• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geraint Jones : has he got enough chances

dips_december

Cricket Spectator
English wicketkeeper G.Jones has been no less than a disgrace over the past few months .His keeping has been very good but he has not performed with the bat ,the main reason why he was brought in to the team .Now that Chris Read is having a very good time ,is his time over ?

My first post .

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats on the first post.

Ive always generally supported Jones based on the principle that I think quality batting is the most important thing for a keeper (as well as the ability to keep adequately) and I trusted Fletchers vision and evaluation of Jones.

I agreed with selecting Stewart over Russell and believed the England selectors missed a trick by not having the foresight to look to convert Crawley into a serviceable keeper.

However, if you are there for your batting you must produce otherwise you must take a seat. After the Ashes I thought that over the period of his next 10 Tests that Jones must average at least 35 in his next 10 tests to justify his selection and show he could make genuine contributions as a batsman.

Since the Ashes he has played 9 games and averages 20 with no 100s! Unless he plans on beating Lara world record in his next test he is not going to get close to the average I think he needs.

Live by the batting, die by the batting.

Therefore, RIP G. Jones

Last edited:

dips_december

Cricket Spectator
Yeah you are right ,but Chris Read even was not a great success when he first came in with a highest score of 38 not out in tests and that was when Jones came in ,but now Read is proving to be the better batsman .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The thing is, we don't know if Read is proving to be the better batsman - he's not been tested in the International arena for a while.

dips_december

Cricket Spectator
He scored 91 not out i think against Pakistan and that was a full strength Pakistan bowling team (althoough Akhtar is not there)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ignore Read for a second.

It comes down to the fact that Jones has a job description that he is failing to fulfill. He does not deserve a place in the team based on current and recent performances. It flys in the face of competetive sport to continue to include a player that is underperforming so badly.

Now after dropping Jones, Read must be compared to the other keepers available for selection.

I dont think Jones being dropped is about Read or another keeper forcing themselves into the team but about Jones losing his postion based on his performance not those of others.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF Read is seemingly still thought of as the next cab off the rank or his presence in the "A" team is a nonsense.

Prior hardly did his chances much good in the winter (when chosen despite averaging about 10 runs less per innings than Read in 2005) & strikes me as nothing so much as a Geraint-lite (scores quickly, slightly worse in both disciplines), so it seems to be a straight choice for mine.

Other hats I guess you could toss into the ring are Foster, Davies @ Worcester & (more from left field, but possibly the best batting option) Pothas, if he's served his qualification period yet.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I would pick Read as well, I was just making the point that a change would be due to Jones failing rather than anyone else forcing their way in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The strange thing is, Geraint's keeping has improved no end, but it's almost as if he is only allowed so many ability points, as his batting has declined no end at the same time. Tis a shame, but they cannot jsutify keeping Geraint in the side at the moment simply because of the official aprty line, "he's in there for his batting." His Keeping has been very good this year but his lack of runs has been fudnamental in recent failures.

:cry:

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Goughy said:
Ignore Read for a second.

It comes down to the fact that Jones has a job description that he is failing to fulfill. He does not deserve a place in the team based on current and recent performances. It flys in the face of competetive sport to continue to include a player that is underperforming so badly.

Now after dropping Jones, Read must be compared to the other keepers available for selection.

I dont think Jones being dropped is about Read or another keeper forcing themselves into the team but about Jones losing his postion based on his performance not those of others.
Great post, just focusing on Jones' performances show he is not doing enough to warrant his place in the side, and that bloody sweep shot, surely he'd have learnt by now. Still he is one of Duncan's favourites so what do you expect?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
TBF Read is seemingly still thought of as the next cab off the rank
Hence Matt Prior touring Pakistan and India in the full Test and ODI squads ahead of him?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Hence Matt Prior touring Pakistan and India in the full Test and ODI squads ahead of him?
key word is

Prior was next cab of rank, the fact that he isn't in the development squad and hasn't been selected for England 'A' this summer suggests he no longer is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Way to ignore my next paragraph! :p

Me said:
Prior hardly did his chances much good in the winter (when chosen despite averaging about 10 runs less per innings than Read in 2005) & strikes me as nothing so much as a Geraint-lite (scores quickly, slightly worse in both disciplines), so it seems to be a straight choice for mine.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
A tribute to the greatness of Marc Robbins - well done big guy.
Nah. Marc reads the huge long posts and just dismisses them in 6 or less words.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Readys looked alright this season, he's a had a few classy kncoks and personally i feel that he is a better keeper than jones, but from a nots fan, its a little biased, so if you were too look past Chris Read, your third option has to be James Foster of Essex. Everytime time I've seen him play, he's looked sharp in ythe field and has been more than capable with the bat. I remeber them playing against gloucester in the C and G Trophy, where he kicked the ball back up the bowlers end, hit the wickets and got some bloke run out. Whoever it is chosen to replace him, its time to let you go, Jonesy.

Steulen

International Regular
Read 150* against Pakistan today won't have hurt his chances.

I actually think that Jones is protected by the bowling crisis at the moment. I don't think the selectors will want to unsettle the batting line-up even more by changing the keeper, when there's hardly a number 8-10 to be found.