• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of cricket?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For me, ODIs are the boring Cricket. When I was younger, and not a big fan, i thought it was ODi cricket that was exciting, but I was wrong. The best ODI can be brilliant but on the whole they are dull. If somewhere down the line all we have left is Test Cricket and Twenty20, I would say it's a good thing. But I am sure this will not be the popular opinion.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GeraintIsMyHero said:
For me, ODIs are the boring Cricket. When I was younger, and not a big fan, i thought it was ODi cricket that was exciting, but I was wrong. The best ODI can be brilliant but on the whole they are dull. If somewhere down the line all we have left is Test Cricket and Twenty20, I would say it's a good thing. But I am sure this will not be the popular opinion.

It will be a sad day if people like Sunny G, Rahul Dravid, Kallis, etc couldn't even make cricket teams just because they don't slog.

adharcric

International Coach
I've grown to appreciate test cricket as the superior form but I still enjoy ODIs as well. Twenty20 cricket to me involves far less strategy and technique. Dravid for one has shown that you can be a tremendous one-day player without slogging. Twenty20 cricket is nothing besides a side-thing for me ... the idea of a bowler only having 4 overs sounds amateurish and ridiculous to me.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well I hope the future of ODIs is short. Hopefully 20/20 will kill the boring and pointless form of the game.

Test cricket will always be king but 20/20 has a role to play.

Those that think is is about slogging are wrong. There is so much more improvisation, adaptation, tactics and intensity that it has made ODIs redundant in my book.

The classical players who play orthadox shots succeed and palyers adapt well to the increased tempo.

Id pay to watch a test
Id think about going to a 20/20 game but def watch on tv
Id give free tickets to an ODI away and barely watch 20 overs on TV

C_C

International Captain
Future of cricket = ODIs.
20/20 is too much of a baseball-ish slugfest with very little cerebral skills involved.
Test cricket is dying a slow death because of batting dominating it ( test cricket is at its best when bowling has the upper hand, not vice versa).
But ultimately, whatever is popular in the subcontinent will be the dominant form of cricket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Future of cricket = ODIs.
20/20 is too much of a baseball-ish slugfest with very little cerebral skills involved.
Test cricket is dying a slow death because of batting dominating it ( test cricket is at its best when bowling has the upper hand, not vice versa).
But ultimately, whatever is popular in the subcontinent will be the dominant form of cricket.
Trying....so....hard....to....show.....restraint

Ah, ok the red mist has passed.

Swervy

International Captain
20/20 is quickly taking over the normal one dayer in my mind.

I think people who really havent watched much of the 20/20 stuff (CC?) probably would think that its just a big slog with no real skill...it is quite apparent to those who play it and watch it that 20 overs is in fact a long enough form of the game to show considerable skill, and in fact, the same concepts apply in 20/20 as they do in 50 over games...you do need to build an innings, you cant just go out swinging.

Go look at the innings Yardy of Sussex played the other night, no real big hitting, full of great shots, an innings of genuine skill and class

Normal 50 over stuff just drags for me, and I am rapidly losing interest in that form of the game (well until the World Cup that is???hehehehe)

Langeveldt

Soutie
I've seen a fair bit of Twenty20, although none this season because I just refuse to watch it.. And all that I've seen has been mediocre players performing at the same level as great ones (Darren Maddy lol), which suggests to me that this "skill" element that has been banded around doesn't really exist.. Amongst the weakest teams in England and South Africa have captured their respective 20 over trophies which kind of backs my point up..

I see ODI cricket dying in twenty years which is a shame, obviously there are no people left who want to sit for a whole day and watch cricket, unless the ashes are at stake..

Test Cricket and 4 day cricket will live on, but its reach will decrease, with teams like Bangladesh and New Zealand, and eventually South Africa dropping out of test cricket altogether in order to play more of the Twenty over format.. While this won't be for a few years yet, we've already seen New Zealand cancel test matches in order to play the few year old Twenty over game.. At the end of the day the only thing that talks in cricket is money, and we've seen how firstly baseball, and then Twenty20 have been adept at getting drones to walk through turnstiles..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I've seen a fair bit of Twenty20, although none this season because I just refuse to watch it.. And all that I've seen has been mediocre players performing at the same level as great ones (Darren Maddy lol), which suggests to me that this "skill" element that has been banded around doesn't really exist.
Maybe it tests different skill (it certainly does and top players play well). Also maybe you need to reassess your definition of average. Just because a player may not be the greatest in one form of the game does not mead he cannot be a stud in another.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
which suggests to me that this "skill" element that has been banded around doesn't really exist.
Top run scorer and highest average of any player over 100runs this season= Langer with 380 runs at av. 76 with a srike rate of 157.02

Best economy rate AND best average of any player with 10 or more wickets= Mushtaq Ahmed with 10 wickets at an average of 8.7 and an economy rate of 5.43

Best bowlers in the 2005 20/20 season were

Mushtaq Ahmed, M Muralitharan, BJ Hodge, IK Pathan and ND Doshi

Best batsmen in the 2005 20/20 season were

OA Shah, SG Law, GC Smith, MB Loye, BJ Hodge, IJ Harvey

So it think it is very wrong to suggest the best do not perform at a high level or that their skills get lost in the game.

Again, the best will perform. 20/20 asks different questions and top quality players can adapt and do very, very well.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Erm Brad Hodge one of the best bowlers?!!!
Well he is the one on the list I gave thats stands out but dont let that detract from the high profile of the others on the list.

Maybe he can do a job in 20/20 and maybe he can hold his nerve well. He had to be included as his season figures were 6 games 13 wkts at 10.53 with a decent economy rate of 8.7

Here is career 20/20 bowling stat line.

22 222 265 19 4/17 4/17 13.94 7.16 11.68 2 0 0

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, I was pointing out that him appearing in a list of top bowlers surely devalues the skill levels argument.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Brad Hodge is actually an underrated spinner, could bowl a bit more in other forms really, but last year he was in a purple patch with the ball.
Though he took 16-5-21-3 in the county championship against Warwickshire this year

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hodge is a pretty decent spinner, but he's still only a part-timer. He's no better than say Michael Clarke with the ball, and behind the likes of Symonds, Jayasuria, Lehmann and so on.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Yes, I was pointing out that him appearing in a list of top bowlers surely devalues the skill levels argument.
Marc man, it would also be based on stats. Hodgey took 19 cheep wickets, which pushed his average down to 13-ish.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, I know it is based on stats, but my point is that if he's one of the top averages, it says a lot about the so called skills needed.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's bound to be some anomalies like that, when and where you bowl and what situation you bowl has a big impact on things. Northern group sides tend to play on the most bowler friendly pitches - Durham always prepares ~120-130 par pitches and most of the other grounds in the north are traditionally bowler friendly.