• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Frontyard' cricket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
For the first 10 years of my life living in this house it was pretty much impossible to play backyard cricket because we had so much crap in the backyard. Then we cleared it and it was fine...

But before then our family played cricket on the driveway. Discuss your frontyard cricket rules, memories and other stuff. Especially obstacles and any instances of breaking other peoples stuff :ph34r:

The main problem was a storm drain directly in front of the house. We lost many a tennis ball...

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Lol, would be a good idea, that is if my drive didnt lead right to a main road and there wernt several cars in the way

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never actually played cricket in my backyard, was always on the driveway. Made for much more predictable bounce, although Mum and Dad weren't too keen on their cars getting hit with the tennis ball. A four was any ball that made it across the road, while a six had to clear the road altogether and land on the other side. If you hit it and it bounced on the road itself, you were out.

Stumped

Banned
i cant play frontyard cricket because our driveway is extremely slopped and not enough room on the grass so we play backyard

andmark

International Captain
For the first 10 years of my life living in this house it was pretty much impossible to play backyard cricket because we had so much crap in the backyard. Then we cleared it and it was fine...

But before then our family played cricket on the driveway. Discuss your frontyard cricket rules, memories and other stuff. Especially obstacles and any instances of breaking other peoples stuff :ph34r:

The main problem was a storm drain directly in front of the house. We lost many a tennis ball...
Well the only time I played Frontyard cricket was.Just before I went to Old Trafford to watch England vs Pakistan.We were playing with a real cricket ball.But suddenly the ball hitted the window off the bat.Thank god it didn't smash.

Raptor11

Cricket Spectator
I occasionally play frontyard cricket in my driveway but I way prefer my backyard; ten times more space.

Anyway, the times I do play frontyard cricket we have a couple of rules:

1. Since our driveway has one wall right next to it (On the left), you are not allowed to hit it that way, if it goes over: You are out and subtract 20 runs fom your score (If it's zero, it becomes -20)
2. A boundary may be scored if it is hit over the swimming pool to the right. If it bounces after it crosses the swimming pool it's a four. If it just flies over the pool and lands in the garden, it's a six.
3. A fielder is allowed as in 2 positions: A slip, or a fielder just before the boundary.

Not very exciting, though.

Dunga

Cricket Spectator
We live on a place (which means you just go up and back) of about 6 houses, and its maybe 40 yards long anyway. The road is flat so lately me and my family and mates have started playing cricket there. I remember once my sister convinced me to let her use a cricket ball, she decided to try fast roundarm bowling. Almost hit the neighbours car :D

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
We only ever played one-on-one, didn't have anyone else to play.

The retaining wall in the bloke's frontyard across the road and the wheel of the car next door are the straight boundaries. Streetlights about 50-60m away mark the square boundary. Top-edge into the bricks above the garage door is a 4 over the keeper, unless it hits the eaves, in which case it's 3. Any edge into the garage door is out, unless we're playing in the middle of the double driveway (lived in a duplex, so when the people next door were out, we played in the middle rather than on our side), in which case only the garage door on the offside and the wall separating the garage doors count as keeper + slips.

10 overs a side, must bowl 4 overs of quick, 2 overs of off spin, 2 overs of leg spin, and 2 overs of "fifth bowler", which is just bowling medium pace. On garbage day, the bins count as cover/mid wicket fielders.

Following a shot, once the fielder reaches the ball, they batsman must stop running, unless the fielder actually throws at the stumps, in which case the batsman must try to stop the ball once he reaches his ground to avoid the ball being lost down the drain, because nobody wants to jump down the drain to get the ball.

tim#7

Cricket Spectator
at my mates house we play 'The slogging game' where you arent allowed to run and you cna only hit 6s and 4s. It's on his driveway and across the road ( bout 30 meters ) is the boundary.

Biggest hit came when my mate hit one into the backyard of the house across the road on the full.

Son Of Coco

We used to have huge frontyard cricket matches that took up 3 frontyards and the road (of course). We even used a hard ball on occasions with the rule that anything on the legs had to be defended otherwise it'd be hit through someone's front window. Some matches went for 6-8 hours with breaks for lunch/tea etc. It was the site of my maiden 100 against a hard ball. I also got run out from the corner as I attempted a second to a direct hit. In a couple of 'day/night' games we put big lights up on our mate's parent's brick front fence and played on until about 9pm.

They were good times.

Mister Wright

Used to love frontyard cricket. You had to hit the ball over the road to get a six, but if the ball landed on the road you were out. Was a great rule. Also broke so many windows it wasn't funny.

Ponting Man

School Boy/Girl Captain
don't really have a front yard or backyard i live on a farm with lots of space so u could really call in yard cricket