• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Cozier slams Lara

C_C

International Captain
Sanz said:
No Big Deal but then dont say that His Highness-Sir-Lord-Sachin-Ramesh-Tendulkar is GOD and so much better than Lara.

No one said that he is God but it is a fact that Sachin is very well behaved both on and off the field while Lara has been given to bouts of petulant behaviour both on and off the field.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
No one said he is a God- what i did say is that Sachin has always conducted himself with grace,modesty and class both on and off the field- the same cannot be said about Lara and i do like the nice -n- quiet types who go about their business ( Tendulkar, Malcolm Marshall etc.) over the loud boistrous ones who cross the limits of decency sometimes ( Lillee, Lara, etc).
Lara's situation is totally different from Tendulkar's. Lara is standing upto the WI Board's stupidity and that should be praised but Tendulkar fanatics, in their quest to prove SRT as better, somehow try to portray Lara as the bad boy here.

Didn't Sachin cross decency when he made an issue out of missing his double figure in Pakistan ? Didn't he cross decency when in the WC post match conf he took a shot @ pakistani players ?

C_C

International Captain
Sanz said:
Lara's situation is totally different from Tendulkar's. Lara is standing upto the WI Board's stupidity and that should be praised but Tendulkar fanatics, in their quest to prove SRT as better, somehow try to portray Lara as the bad boy here.

Didn't Sachin cross decency when he made an issue out of missing his double figure in Pakistan ? Didn't he cross decency when in the WC post match conf he took a shot @ pakistani players ?

No he didnt in either case because he put it quite politely and articulated his words quite gracefully.
I do hope you realise the difference between saying 'sir, i disagree with your viewpoint that i find isnt inclusive of all the facts' and saying 'You are a stupid ignorant tosser'.

And no, i dont see Lara's antics with the board as praiseworthy at all. All it is is a power struggle and BCL is a far cry from being a gentleman on and off the pitch like Tendulkar is.
That doesnt affect either as to how good or bad a player they are but it does affect their reputation and respectability a lot.

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
Sanz said:
No Big Deal but then dont say that His Highness-Sir-Lord-Sachin-Ramesh-Tendulkar is GOD and so much better than Lara.

But you don't get it do you, he is, he totally is GOD and that in itself makes him that much better than Lara. ;)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
vic_orthdox said:
I'm not sure if it was such a bad move for Lara to highlight the deficiencies of what he has to work with into the media. It increases the public's knowledge of the workings of the WICB, and should create a greater amount of accountability towards the players, and thus the fans, to save further embarrassment.
There are a couple more things that should be highlighted. If I feel like it later I'll get around to them.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
C_C said:
No he didnt in either case because he put it quite politely and articulated his words quite gracefully.
I do hope you realise the difference between saying 'sir, i disagree with your viewpoint that i find isnt inclusive of all the facts' and saying 'You are a stupid ignorant tosser'.

And no, i dont see Lara's antics with the board as praiseworthy at all. All it is is a power struggle and BCL is a far cry from being a gentleman on and off the pitch like Tendulkar is.
That doesnt affect either as to how good or bad a player they are but it does affect their reputation and respectability a lot.
Oh come off it. It's not a power struggle. Lara's identifying serious problems with the WICB. Sure, you may not like how he's done it but just abour every modern captain has what Lara wants for his team so he's within his rights to mouth off at the idiots. And it doesn't matter how you say it. it's still wrong. A racist comment is a racist comment no matter how it's said.

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
Sanz said:

Good call Sanz :)

BCL is a far cry from being a gentleman on and off the pitch like Tendulkar is.
C_C you cant say that, we all know how much by ur posts how crazy you are about tendulkar, but he is no more or no less a sportsman/gentleman than Lara, they are both great cricketers, Put sachin in laras situation and what would he do, go down quietly? if i was a west Indian fan i wouldd want to see the captain coming out fighting shows he cares!!

And yes i am a lara fan am not going to deny that but i at least am not pretending that lara is head and shoulders above the rest its just an issue to me that people think that sachin is the be all and end all.

And im not having a go C_C you are entitled to your opinion and i respect it, just dont like seeing you always putting Sachin on a different plane to every one else, so i like to put my point accross too :) no offence intended in any of my posts

Last edited:

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Yes, and I'm asking whats the big deal about it?
think he was trying to prove that in sachins fans minds, its one rule for sachin and one for the other "mortals"

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
Didn't Sachin cross decency when he made an issue out of missing his double figure in Pakistan ?
Yes he did, once. And then he shut the hell up about it, unlike the continuous whining by Lara. Sachin should have voiced his concern privately.

I can completely understand why Sachin was mad, and he was right to be mad. Just like I can completely understand why Lara is mad, and he is right to be mad. But the way he is going about it is wrong. Difference is, Sachin stopped after that day and from then on keeps saying it doesn't matter to him, whether it does or not. Lara keeps whining like a little baby, dragging his, and his boards' reputations down with him.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Yes he did, once. And then he shut the hell up about it, unlike the continuous whining by Lara. Sachin should have voiced his concern privately.
What is Lara Whinning about ? Years ago when Sachin was captain on a tour to WI, Srinath got Injured. Indian board decided to send NOEL DAVID as Srinath's replacement. That was the only instance of a pathetic spinner replacing the best fast bowler your country has ever produced. Not to forget that Mr. David never played a test. Pretty much every one knew that Noel David had bribed an Indian selector to get on the tour bus.

