View Poll Results: Is 20/20 better than ODIs ? Poll

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20/20 better than ODIs , but like ODIs to continue

11 19.30%
  • 20/20 better than ODIs and would prefer ODIs not played in the distant future.

6 10.53%
  • ODIs better than 20/20, but like 20/20 to continue

24 42.11%
  • ODIs better than 20/20 and would prefer 20/20 not played at all .

16 28.07%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 20/20 better than ODIs ? A Poll

Is 20/20 better than ODIs ? A Poll

There have been several members on this forum who have expressed opinions that 20/20 is in their opinion better than ODI cricket . In fact some have even suggested 20/20 will replace ODI cricket !!

I personally love ODIs far far better than 20/20 and Tests far far far ....far better than ODIs .
    And as far as I can see only in England (actually the United Kingdom ie England , Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland ) 20/20 seems to have gained some firm hold support , whereas everywhere else it has hardly reached a noticeable foot hold .

In the long term I am also concerned whether Cricket which already has to play second fiddle to other sports in some of these countries (ie to Aussie Rules, Rugby league in Australia, Football and few other sports in the UK , Rugby Union in NZ and probably Football, Golf and Rugby Union in SA -the sports mentioned probably being more popular than Cricket in the respective countries) , will endanger itself by dividing and fragmenting its following for the shorter version of the game between these two and lose its market share to these other sports by promoting 2 shorter versions of the game.

Anyway here is a poll canvassing everyones opinions on which of the 2 shorter versions of the game they prefer .
    Last edited by JASON; 07-07-2006 at 11:08 PM.

ODIs, easily.

I dislike both 50/50 and 20/20 equally, though I think 20/20 is more fun to play, and has a better atmosphere.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I went this one- ODIs better than 20/20, but like 20/20 to continue

They should do away with 20/20 internationals, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Not even close. 50 over ODIs by a mile.

edit: I voted for the fourth option, but I don't actually object to 20/20 being played, per se. I simply object to it being given international status and a world cup and so on.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Obviously I voted for 20/20 as ODIs are irrelevant to me and I think they are pointless cricket. I think we are at the dawn of 20/20 cricket and it will continue to grow as people become more accepting. It is a great and challenging form of the game that requires far more than slogging.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    There have been several members on this forum who have expressed opinions that 20/20 is in their opinion better than ODI cricket . In fact some have even suggested 20/20 will replace ODI cricket !!
    Well its also the only form of the game you get more than 1 man and hid dog watching in SA
    Last edited by Goughy; 08-07-2006 at 01:27 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

ODIs better than 20/20, but like 20/20 to continue.

I enjoy any form of cricket to be honest, but I think ODIs are superior to Twenty20. Also, I think Twenty20 should be confined to the domestic scene with perhaps one Twenty20 International each tour as Australia have done recently.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It possibly may only be the relative freshness of the format, but I far prefer 20/20s just now. ODIs are just so formulaic; the overs between 15-40 are a total snoozefest & contribute little in the way of entertainment, save some commentator or other saying "it's now XX overs since the last boundary, but they are keeping wickets in hand" like some mantra.

20/20 means batters & bowlers both have to be "on" from ball one & does away with the unnecessary filler overs that blight one-dayers.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Well its also the only form of the game you get more than 1 man and hid dog watching in SA
    At least the one man and his dog have an ounce of cricketing knowledge to throw around..

ODI's by a mile, not even close and I wouldn't be concerned if suddenly Twenty20 ceased to exist..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    At least the one man and his dog have an ounce of cricketing knowledge to throw around.

ODI's by a mile, not even close and I wouldn't be concerned if suddenly Twenty20 ceased to exist..
    You really think the ODI crowd do? You are more generous than I am.

The way I see ot, if you want real cricket watch tests, if you want fast paced enjoyment, braai, bikinis and beer then 20/20 is your game.

ODIs have are neither particularly 'real' cricket or entertaining and therefore fails in both regards.

Also where would football be financially if only the most knowledgable went to the games and watched on TV. 20/20 is important in introducing more people and getting more watching on TV and in the grounds and increasing TV revenue.

As long as Test cricket is sacred then Im all for it.

I find ODIs very manufactured with all sorts of rules being introduced and the game being tinkered with because fundamentally the concept is flawed. 20/20 cricket does not hide what it is. ODIs try and masquerade (sp?) as something they are not.
    Last edited by Goughy; 08-07-2006 at 03:27 AM.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    I find ODIs very manufactured with all sorts of rules being introduced and the game being tinkered with because fundamentally the concept is flawed.
    And 20/20 then? Where players sit in a dugout and run out onto the pitch to save time while their themesong plays, and bowlers send down opening spells of two overs to them? I don't see how ODI cricket could possibly be any more "manufactured" than that.

Twenty20 is great in moderation. I see ODI's as a proper contest so voted for the third option.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    And 20/20 then? Where players sit in a dugout and run out onto the pitch to save time while their themesong plays, and bowlers send down opening spells of two overs to them? I don't see how ODI cricket could possibly be any more "manufactured" than that.
    It not manufactured at all. It is full pelt from the start and is genius in its simplicity.

Its about going for it from the start and showing what you have got.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Can anyone tell me a good thing about ODIs, instead of saying bad/good things about Twenty20? Because the latter is what most of these threads turn into, while I'm yet to hear a convincing argument for ODIs being anything much more than run-of-the-mill sport that wears down the players.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Can anyone tell me a good thing about ODIs, instead of saying bad/good things about Twenty20?
    Indian TV advert revenue?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information