• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your choice– best playing XI from a match

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
I was going to go for an Australian team that had a McGrath/Gillespie/Lee/Warne attack, and Hayden/Langer/Ponting/Martyn/S.Waugh/Lehmann/Gilchrist for the batting. Interestingly, this side never played together, as the only time that exact batting lineup existed was during Warne's one year ban.

So, with that in mind, it'd have to be the Australian team from the 01/02 series against South Africa.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
M. Waugh
S. Waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

I think Lehmann, at least on ability, was a marginally better batsman than Mark Waugh, but that's the only possibly change to that lineup in my view. Obviously Lee wasn't as good then as he is now, McGrath wasn't on top form during that series and so on, but as a straight-out list of players it is phenomenally good, and stands up decently against any team, ever.
That's another good combination. They've had a lot of cricket together, and have also won a lot. An Aussie ODI side with four seamers and Symonds as a stock bowler would also look good.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Barry Richards
  2. Eddie Barlow
  3. Rohan Kanhai
  4. Graeme Pollock
  5. Clive Lloyd
  6. Garfield Sobers (captain)
  7. Farroukh Engineer (keeper)
  8. Intikhab Alam
  9. Mike Proctor
  10. Graham McKenzie
  11. Lance Gibbs

In batting order, this was the team that played at the Lord's as the World XI in the summer of 1970. If there was a better collection of eleven individual cricketers (I am careful as I chose my words) to take the field in a cricket match before or since, I would love to know of it.

With a fantastic all rounder like Mike Proctor batting at number nine (who scored a brilliant 61 by the way) this team could bat with flair and aggression against the best bowlers in the world. In Barry Richards they had one of the greatest post war batsmen, in Sobers the most complete cricketer ever, in Proctor a great all rounder, in Kanhai one of the most exciting batsmen who rivalled the great Sobers for the title of the best batsman in West Indies, in Pollock, arguably the greatest left hander ever.

With McKenzie and Barlow to share the new ball, Sobers to help them if required or use his left arm spin to support the off spin of Gibbs and the leg spin of Intikhab, they had a bowler for every type of surface.

It is a brilliant fielding side as well with Engineer behind the stumps bringing flair and more importantly a lively spirit that would never allow the side to get listless.

I was 20 when this match was played and I can still remember the excitement we felt at just the thought that all these players would be exhibiting their skills in the same game. We envied those who could watch the game and were so sad that we had no way to watch anu of it even on television.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
SJS said:
  1. Barry Richards
  2. Eddie Barlow
  3. Rohan Kanhai
  4. Graeme Pollock
  5. Clive Lloyd
  6. Garfield Sobers (captain)
  7. Farroukh Engineer (keeper)
  8. Intikhab Alam
  9. Mike Proctor
  10. Graham McKenzie
  11. Lance Gibbs

In batting order, this was the team that played at the Lord's as the World XI in the summer of 1970. If there was a better collection of eleven individual cricketers (I am careful as I chose my words) to take the field in a cricket match before or since, I would love to know of it.
Okay SJS

BC Broad
*RT Robinson
M Newell
P Johnson
CEB Rice
JD Birch
RJ Hadlee
+BN French
EE Hemmings
MK Bore

:laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
I was 20 when this match was played and I can still remember the excitement we felt at just the thought that all these players would be exhibiting their skills in the same game. We envied those who could watch the game and were so sad that we had no way to watch anu of it even on television.
I saw much of the second test live at Trent Bridge (some of it when I shouldn't - luckily, school for me was less than a mile from the ground and, well, Double Physics didn't have quite the same appeal as Applied Sobers) - Barlow was magnificent, taking a 5-for and scoring a breathtaking hundred, yet England won convincingly thanks to Luckhurst, much to my delight (although Graeme Pollock scored 2 and 0).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Autobahn said:
Okay SJS

BC Broad
*RT Robinson
M Newell
P Johnson
CEB Rice
JD Birch
RJ Hadlee
+BN French
EE Hemmings
MK Bore

I used to open the bowling for my club with John Birch - and you've only picked 10.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
I used to open the bowling for my club with John Birch - and you've only picked 10.
Missed out Andy Pick.

And what was Birch's bowling like? I've only really picked up cricket again last year so i dunno.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Autobahn said:
Missed out Andy Pick.

