• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket from the stands

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
How often do you get to go to a ground and watch a game? Who do you go and watch? Just wondering is all :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I rarely see a cricket match from the stands as I live in the US. However, I travelled down to WI to see a cricket match. The atomsphere was good, but I found I enjoy watching cricket on the television more, at home with friends or at a bar or something.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I watch cricket in England (Somerset usually) and South Africa (Mercedes Warriors)

I'm a sports photographer and although I don't get paid for doing cricket, I'm usually sat in front of the stands behind my camera.. If there's cricket on that isn't Twenty20, I don't care whos playing, I'll watch/snap it.. I'll go with whoever wants to go, but I don't need company to watch cricket

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
I'm a sports photographer and although I don't get paid for doing cricket, I'm usually sat in front of the stands behind my camera.. If there's cricket on that isn't Twenty20, I don't care whos playing, I'll watch/snap it.. I'll go with whoever wants to go, but I don't need company to watch cricket
..what sport do you usually cover

adharcric

International Coach
Never, unless I'm not in the XI for my club and I go to watch them play. :)
Next year was going to change that, but WC plans look bleaker now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GoT_SpIn said:
Thanks to those bunch of ******s in cricket Australia i won't be able to see a test
Explain?

How is the excessive demand for the tickets their fault?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Explain?

How is the excessive demand for the tickets their fault?
It was hardly excessive demand. They expected such demand, but didn't have measures in place to deal with it. Thus, a lot of people who put a great deal of time and effort into getting tickets were unable to get them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Whether they expected such demand or not is irrelevant.

When there are x thousand people wanting y thousand tickets and x is a lot bigger than y, there will always be a lot of people who don't get tickets - that isn't CA's fault.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
I have never been to a match but thats all going to change. I got my tickets today for the Pakistan XI v International XI twenty20 charity match on the 10th of July! I am looking forward to some big hitting and hopefully a Pakistan win!!

Dasa

marc71178 said:
Whether they expected such demand or not is irrelevant.

When there are x thousand people wanting y thousand tickets and x is a lot bigger than y, there will always be a lot of people who don't get tickets - that isn't CA's fault.
You're missing the point. Everyone knew there would be people who would miss out. The problem we have is that the systems wasn't set up to reward those who put the most effort into getting tickets, the people who were on the phone all day and on the internet all day trying their best. Instead, it was just a matter of luck as to whether someone could get through or not. It was a poorly planned mess and a lot of people are justifiably aggrieved at not getting tickets.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
When I'm not playing myself, I'll happily watch other games of cricket. Live right near a park, or go watch my old school side play. Supposed to do some recruiting for our club too, so that sort of gives me an incentive. Great way to spend a hungover afternoon - head to the cricket with a mate and talk tripe.

Got some pretty amazing seats for the Boxing Day Test last year, and usually go to at least one day of the Test. Haven't gone to a One Day match for the past three years - too many 16 year olds trying to be drunken yobbos with some sort of wit.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
You're missing the point. Everyone knew there would be people who would miss out. The problem we have is that the systems wasn't set up to reward those who put the most effort into getting tickets, the people who were on the phone all day and on the internet all day trying their best. Instead, it was just a matter of luck as to whether someone could get through or not. It was a poorly planned mess and a lot of people are justifiably aggrieved at not getting tickets.
How do you create a system that isn't just luck then?

Because that same sort of thing happens all the time for major sporting events.

However if you are on the phone/net all day you have more chance of getting through than Joe Bloggs who only tries once.

But the bottom line is it's not CA's fault that such a system doesn't exist.

Dasa

marc71178 said:
However if you are on the phone/net all day you have more chance of getting through than Joe Bloggs who only tries once.
...which was clearly not the case. It isn't a case of whether a suitable system exists, even though it does. The problem was simply the lack of planning by Cricket Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, it clearly is the case. It is luck if your call gets through.

Therefore if you ring 100 times, you're much more likely to get through than someone who rings once.

And if, as you say, this suitable system exists, how come it's never used for things like Wimbledon, England football Internationals, even the World Cup?