Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best opening pair in one-day......!!

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

The best opening pair in one-day......!!

who do you think is the best opening pair in one-day cricket at the moment? I say its ganguly and sehwag.

They are good. Hayden & Gilchrist are a great pair too.

Rik
    Knight and Tresco are damn good! But I would rather see Sachin and Sehwag rather than Ganguly...
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Originally posted by Rik
    Knight and Tresco are damn good! But I would rather see Sachin and Sehwag rather than Ganguly...
    Ganguly has been a very successful opener in one dayers. In fact, Sachin/Ganguly in terms of statistics, longevity and success rate is an all-time great pair(and it wasn't due to Sachin alone). I think the only pair that can match them are Greenidge/Haynes.

Rik
    Yeah but Sachin is the better batsman. And in one day cricket in England he struggled. I wouldn't mind seeing them trying out Sachin and Sehwag for a bit as Sachin looked more at home opening

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    hayden and Maher, bat brilliantly together for qld at the top of the order, i wish the aussies selectors would let them open together, they are awesome.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Sachin and Ganguly, they form a wonderful opening pair,they are simply awesome!

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Yeah Agreed, Sachin and Sourav Rock
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

State Vice-Captain
    Hayden and Gilchrist.

Dont think Sehwag-Ganguly pair is bettered anywhere at the moment. They rule the field.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Gilly and Hayden are the best

the 2 best OD openers i would say Shewag and Gilly - they would kill any attck!!!
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Sachin and Ganguly.They have destroyed bowling attacks for long.

Sehwag and Ganguly are just about coming on their own but that pair has proven over time that they are the best.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

U19 Vice-Captain

SSSSSSS

This is one of the few cases where I can confindently make a comparison across ages. I think Sachin and Saurav have been the most outstanding opening pair in the history of ODI cricket.

Clearly, it tells us about what the team thinks of Sehwag considering they split such a pair with both players stil playing magnificent cricket! Admittedly that happened because, not long back, bowlers knew that the Indian batting lineup basically consisted of no.s 1,2 and 3! But with the advent of Yuvaraj, Badani, Sehwag, Laxman and a few others, they could well have afforded to move Sachin back up. It's a testimony to the confidence that Sehwag's strokeplay, and ability to score the occasional big knock inspires that Sachin still bats at no. 4.

I think Ganguly and Sehwag are a terrific opening pair. I'd slot them up there as the top pair in the world currently: Hayden/Gillli step aside!

Infact, I can see a terrific gameplan evolving. When Sachin was at the crease, both players would go for runs, and with one getting dismissed, the other would make a big score. Ganguly prefers to start slowly, with only a few boundaries. (that's how his best hundreds started..). But when he has played himself in, he's perhaps even more effective than Sachin.

When he's got a hundred, you can be pretty sure that he's going to go on a rampage for some 30 or so runs.

Sehwag will be the ideal partner for Saurav. The skipper can start slowly with the runrate still racing along as Viru's not Sachin-pressed with the need of scoring a century every match. He'll still bring with him the Tendulkar brand of fireworks though, and every now and then still make the 100.

Wouldn't exchange this pair for any other team's openers!
    Cheers:)

Visit http://pub11.ezboard.com/bopinionsunfetteredindianstyle56650

Rik
    Well if I can't have Sachin opening then I would prefer him at No.3 as Mongia holds that position and it quite inconsistant and also Sachin wants 100s

Originally posted by Rik
    Well if I can't have Sachin opening then I would prefer him at No.3 as Mongia holds that position and it quite inconsistant and also Sachin wants 100s
    Yeah, Mongia has been dissapointing recently. He started out in a very promising way and seems to have lost his way somewhat in the past few months, maybe because of the fierce competition for positions in the team or maybe lack of confidence. He is still young and talented enough to play himself back into form, though. I agree with you that Sachin should come in atleast at No:3 in one dayers, which is where ideally the best batsman in the team should come anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information