superb in the way he eased the ball to the boundary. I was surprised not to see Afridi open the innings when Pakistan need 130+ to win but did not mind seeing Farhat and Malik. When Farhat got out i was happy as he was struggling to hit the ball and then when i saw Afridi come out i was so happy and hoping he plays some big shots. He come out and hit a six first ball and then four,six,six and i knew we were back in with a chance. The ball before he got out he hit a six about 10 seats away to my left and was hoping to get one towards me but that was not the case. In the last over a tense finish but seeing inzi hit the winning runs capped off a wonderful day which started badly because of the rain! I hope that now Pakistan play some good cricket against England!!
Sounds like heaps of fun. Awesome to hear you had a great time :)

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
About time i got to see the scorecard, thanx for that Neil. Anyway what a match and its so good to see all the class players in a great charitable match

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Jono said:
Lol 10 an over game with Lara and Tendulkar batting together? Sounds like me playing with the World XI in Cricket 2004.

The only disappointing part of that game is Chris Harris didn't get to bat. One of the coolest players around.
Indeed i wanted Chris Cairns to play there too.. he is a cool man...
Jono congrats on 8000 posts