• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst International Debut's

C_C

International Captain
I would look beyond just the first innings and see maybe the first series as a guage to debuts.
Best debuts that i can recall at the top of my head : Gavaskar, Lawrence Rowe, Kambli, Alf Valentine and Sonny Ramadhin.
Worst debut that i can recall : Rutherford, Kallis,Warne,

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
Surprised no one has mentioned Ken Rutherford as well.

Must have had one of the worst starts to international Test cricket ever with scores of:

Amazin !!

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Best debuts (tests)
Lawrence Rowe
Hirwani
Massie
Strauss
Ganguly

worst(tests)
Attapattu (not many will ever match him )
Hamilton

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Some body forgetting Vinod Kambli here !!!!
Why? IIRC he scored less than 20 in both innings on debut.

It was only after his debut that he put England to the sword.

FRAZ

International Captain
Goughy said:
Why? IIRC he scored less than 20 in both innings on debut.

It was only after his debut that he put England to the sword.
First of all I am extremely sorry to offend you . And secondly I am not taking any sides or favours and also I am not trying to compare the Sub - continant player . I am sorry to hurt your feelings .
And folks I am sorry because I thought I was going along with the context of the thread . I am sorry . Please forgive me now .
the following stats can suggest that yes he had a very good start in the recent era .And being able to play only 17 tests is quite a sorry end to his career.
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerBatGraph.asp?PlayerID=0908

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
First of all I am extremely sorry to offend you . And secondly I am not taking any sides or favours and also I am not trying to compare the Sub - continant player . I am sorry to hurt your feelings .
And folks I am sorry because I thought I was going along with the context of the thread . I am sorry . Please forgive me now .
the following stats can suggest that yes he had a very good start in the recent era .And being able to play only 17 tests is quite a sorry end to his career.
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerBatGraph.asp?PlayerID=0908
What are you talking about? :wacko:

I am fully aware of Kamblis career but the thread is for debuts and he did not have a particularly special debut.

Calm down. Christ almighty, You said someone should include Kambli and I was pointing out he should not be there because his debut was not special.

Why are you ranting for no reason?

stumpski

International Captain
Bruce Taylor (NZ), a 100 and a five-for on debut - a unique achievement I believe.

And a few years ago they had a leggie called Greg Loveridge who made 4 (retired hurt), didn't bowl, and was never picked again.

Andy Lloyd (Edgbaston, 1984) must have had one of the 'worst' debuts - in that he didn't get many runs, and was put out of the game and the rest of the season (and was never picked again).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Kerrigan holding his hand up for one of the worst ever? On the face of it figures of 0/53 don't appear uber dire, but when one factors in that they were accrued in only 8 overs (out of a total of nigh on 130 sent down in total) at a rate of more than a run a ball...

Obviously he potentially has time to turn it around in the second knock (should it ever happen), but not bowling at all on day two would seem to suggest the skipper might already have stuck a fork in him.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't remember a debutant ever silencing the crowd in embarrassment like that from the cricket I've watched

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've had some pretty good debuts in recent times - Agar, Abbott, Henriques, Hasan and of course Dhawan.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kerrigan's no Bryce McGain.

Xavier Doherty didn't exactly have a debut to remember. Yeah he took 2 wickets but they were Bell slogging and Anderson switch hitting. He got outbowled by Marcuss North in the 2nd dig ffs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kerrigan holding his hand up for one of the worst ever? On the face of it figures of 0/53 don't appear uber dire, but when one factors in that they were accrued in only 8 overs (out of a total of nigh on 130 sent down in total) at a rate of more than a run a ball...

Obviously he potentially has time to turn it around in the second knock (should it ever happen), but not bowling at all on day two would seem to suggest the skipper might already have stuck a fork in him.
Kerrigan is the worst I have ever seen and he could have gone for plenty more when one considers the absolute ****e he bowled but he was saved by the amount of fielders on the boundary

Too young to remember :ph34r: but it has been said that John Watkins (John Watkins | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo) bowled as badly on debut as anyone can remember

Funny thing is that his figures weren't too bad and he contributed with the bat

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Robbie Kerr, Shaun Young, Matty Hayden, crappy debuts.

Simon Cook was pretty good on debut!

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bruce Taylor (NZ), a 100 and a five-for on debut - a unique achievement I believe.

And a few years ago they had a leggie called Greg Loveridge who made 4 (retired hurt), didn't bowl, and was never picked again.

Andy Lloyd (Edgbaston, 1984) must have had one of the 'worst' debuts - in that he didn't get many runs, and was put out of the game and the rest of the season (and was never picked again).
I know I'm replying to you from the future, but that's the one for me. Spending a week in hospital, and probably you and your family worrying about your future health and fitness, does rather make having a 'mare in perspective. Still, anyone know if this stat is still viable.

Note Andy Lloyd is the only Test player who has opened an innings never to have been dismissed