And what was Birch's bowling like? I've only really picked up cricket again last year so i dunno.
Well, when I played with him, he was only about 16 and I was already an established player. To be honest, he was still better than me - and as a batsman there was no comparison.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
Okay SJS

BC Broad
*RT Robinson
M Newell
P Johnson
CEB Rice
JD Birch
RJ Hadlee
+BN French
EE Hemmings
MK Bore

Thats a truly great side but who is this bloke R J Hadlee :unsure:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
No there are 11.

1. BC Broad
2. *RT Robinson
3. M Newell
4. P Johnson
5. CEB Rice
6. JD Birch
7. RJ Hadlee
8. +BN French
9. EE Hemmings
10. MK Bore and
11. :laugh:

You dont need to name a guy when his picture is recognised across all continents :happy:

tooextracool

International Coach
Goughy said:
Boucher at 9 shows a long batting line-up but could you not find a team without Adams?
This stolen from the South African lineup in the carlton 97 series is IMO a far better side
Kirsten
Kallis
Klusener
Cullinan
Cronje (c)
N Rhodes
Pollock
McMillan
Symcox
Richardson (k)
Donald

I would argue that that is the best ODI side in the history of cricket. Looking at SA's record from 96 onwards(http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchListCountry_ODI.asp?A=SAF), its hard to see why not.

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Jammy? Still looks like England's best ever oneday side to me.
Cant see how a side that included Chris Lewis, Derek Pringle, Dermot Reeve, a past it Ian Botham and an inexperienced Hick can be considered our best ever. Instead i nominate this side from the Carlton & United series in 97-98:

N V Knight
A J Stewart (c) (k)
M A Ealham
N Hussain
G A Hick
N H Fairbrother
A J Hollioake
R D B Croft
D Gough
D W Headley
A D Mullally

In it we have our best ODI opener ever-Nick Knight, our best wicket keeper ever- Alec stewart and our 2 best ODI bowlers ever- Alan Mullally and Darren Gough. All 4 were in their primes. I would also consider this one:

N Hussain
A J Stewart (c) (k)
G A Hick
G P Thorpe
N H Fairbrother
A Flintoff
A J Hollioake
M A Ealham
D Gough
A R C Fraser
A D Mullally

which when you look back at it appears to be a dream England side. Where was it from? The 99 world cup where England didnt make it past the first round at home

Xuhaib

International Coach
1.Sadiq Mohammad (Decent defensive test opener)
2.Majid Khan (Good attacking test opener)
3.Zaheer Abbas (world class attacking bat)
4.Mushtaq Mohammad (Good middle order bat and a decent leggie)
5.Asif Iqbal (Good middle order nudger and a useful medium pace)
6.Javaid Miandad (World class bat)
7.Wasim Raja (Attacking middle order bat and a useful leggie)
8.Imran Khan (One of the alltime greatest all-rounder)
9.Sarfaraz( Excellent new ball and reverse swing bowler)
10.Iqbal Qasim (Excellent SLA)
Wasim Bari (Best Pakistani keeper ever.)

This lot played a lot of games together and is probably the best Pakistani side ever on paper, and there is a feeling they underachieved.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
1.Sadiq Mohammad (Decent defensive test opener)
2.Majid Khan (Good attacking test opener)
3.Zaheer Abbas (world class attacking bat)
4.Mushtaq Mohammad (Good middle order bat and a decent leggie)
5.Asif Iqbal (Good middle order nudger and a useful medium pace)
6.Javaid Miandad (World class bat)
7.Wasim Raja (Attacking middle order bat and a useful leggie)
8.Imran Khan (One of the alltime greatest all-rounder)
9.Sarfaraz( Excellent new ball and reverse swing bowler)
10.Iqbal Qasim (Excellent SLA)
Wasim Bari (Best Pakistani keeper ever.)

This lot played a lot of games together and is probably the best Pakistani side ever on paper, and there is a feeling they underachieved.
Thats a very good side though I dont know if it would qualify as the best ever unless we were talkin g only Pakistani cricket history.

These eleven had four overlapping years (1976-1979) so I am sure one would find a match they played together as a team. But a great Pakistani side without Wasim and Waqar is a pity.

As one starts moving further from 79 they start dropping off this team.

