Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian domestic season 2006-07

Getting some foreign fast bowlers would really help our up-and-coming batsmen. Wouldn't it be tough for a foreign player to mix in though? I'm not sure, but do the state teams speak in local languages (marathi for example, hindi etc) or do they all know some english?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Getting some foreign fast bowlers would really help our up-and-coming batsmen. Wouldn't it be tough for a foreign player to mix in though? I'm not sure, but do the state teams speak in local languages (marathi for example, hindi etc) or do they all know some english?
    I presume most of the state players will have had a decent education, or picked enough up off from their teammates to speak some basic English. Can't imagine Goughy speaking fluent Marathi, Hindi or Gujarati as you so. The culture would also be a big problem as well, plus the heat might take it out of him a bit over an entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    Gough Hints at Maharashtra Move

Who saw that one coming? I know there has been a fair bit of talk about overseas players in India, but you would have thought a young batsman looking to develop against spin would be more likely, not an old-stager like Gough. He'd be a decent signing for anyone though, provided his fitness is up to it.
    Shirke and gang are aiming for big things, so they'd choose Gough over some rookie batsman. They're trying to help their team and the domestic scene more than Gough, who may just play the series as a national comeback platform. The Maha-CA even approached MacGill and Hayden some time ago.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Now this will be interesting, Munaf anf Gough opening the bowling for Maharashtra– an average FC side which make up the numbers has two (former and current) internationals as opening bowlers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    I presume most of the state players will have had a decent education, or picked enough up off from their teammates to speak some basic English. Can't imagine Goughy speaking fluent Marathi, Hindi or Gujarati as you so. The culture would also be a big problem as well, plus the heat might take it out of him a bit over an entire season.
    I'm not too sure about the Maharashtra team, how fluent their English is (although Kale, Kanitkar and Jadhav don't have a problem), but Brett Lee would fit in just fine, since he knows a bit of Hindi, as we've heard and read in the news!

Zaheer Khan is likely to turn up for Mumbai this season, but MCA secretary Ajit Wadekar said he was unaware. Watch this space.

JUST IN: D(p)oordarshan will be covering the UP-Sialkot match starting September 27.
    Last edited by Arjun; 19-09-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun
    JUST IN: D(p)oordarshan will be covering the UP-Sialkot match starting September 27.
    Ah, I was going to ask how that went, since CricketArchive said it was supposed to start today. What's Dharamsala like this time of year? Hot and humid despite its altitude?

One supposes Asif and Rana won't be available for Sialkot (it'd be great fun if they were there - combined they took 38 wickets @ 13.63 in the Gold League last season - but I suppose that'd swing the odds even more to Sialkot), so the teams would look summat like this?

Sialkot:

*Imran Nazir (24, rhb/lb)
    Faisal Naved (26, rhb/rm)
    couple of middle order batsmen (Inam-ul-Haq, Atiq-ur-Rehman, Mohammad Ayub, Qaiser Abbas)
    Shahid Yousuf (20, rhb/rm)
    Mansoor Amjad (19, rhb/lbg)
    Shehzad Malik (29, rhb/rm)
    Tahir Mugha (29, rhb/rfm)
    +Khalid Mahmood (29, rhb/wk)
    Zahid Saeed (25, rhb/lfm)
    Sarfraz Ahmed (27, lhb/lfm)

Uttar Pradesh (w/o Kaif, Raina but with other Challenger Trophy names):

Pravin Kumar (19, rhb/rfm)
    Shivakant Shukla (20, lhb/ob)
    Rizwan Shamshad (33, rhb/rm)
    +Amir Khan (20, rhb/wk)
    JP Yadav (29, lhb/sla)
    Gyanendra Pandey (34, lhb/sla)
    batsman (Mohammad Saif, Rohit Prakash, Ali Murtaza)
    Ravikant Shukla (19, lhb/ob)
    Piyush Chawla (17, lhb/lb)
    Ashish Zaidi (35, rhb/rfm)
    bowler (Praveen Gupta, Shalabh Srivastava, Ali Murtaza again )
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Wierd thing is, neither side looks particularly strong. Looks like Mansoor vs Piyush in a battle of the emerging leggies.

Uhh, Piyush Chawla >>>>>>>> Mansoor Amjad at the moment.

Now I notice that the Challenger Trophy starts a day after the UP-Sialkot match ends. Maybe all the UP fellows can miss the Challenger Trophy and concentrate on the Sialkot match.

Now I notice that the Challenger Trophy starts a day after the UP-Sialkot match ends. Maybe all the UP fellows can miss the Challenger Trophy and concentrate on the Sialkot match.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Why?
    The Challenger Trophy is a mere (max) three-match workout for the national team. Some even brand it a circus. The match between the champions from both countries is something big, so it should be considered. Not too many of them may make the Challenger Trophy, though there are five national contenders there, and there are some others who may miss out, so if all UP blokes miss this match, there may be an option for other contenders.

The Challenger Trophy is a mere (max) three-match workout for the national team. Some even brand it a circus. The match between the champions from both countries is something big, so it should be considered. Not too many of them may make the Challenger Trophy, though there are five national contenders there, and there are some others who may miss out, so if all UP blokes miss this match, there may be an option for other contenders.
    Okay I have never liked the idea behind the Challenger Trophy. However, for the players, it is a one shot opportunity to get into the spotlight and come into the reckoning. So I don't see them going for the option you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Okay I have never liked the idea behind the Challenger Trophy. However, for the players, it is a one shot opportunity to get into the spotlight and come into the reckoning. So I don't see them going for the option you suggested.
    If RP Singh, Piyush Chawla and Pravin Kumar miss the Challenger series, we may see a few of Balaji, Nehra, JP Yadav, TP Singh, Bangar and a few prospects outside the UP team in the series.

If RP Singh, Piyush Chawla and Pravin Kumar miss the Challenger series, we may see a few of Balaji, Nehra, JP Yadav, TP Singh, Bangar and a few prospects outside the UP team in the series.
    Point is - UP players would want to play in the challenger trophy much more than the match versus the visiting Pakistan FC side.

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information