Thread: Tony Cozier slams Lara

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Tony Cozier slams Lara

Lara in the spotlight

West Indies skipper not greater than game

Tony Cozier

July 4, 2006

Brain Lara reflects after the defeat in Jamaica AFP
    For anyone else in such a position of trust, responsibility and leadership, Brian Lara's third term as West Indies captain would now be at an end. Instead, he has announced that he himself will decide if and when he goes, not an acquiescent board that has twice beseeched him to return.

Whatever his frustrations, Lara's repeated rantings in recent weeks against selections that did not accord to his opinions and pitches that did not take his fancy were out of order and unbecoming of a revered and experienced cricketer recalled specifically to provide guidance to his young successors.

They might have deflected attention away from his own tactical deficiencies on the field but, more critically, they acted as a distraction from the task at hand. Regrettably, they simply gained in intensity until the festering boil burst on the last day of the final Test at Sabina on Sunday.

Lara chose the globally-televised post-match presentation ceremony to embarrass West Indies cricket by repeating his assertion that his team had been undermined by "bad pitches and bad selection".

He elaborated at the subsequent media conference, adding the slanderous implication that the pitch at Sabina Park had been purposely prepared to suit India.

He was so consumed by such irritation that, while batting in the morning in an effort to win the Test, he pointedly turned in the direction of the ground staff after Harbhajan Singh spun an off-break past his edge and cynically applauded on his bat.

It was a cheap gesture that demeaned one of the finest batsmen ever to grace the game. His dismissal soon after was not unexpected.

Lara later told the media he would "revisit" his position as captain once the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) named its selectors at a meeting in a couple of weeks' time. The message was clear. If they did not satisfy him, he would quit-as he has done twice before.

That he did not do so immediately tells a story. He has had his way with the WICB so repeatedly that he is confident it will once more submit to his ultimatum. It might even appoint him sole selector and, in the bargain, supervisor of pitches. After all, its new president, Ken Gordon, persuaded the great and the good of West Indies cricket three months ago to plead with him to once more come to its rescue.

And where was president Gordon while this latest crisis was brewing? What, indeed, was the WICB's response to the captain's shots fired across the bows of its selectors and its ground authorities? The answer to the first question is that the president was in Germany observing the football World Cup with reference to next year's cricket equivalent in the Caribbean.

The answer to the second is that the WICB has uttered not a word. It has been even more rudderless than ever since it has been without a chief executive officer after Roger Brathwaite jumped ship on April 30.

It is no wonder Lara can receive a letter on June 29, dated May 28, advising him he has been appointed a selector. That it was probably a typographical error was typical of the incompetence that has contributed to the decline of our cricket and to the reversal of the maxim that no man is greater than the game.
    Wow

The captaincy was always an ill fit, for one so self-absorbed.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    cant blame him on the issue of pitches though, all those pitches in the series were absolutely atrocious
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    cant blame him on the issue of pitches though, all those pitches in the series were absolutely atrocious

But was it the proper forum for his grievances? Same selection crap happened to Tendulkar (and a lot of other indian captains) when he was captain (selectors worked against him), but he didn't lash out like this.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 04-07-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Well what d'you expect, mighty Tendulkar is superior to Lara in every way
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero

No, actually...Lara is better against spin bowling.

And Lara has a better voice.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    But was it the proper forum for his grievances? Same selection crap happened to Tendulkar (and a lot of other indian captains) when he was captain (selectors worked against him), but he didn't lash out like this.

Oh Really, For selecting who ? Abey Kuruvilla, Nilesh Kulkarni, Sairaj Bahutule etcc ?

The fact is that (just like Indian selectors)Tendulkar himself wasn't above the regional crap and one can see it how he pressed for some really mediocre Mumbai/maharashtra players.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Totally agreed soon as anything is said against lara you get people saying "sachin would have done it differently"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny2k1
    Totally agreed soon as anything is said against lara you get people saying "sachin would have done it differently"

Yes, but the real question is: Is Coziar correct or was lara justified in doing what he did?

Actually, I think it was the opposite. I think the selection was bad, but the pitches were OK. I mean we weren't far away from having results in three matches out of four, and definatly would have had one in two matches if it hadn't rained. I think the pitches like the ones in Jamaica aren't necessarily bad for cricket.

You need class to play on them, as Dravid showed. Even Sarwan and Ramdin especially did great in the second innings. I think its refreshing that a pitch would give help to bowlers instead of batsman once in a while.

The selection on the other hand, was terrible. Why was Dave Mohammad dropped? Why did they include so many batsman when it was clear the captain thought you already had too many?

Lara might have taken it to the extreme, but he certainly was right in asking for a pacy pitch, and what he got in return was certainly disgraceful.

Actually, I think it was the opposite. I think the selection was bad, but the pitches were OK. I mean we weren't far away from having results in three matches out of four, and definatly would have had one in two matches if it hadn't rained. I think the pitches like the ones in Jamaica aren't necessarily bad for cricket.

You need class to play on them, as Dravid showed. Even Sarwan and Ramdin especially did great in the second innings. I think its refreshing that a pitch would give help to bowlers instead of batsman once in a while.
    i dont have problems with the sabina park pitch, but in terms of home advantage the pitch that he got was certainly not what he should have got.
    As far as the other pitches are concerned i think they were all pretty flat with nothing in them for the bowlers, and it was only some very poor batting that resulted in 'nearly games'

Lara might have taken it to the extreme, but he certainly was right in asking for a pacy pitch, and what he got in return was certainly disgraceful.

Fair enough, I just dont know if you want to embarass your country board like that in the press. Thats just going to create enemies.

i dont have problems with the sabina park pitch, but in terms of home advantage the pitch that he got was certainly not what he should have got.
    As far as the other pitches are concerned i think they were all pretty flat with nothing in them for the bowlers, and it was only some very poor batting that resulted in 'nearly games'

I'm not so sure about that. Most of the pitches were good batting pitches on the 1st day, but after that lots of bounce and LBW's and such came into play. The only exception I think was the 3rd test pitch, where it still remained a good batting pitch on the 5th day.

I was stunned that Cozier was actually white!

Did NOT see that coming.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information