And Our captain decided to stay mum about it. How Gracious ? Let us award him Bharat Ratna for that.

I can completely understand why Sachin was mad, and he was right to be mad. Just like I can completely understand why Lara is mad, and he is right to be mad. But the way he is going about it is wrong. Difference is, Sachin stopped after that day and from then on keeps saying it doesn't matter to him, whether it does or not. Lara keeps whining like a little baby, dragging his, and his boards' reputations down with him.
Please put your prejudices aside before accusing Lara of whinning. Current WI board has no reputation to start with, it is probably the worst board after Zimbabwe. Lara as the captain of the team gets the blame if the WI team loses so he has all the rights to speak when he is not getting a team he wants. And you must remember, he didn't really say much during the series, he said so only after the series was over.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
C_C - In case you forgot, Sachin said "**** Off" to Mcgrath without being provoked. If that is being polite then you got to change your definition of politeness.

After the 2003 WC game against Pak, Sachin Said - "We have beaten them 4 times in world cups now, that should prove a point" - I am sure you will call that polite, articulate and gracious, IMO it was just the opposite.

After missng his double tone, he public said "I was surprised and dissapointed" is obviously very gracious in your book.

And no, i dont see Lara's antics with the board as praiseworthy at all. All it is is a power struggle and BCL is a far cry from being a gentleman on and off the pitch like Tendulkar is.That doesnt affect either as to how good or bad a player they are but it does affect their reputation and respectability a lot.
Powerstruggle between whom ? Lara didn't ask for captaincy, WI board made him the captain and now they dont want him to be part of the selection process.

C_C

International Captain
After the 2003 WC game against Pak, Sachin Said - "We have beaten them 4 times in world cups now, that should prove a point" - I am sure you will call that polite, articulate and gracious, IMO it was just the opposite.
That was in response to a direct question thrown at him.

After missng his double tone, he public said "I was surprised and dissapointed" is obviously very gracious in your book.
There is nothing ungracious about being 'surprised and disappointed'. Gracious and/or ungraciousness involves human interactive conduct. Not personal opinion over a milestone.

Powerstruggle between whom ? Lara didn't ask for captaincy, WI board made him the captain and now they dont want him to be part of the selection process.
Go to caribbeancricket.com and see for yourself. Lara is quite invovled in a power struggle with WICB because its too much for him to be a player and not captain on the field.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And you must remember, he didn't really say much during the series, he said so only after the series was over.

No, he was complaining leading up to the last test, *****ing and moaning right when Dave Mohhamad was dropped and he didn't get a bowler. In fact, the board to had to tell Lara to cut it out....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
Actually, thats about the most gracious way to answer that question. I would have publically accused Dravid of sabotaging my innings just so he could have more double hundreds than I did (sachin had 4, dravid had 5 at that point, I believe). And then I would have stormed out and punched Dravid in the face. I mean Dravid IMO is the second most important cricketer to this team right now (right after Kumble), but declaring on 194* is insane. Every other captain interviewed said they would give him an over to get 200 and then declare.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Actually, thats about the most gracious way to answer that question. I would have publically accused Dravid of sabotaging my innings just so he could have more double hundreds than I did (sachin had 4, dravid had 5 at that point, I believe). And then I would have stormed out and punched Dravid in the face. I mean Dravid IMO is the second most important cricketer to this team right now (right after Kumble), but declaring on 194* is insane. Every other captain interviewed said they would give him an over to get 200 and then declare.
You sound like an Idiot for saying that you would have punched Dravid. I dont think you even watched the game. It was Sourav Ganguly (and not Dravid) who signalled the declaration even though he was not playing the test match. Here is a recap :-

"....According to a member of the team, two messages were sent to Tendulkar through Ramesh Powar to up the ante and get to his double-century quickly. It is learnt that the team management wanted the declaration soon after tea, contending that India had enough runs on the board to defend. Thus, after waiting for an hour after tea it was decided to call the batsmen in....The argument was that while Yuvraj Singh, playing only his second Test, was scoring at a brisk pace, Tendulkar, who had been at the crease for more than four hours, was relatively slow. Tendulkar's partnership with Yuvraj yielded 110 runs, of which Yuvraj scored 59 off 66 balls while Tendulkar was unable to find the fence...."

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And no It was not Gracious, IMO. Rahul was in 90s when India declared @ Sydeny. No one cared, neither did Rahul cry that he was dissappointed. Media and fans are obsessed with Tendulkar and his records, period.

C_C

International Captain
Sanz said:
And no It was not Gracious, IMO. Rahul was in 90s when India declared @ Sydeny. No one cared, neither did Rahul cry that he was dissappointed. Media and fans are obsessed with Tendulkar and his records, period.

Tendulkar was SPECIFICALLY asked how he felt about it- he answered it.
There is a categoric difference in experessing personal opinion in mild terms when pointedly asked about it and throwing yer toys out of the pram like Lara does so often.