• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice on bowling action

JMe

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys, just found this site, some very interesting topics and debates :-)

I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on something, here's the situation:
Basically, my bowling action is awful, we are talking one of the worst that most people have ever seen. I bowl medium pace, used to get a lot of swing but now I seem to bowl incutters (I've been told that's because of my wrist). I bowl very front on and don't really have a jump which makes some people think I look like I'm bowling off the wrong foot. My run up stutters towards the end and my my arm apparantly comes from nowhere at the last moment. It's quite hard to explain but the point is, it's very awkward looking.

When I bowl well I bowl very well, but when something goes slightly wrong with my run up for example, it throws everything out and can be terrible. I am 22 and have been bowling all my life, with this strange action, I don't know how I got it and I don't know why it wasn't coached out of me.

I was wondering if you think it would be possible for me to rebuild my action or whether it's too late and if so, how would I go about it? I guess it's increasing the risk of injury having such an awkward action.

Thanks for your time
Jamie

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
JMe said:

I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on something, here's the situation:
Basically, my bowling action is awful, we are talking one of the worst that most people have ever seen. I bowl medium pace, used to get a lot of swing but now I seem to bowl incutters (I've been told that's because of my wrist). I bowl very front on and don't really have a jump which makes some people think I look like I'm bowling off the wrong foot. My run up stutters towards the end and my my arm apparantly comes from nowhere at the last moment. It's quite hard to explain but the point is, it's very awkward looking.

When I bowl well I bowl very well, but when something goes slightly wrong with my run up for example, it throws everything out and can be terrible. I am 22 and have been bowling all my life, with this strange action, I don't know how I got it and I don't know why it wasn't coached out of me.

I was wondering if you think it would be possible for me to rebuild my action or whether it's too late and if so, how would I go about it? I guess it's increasing the risk of injury having such an awkward action.

Thanks for your time
Jamie
Well, it might help people if you post a video of yourself bowling so people can analyze it. I wouldn't be of much help, but I'm sure others on the forums would be.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
I certainly wouldn't re-model your action. My action has been changed time after time and it's done nothing but made my bowling worse. Personally, I don't think 22 is too late to change your action but I wouldn't suggest that you should do that; I find making small modifications here and there much more useful.

There is nothing wrong with bowling front-on and even if it 'looks' as though you're taking of the wrong foot it doesn't matter as long as you actually are taking off of the correct foot. Without a video or photograph, I can't help that much, but it sounds as though you bowl with a slingy action which may explain why your wrist causes you to bowl leg-cutters. Most 'slingy' bowlers bowl from side-on so the angle of your arm may be counterbalanced by your wrist position which causes your fingers to cut across the ball. As far as I'm aware, that is detrimental for your pace and accuracy but, again, without footage I'm not entirely sure.

Hope this helps a little. ;)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
How about picking up your mobile and dialing 01-800-Call Goughy?
Just to inform it is $4.95 per min and children don't forget to ask your parents permission before calling. :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
JMe said:

Thanks for your time
Jamie
OK I ill have a go at helping but as SS says its difficult to do without video.

Anyway, reading what you have posted 2 things stand out

1) DO NOT remodel your action. Its very difficult to do and you need someone who really knows what they are doing to help. Bowling is all about repetition and muscle memory and you could easily lose a season trying to get the new action correct without any guarantees that there will be an improvement.

2) Sort your run-up out. As I mentioned above, bowling is about consistency and muscle memory and you cannot expect your body to produce consistent results if you are approaching at different, speeds and stride lengths. Hoggard was mocked for this last year but bowlers should be comfortable enough in their run-up to do it blindfolded.

As for the lack of swing that is even harder to treat without video. I would suggest practicing running in with the 'cobra' (wrist ****ed and fingers either side of the seam).

In summary, there is nothing wrong looking 'awkward'. There is more than one way to skin a cat and often an unusual action makes it more difficult for batsmen to pick-up and judge.

Concentrate on working the run-up issues out and things should improve. Things may not be as drastic as you think. Im not saying this is definately going to work but players with very open chested actions and off the wrong foot often have to run in a little quicker than others. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Echoing Goughy to an extent - run up is the key. You see it in kids a lot, half an hour to an hour sorting someone's run up out translating into more control, more accuracy, more pace.

