• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old Vs New?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
tooextracool said:
it is 29.35, it was an error on my part on doing the calculations. i stand by my opinion that i dont need to state that i have excluded zimbabwe and bangladesh because i believe that that should be the norm. I'd prefer it if people would state that they have included bangladesh and zimbabwe when they quote averages rather than the other way around, given that far too many players have their averages inflated against these 2 teams. Of course that is only my opinion but considering that i usually exclude bangladesh and zimbabwe when i quote averages anyways, i would have thought that people would have realised immediately on noticing the difference from his stated record that i had gotten rid of the minnows statistics.
As far as the mistake is concerned, it still does not change my argument, 29.35 or 30.00 is not deserving of a place in the side, and the fact that his record only gets worse when you look at his more recent performances(from 2005 onwards after which hes got worked out) does not help him
You can't just assume such things however.

If you post stats on this board you should as general good practise, state what changes if any you made to them so as to avoid confusion for new posters and people who didn't see your above post.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
it is 29.35, it was an error on my part on doing the calculations. i stand by my opinion that i dont need to state that i have excluded zimbabwe and bangladesh because i believe that that should be the norm. I'd prefer it if people would state that they have included bangladesh and zimbabwe when they quote averages rather than the other way around, given that far too many players have their averages inflated against these 2 teams. Of course that is only my opinion but considering that i usually exclude bangladesh and zimbabwe when i quote averages anyways, i would have thought that people would have realised immediately on noticing the difference from his stated record that i had gotten rid of the minnows statistics.
As far as the mistake is concerned, it still does not change my argument, 29.35 or 30.00 is not deserving of a place in the side, and the fact that his record only gets worse when you look at his more recent performances(from 2005 onwards after which hes got worked out) does not help him
Without checking the stats, Strauss' odi figures from 2005 onwards must be truly dreadful if you take Bang out of the picture. Part of that, of course, is the dip in form since he's started opening in these games - a trend which is obvious to all except D. Fletcher, apparently. That's why some folks want to see him batting at 4 again. Quite who should open for us is anyone's guess though. You could make a case for Bell. Or even Carberry, who has shown some form for Hants in these games lately.

Truth is most the fixtures in the side haven't been great. Tresco is supposed to be a world class oneday batsman, but we've seen precious little of it over the last 2 years. Collingwood's batting average since the 2003 WC has been poor, and certainly doesn't justify a place in the top 5. Jones is generally appalling, as any fule knows. Harmison's oneday bowling hasn't come on as it should - as seen by 2 poor games out of 3 against SL so far.

Oddly, we looked better immediately after the last WC, when faced with replacing Knight, Hussain, Stewart, White & Caddick at the same time. Of course, it helped that Gough & Johnson were bowling far better than anyone currently in the side. And that Tres enjoyed something of a golden summer. Time to bring back Anthony McGrath maybe? :happy:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Quadruple post? :-O
Er yes, and it wasn't that good in the first place. Bit of a disaster there. I'm trying to delete 3 of them but failing badly.

EDIT
That's better!

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Without checking the stats, Strauss' odi figures from 2005 onwards must be truly dreadful if you take Bang out of the picture. Part of that, of course, is the dip in form since he's started opening in these games - a trend which is obvious to all except D. Fletcher, apparently. That's why some folks want to see him batting at 4 again. Quite who should open for us is anyone's guess though. You could make a case for Bell. Or even Carberry, who has shown some form for Hants in these games lately.
Strauss' record at 4 isnt exactly brilliant either, an average of 33.8 cannot be put down as anything other than ordinary. and that of course is inflated by his golden 2004 summer after which hes failed to reach anywhere near those levels.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Strauss has played in over 50 ODIs now, and his average stands at 27.3 which is clearly not good enough.
Quick thought. If you're discounting his matches against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, then he hasn't played in over 50 ODIs. You're being inconsistent.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Nick Knight is retiring after this season, recalling him would be a bit extreme IMO.

I think Mal Loye defintely deserves his chance, especialy as Solanki is still somehow in the side despite being obviously not cut out for ODI cricket.