• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket questions

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay, I confess to being far from knowledgeable about the game of cricket. Football is where I have expertise. While most of you seem to have been fans from a young age, I drifted in and out of watching the game from 97 onwards until Hurricane Harmison in 2004 (when I was 19). I've never even been to a match, though that is changing this summer :) . So there is a lot I don't know about the game and a lot I don't understand. Thing is, sometimes I've wanted to ask certain questions but have maybe been a little embarassed that I might get a whole lot of abuse for it being a silly question :mellow:

I would bet there are others who maybe don't understand little things that maybe they should. So i thought perhaps we could have a thread where people ask questions about the game for others to answer, whether dead simple, or more complicated. Of course, I might be exposed as a compelte moron when noone else bothers with this thread :)

But if there is anything you have always wondered or are wondering, then I think you should ask it here 8-)

My question is: why does the white ball behave differently to the red ball, and why are some bowlers better at using it than others?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
GeraintIsMyHero said:
My question is: why does the white ball behave differently to the red ball, and why are some bowlers better at using it than others?
Well i've heard one theory that because the white bit is put on top a normal red cricket ball, it changes the weight and physics of it, but i have no idea if that's true.

As for controlling the ball that could be down to a number of factors e.g. bowling under pressure knowing you could be hit out the ground, losing your line when being hit around etc.

pasag

RTDAS
Why do you have to knock a bat in and how do you do it? (having just bought a nice bat for the first time)

shankar

International Debutant
Autobahn said:
Well i've heard one theory that because the white bit is put on top a normal red cricket ball, it changes the weight and physics of it, but i have no idea if that's true.
More than the weight it's due to the lacquer on the white ball which alters the surface roughness of the ball - making it smoother than the leather surface of a red ball. This in turn affects how the layer of wiind close to the surface of ball behaves and causes it to swing more.

deeps

International 12th Man
pasag said:
Why do you have to knock a bat in and how do you do it? (having just bought a nice bat for the first time)
English willow is naturally very very soft. You need to compress it, to make it tougher. You also need to use some linseed oil to 'bind' the fibres together better, and give it a bit of 'flexibility' so that it doesn't crack.

That's the simple answer, i cbf writing out a long and detailed one, but if you google, you will find answers no doubt

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
pasag said:
Strengthens the bat face by compressing the willow together which protects the bat from the ball. Vital really.

You can knock in your bat using an old cricket ball (basically lightly hitting it over the bat face (and edges) and then increasing the velocity of the strikes over time), however the most efficient way to do it is buy a bat mallet. Costs something like $5 from a cricket store, and allows you to smash the crap out of the bat until its ready to go. :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Who's Willow and who's Stumpy?
They're cartoon characters designed by Sky for the purpose of patronising young children and non-cricket fans and reminding people why we kept cricket on terrestrial tv for so long.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
The 'breaking in' is done basically to increase the durability of the bat. It 'beats' the surface down a bit compressing the bat surface if you please. I am told the bats dont need it anymore but slight knocking with an old ball in a sock or with a ball at the end of a booden stick (the kind used to roll the blades on the handle) cant do any harm.

Bradman recommended rubbing the blade with rhe shin-bone of an ox as an alternative.

I remember an old Delhi cricketer who insisted that he always played with a new bat without any knocking in. All he would do was pour cold water down the back of the new bat before going in and it would serve the purpose. This is from the late nineties/early seventies and I never dared to experiment with this technique with my new bat though I found it intiguing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
Bradman recommended rubbing the blade with rhe shin-bone of an ox as an alternative.
Yeah, you can also use a basin/sink... which is pretty weird.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Try to get the one without the ball. They're both good, but the ball mallets obviously have a seam and when you're knocking the bat in early (when the willow is fairly soft) you can get lazy (since its a tedious task) and start hitting it with the seam on the bat. It'll create seam marks which aren't cool.

If you can get the normal bat mallet like this:

you'd be better off.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why does Chris Gayle look so cool, while Kaif looks like a child molestor on the loose?

If that Kaif demon-grin doesn't send chills down your spine....nothing will.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Why does Chris Gayle look so cool, while Kaif looks like a child molestor on the loose?

If that Kaif demon-grin doesn't send chills down your spine....nothing will.
Kaif ... after watching Russell Peters, I don't trust anyone from anywhere around Jamaica with children