Mushtaq in 1980 is not a great loss since Qadir is there.

Then Sadiq and Asif in 1981. Tolerable again. Mudassar Nazar has come in by now and can replace Sadiq.

I think 1983 gives a very good Pakistani team. Imran, Miandad, Zaheer, Majid, Sarfaraz, Bari, Raja and Qasim are still there. Then you have a choice from Qadir, Saleem Malik, Mudassar Nazar to replace Asif, Mushtaq and Sadiq. I would pick a side from 1983 that has
1. Mudassar Nazar
2. Majid Khan
3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Javed Miandad
5. Salim Malik
6. Wasim raja
7. Imran Khan
8. Wasim Bari
9. Sarfaraz Nawaz
10. Iqbal Qasim
11. Abdul Qadir.

But I am not satisfied. Going beyond 85 takes away the great Zaheer Abbas and I cant think of a batsman to replace him till Inzy comes in many years later by which time we may have lost Majid too but gained the great Waqar and Wasim.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie

Xuhaib

International Coach
SJS said:
Thats a very good side though I dont know if it would qualify as the best ever unless we were talkin g only Pakistani cricket history.

These eleven had four overlapping years (1976-1979) so I am sure one would find a match they played together as a team. But a great Pakistani side without Wasim and Waqar is a pity.

As one starts moving further from 79 they start dropping off this team.

Mushtaq in 1980 is not a great loss since Qadir is there.

Then Sadiq and Asif in 1981. Tolerable again. Mudassar Nazar has come in by now and can replace Sadiq.

I think 1983 gives a very good Pakistani team. Imran, Miandad, Zaheer, Majid, Sarfaraz, Bari, Raja and Qasim are still there. Then you have a choice from Qadir, Saleem Malik, Mudassar Nazar to replace Asif, Mushtaq and Sadiq. I would pick a side from 1983 that has
1. Mudassar Nazar
2. Majid Khan
3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Javed Miandad
5. Salim Malik
6. Wasim raja
7. Imran Khan
8. Wasim Bari
9. Sarfaraz Nawaz
10. Iqbal Qasim
11. Abdul Qadir.

But I am not satisfied. Going beyond 85 takes away the great Zaheer Abbas and I cant think of a batsman to replace him till Inzy comes in many years later by which time we may have lost Majid too but gained the great Waqar and Wasim.
I dont think the team that you mentioned ever played together since Majid was never picked by Imran and Malik wasnt established yet and most of the time Imran prefered Qasim Omer over him.Then one fine day Qasim Omer decided to come up with a story that Imran and Javaid are involved in cocaine bussiness and that ended his promising career.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
I dont think the team that you mentioned ever played together since Majid was never picked by Imran and Malik wasnt established yet and most of the time Imran prefered Qasim Omer over him.Then one fine day Qasim Omer decided to come up with a story that Imran and Javaid are involved in cocaine bussiness and that ended his promising career.
You maybe right. I havent checked.

PS : Thats a very interesting story about Qasim Omer.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Here is a match that has ten of them. Only Raja is missing and Mohsin is in his place.

Xuhaib

International Coach
SJS said:
Here is a match that has ten of them. Only Raja is missing and Mohsin is in his place.
Thats a mighty fine side and Mohsin for Raja is not bad since Mohsin was no slouch either.

As for Qasim Omer he is a funny individual, he was more a less a permenent member of team but suddenly he came out with this outrageous story and that too against the two biggest names in Pakistan cricket at that time .I dont think any inquiry was launched against Imran or Javaid and he was straight away banned from international cricket for 8 years by BCCP and till this day he stands by his story.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Obviously Lee wasn't as good then as he is now, McGrath wasn't on top form during that series and so on, but as a straight-out list of players it is phenomenally good, and stands up decently against any team, ever.
Given that we are talking test cricket, Lee has never lived up to his initial promise. He actually had a good average back then (70 wickets @ 25 compared to his current tally of 210 @ 32).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
I dont think any inquiry was launched against Imran or Javaid and he was straight away banned from international cricket for 8 years by BCCP and till this day he stands by his story.

Although PCB not launching an enquiry doesnt mean anything. If it signified anything it could only be that they were scared of yet another scandal. They are famous for putting their heads deeper into the sand the messier the storm :)