You should be able to, like has been said, just run up and bowl without the slightest thought about your feet, the crease, no-balling, anything but where you're gonna bowl. You don't need a big run if you're only medium pace, six to eight steps could well be plenty to hit a decent velocity and keep yourself stable approaching the bound. Experiment with short approaches (one step, then two, three) and extend it backwards till you're comfortable.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Become a wicket-keeper. It was the best thing I ever did in relation to my bowling.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I swithed from leg-spin, to off spin, then seamer, now im just occaisonal part timer, ive lost a lot of strength in my wrist over the years and when i run, my baxcks not entirely straight so my run ups arent great. Im now some sort of useless batsman and bowler.... actually having said that, My batting has gotten a lot better, but when it comes to picking up the pace, i cant do it. So i stay in first calss mode. I dunno how that helps... sorry.. actaully, can someone help me learn how to become more offensive when batting?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can you be more specific in terms of being "more offensive"?

The biggest problme that I see in kids (and I'm assuming you're still a kid from the language in the post) is shot selection. Boys get the idea that to score quickly they need to score off every ball, so look to hit things all over the place, and get out.

It's crucial to remember that you don't need to a) score every ball or b) hit the ball hard to score quickly. If you face an over, you can face five dot balls and hit one four, you're still scoring quick. At Junior level, you get bad balls served up regularly. Decide on your strongest area(s) - and when you get a ball you know you can hit, hit it smoothly. Keep your head still and just ease your hands and the bat through the ball, so long as you're balanced and you time it well, if you're committed to the shot then 9 times out of 10 it goes for four.

Prime example of this last night was in an U13 game on a horrible low, slow, track. We, as league leaders away to second bottom, were 15/4 after six overs before we finally had two lads (age 12 and 10) get stuck in and play the balls properly, rather than trying to attack, catching the ball too early and giving catches. Application and attitude!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
. I dunno how that helps... sorry.. actaully, can someone help me learn how to become more offensive when batting?
To slightly disagree with Neil, every ball is capable of being scored off. When you net I would suggest not leaving a single ball and look at playing everything. This gives you a far wider range of experience than otherwise.

Now the challenge is decision-making. As I said every ball can be scored from, but whether to attempt it is the skill. Think about what you are trying to achieve everytime you visit the crease. The aggression you seek may not always be necessary.

As for being more 'offensive', of the top of my head I would ask you to check your backlift. Often (myself included) players which have a short backlift often feel rushed and 'jab' down on the ball. To be attacking with a small backlift is difficult. When trying to hit the ball you end up using the whole body which dramatically effects balance and head position.

I would recommend checking your backlift, looking to lengthening it and taking it higher with the wrists ****ed. This allows far greater attacking potential and makes aggressive batting far smooter and natural.

Last edited:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Thanks, that really helps. I am the sort of guy who thinks that you need to get runs off every ball you face when youre in limited over mode, and feel pressured to kick on, where i usaully swipe at the ball and get myself out cheaply. I also think that to get more runs, you need more force. but bearing in mind what youve said neil, its a huge help and could really help my game. And goughy, i have actually realised my backlift is almost non-existent, so youre also spot on.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
To slightly disagree with Neil, every ball is capable of being scored off. When you net I would suggest not leaving a single ball and look at playing everything. This gives you a far wider range of experience than otherwise.
I would totally agree with that sentence. Too often, especially at junior and fairly weak adult level, there are always runs to be had, but the batsman is content to defend. With very little risk, a forward defensive can be turned into a push into the off-side or run behind point with a late opening of the face. Same with the spinners - the standard off-spinner can more often than not be worked into leg or pushed behind square on the back-foot. This allows you to get your innings moving quickly, and gives you a platform to play bigger shots.

To back up what Neil was saying, target your best areas and simple punish anyone who bowls there - there will be plenty of short and wide deliveries in junior cricket. At my club last year, we had one batsman, not particularly talented, who only really had a cut shot and a pull, so just pushed singles and then waited for the bowler to drop short. If you are not a naturally attacking batsman, then it is unlikely the 'big shots' will be an option - work to your strengths.