• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Non-Playing Cricket Fans

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Now during my short time on this forum i've noticed that a good deal of members tend to have played cricket at various levels and i just wondered having myself never played any level of orgainsed cricket (i'm 20 now so there's no chance of that changing) how many other people are regular cricket fans without being regular players?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've never played outside of the schoolgrounds, etc.

Then again, I'm a huge US football fan and I've never played that, playground or otherwise (I've played flag football though).

Fusion

Global Moderator
I've never played outside of playgrounds/streets with friends. Nothing in an organized manner. But I'm still a HUGE fan. I think if I hadn't moved to the U.S when I was 12, I may have played for my school at the very least (or at least tried). In the U.S, there was no chance to do that at that young age. Instead, I took up baseball and played that throughout High School.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Huge fan, never played, from a non-playing country, and being 39, I doubt I will have a chance

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
atichon said:
Huge fan, never played, from a non-playing country, and being 39, I doubt I will have a chance
Same here, except in my case it's caused by wearing glasses the thickness of a decent slice of beef.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Have only managed about 5 games in the last two seasons due to work. Doesn't look like I'll get many more games in the near future either considering my job is to report on the games, not play in them. :(

adharcric

International Coach
Played club cricket at the age of 14, high school cricket for four years and I've completed a year of league cricket now. Despite the pressure, don't plan to give it up anytime soon.

cpr

International Coach
i've not picked up a bat in anger since leaving school 5 years ago, bar a couple of knock abouts in the park with uni mates. Cricket being a summer sport kinda didnt fit into my uni timetable, as i'd taken up hockey/football (then promptly left uni before the cricket season started)... as the years went on, even they fell by the wayside for more focus on traditional uni sports: Extreme Drinking and Drunken Pool.

Been tempted to go down to my local Cheshire County League side and have a try out, but i'm worried that after 5 years i'd be laughably bad (bowling down the hall with a bouncy ball cant have kept me in form! As for batting i'd probably be even worse)

It'd be nice to play again, even if it was just to keep me in shape, but i'm not getting my hopes up, i'm 23, not played in years, and i wasnt too hot in the first place (although i think mentally i'm more aware of the game and how to play better, so i reckon i'd be a much better player now)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Except for running, which I used to be half-decent at before I discovered women and alcohol, I have always been completely diabolical at all sports. I take my brother for a bat and bowl fairly often, but I never play properly. I suck.

Steulen

International Regular
Never ever played the game, other then once throwing a tennis ball in such a way that it came out as a leg spinner. Yay me.

Of course, over here hardly anyone plays the game, especially not in my former part of the country and in my socio-economic class.

Being an anglophile scientist does make you susceptible to liking cricket, though, so here I am.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I play locally for my club (U-15s, occasional adult games) and for my school side. Can't even comprehend what cricket would be like if you can't experience it yourself.