• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it time for Malcolm Speed to go ?

Is it time for Malcolm Speed to go ?

• Total voters

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Yes it's time for him to go in my opinion...his handing of the events of the last week has left much to be desired and I think it's time for someone new to take over.

My vote (if I had one) would be for Ali Bacher of South Africa...a man who knows cricket and how to be a good administrator

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally think being the chairman of an organisation means you carry some responsibility for said organisation's actions. You appear not to.
Not the case. I just think removing him in isolation, blaming him for all of the problems the ICC has handled poorly, dusting off our hands and saying "Job well done, lads!" ignores the root causes. I mean, it'd be akin to removal of the Aussie governor-general due to the Siev X issue and assuming the problem of boat people will now go away.

The 'not in my name' argument is a very strong one, though. However, either Speed doesn't feel strongly enough about Mugabe and Zimbabwe (which I find quite repugnant if it's the case) or he feels so strongly about it that he honestly believes the ICC can eventually make a difference and isn't willing to just throw the towel in because his public profile doesn't look outstanding right now. Can anyone say they have evidence either way?

Basically though, you are arguing that we can't hold Speed to any standards on his public commentary.
Not what I'm advocating. I just don't think much of what he's said is incredibly damaging. How do you know he didn't meet with players because that's the Zimbabwean delegate's job? Too many unanswered questions for mine and not enough evidence either way.

Anyway, it probably comes of that I'm defending Speed when that's not what I'm intending. All I'm saying is that the problems of of the ICC, their dealings with Zimbabwe, matching-fixing, bowlers chucking, etc. have much deeper root-causes and sacking Speed won't change that. At all.

Either way, it remains to be seen; I'm sure Speed will be sacked or resign at some stage. If and when that happens, after some time has passed, we'll be in a better position to judge whether anything has actually changed. It certainly didn't when Damiya went.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Eyes_Only said:
Yes it's time for him to go in my opinion...his handing of the events of the last week has left much to be desired and I think it's time for someone new to take over.

My vote (if I had one) would be for Ali Bacher of South Africa...a man who knows cricket and how to be a good administrator
Can't both have the president and CEO from South Africa. :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am I the only person who thinks the ICC is doing a decent job?
Certainly they're doing better now they don't jump in and change rules willy-nilly, introducing such abominations as the 'one bouncer per over per batsman' rule.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
Can't both have the president and CEO from South Africa. :p
Good point...wonder if the rules can be changed so that will be allowed!! 8-)

Seriously...Bacher is the only one who would be perfect for the job...who else could be considered for it??

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Not what I'm advocating. I just don't think much of what he's said is incredibly damaging. How do you know he didn't meet with players because that's the Zimbabwean delegate's job? Too many unanswered questions for mine and not enough evidence either way.
Well, the Zimbabwe players were furious that Speed didn't bother to meet with them when he visited on an apparent "fact-finding" mission. And the nature of the dispute meant that meeting with a Zimbabwean delegate (isn't that still Chingoka, who insists the ZCU is doing a "fabulous job"???) would be counter-productive, because they would likely operate on the interests of the ZCU. That's just stupid.

All I'm saying is that the problems of of the ICC, their dealings with Zimbabwe, matching-fixing, bowlers chucking, etc. have much deeper root-causes and sacking Speed won't change that. At all.
I really think this is a strawman, particularly as Brumby and PY have both explicitly mentioned that there should be no presumption that Speed would be the sole fall guy of such a cleanout. The issue here is an evaluation of Speed's performance in the job as one of the public spokesman/figurehead of the organization, and I think people have brought to bear quite valid criticisms. Whether one's sacking will change an entire organization or not is hardly a reasonable criteria for whether an employee should be dumped or retained.