• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Fred

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Unfortunately Fred Trueman has lost his battle with cancer.

A truly great fast bowler and commentator in later life.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just saw it on Cricinfo myself. Sad to see such a great player go.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One of the greatest fast bowlers. A terrible loss.

One of my favourite Trueman moments was his appearance as "himself" in the Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy radio play, as the commentator at Lords. Quite hilarious hearing him talk about the sofa appearing in the middle of the pitch and so on, and how "they didn't have things like this in my day...".

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The greatest England fast bowler of all time and in the early days a very knowledgeable and witty commentator.

R.I.P.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
RIP, a huge, huge loss to cricket. Here's hoping England can gain a victory in his honour today. I get the feeling he'd make this team look a whole lot more threatening if he was around today. :(

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll always remember his performance in that episoode of Dad's Army. Fair gun.

RIP

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
Quite fitting that todays game is at Headingley, lets hope harmison is fired up and produces a performance in memory of the great man.

RIP

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Was it me, or did David Gower just talk all the way through the minutes silence for him?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Heard about it whilst watching the tennis when the commentators mentioned it. Very sad :(

RIP

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
I'll always remember his performance in that episoode of Dad's Army. Fair gun.

RIP
Yes that was a classic :laugh:

A truly great bowler, will be missed by cricket

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Joins his old mucker Statham in England's celestial opening attack.

RIP Frederick, we'll not see your like again. :(

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I loved his little stammering commentary accent . ( sometimes repeated by an English comedian whose name escapes me)

By all accounts one of the greatest Fast Bowlers ever . The original Freddie .

RIP .

JBH001

International Regular
Perhaps England's greatest fast bowler.

And from all accounts a character too.

(He's probably having a celestial pint of beer with Statham somewhere. Not to mention the other Yorkshire luminaries like Rhodes, Sutcliffe, Hutton etc)

RIP Fred.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Certainly is a great shame. I seen the footage where he and that other bloke destroyed the indian attack, leaving them 0-4 (Or 4-0 if you australian)

archie mac

International Coach
Tomm NCCC said:
Certainly is a great shame. I seen the footage where he and that other bloke destroyed the indian attack, leaving them 0-4 (Or 4-0 if you australian)
'Jim' Swanton contacted his paper by telegram and sent the early score of 0/4. They said one back saying surely you mean 4/0