• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket questions

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket is often considered to be a rather gentle pastime but it has a history of extreme violence. In its early days, before the modern rules had universal effect, batsmen could go to almost any lengths to avoid being out. They could obstruct the fielders and they could hit the ball as many times as necessary to preserve their wicket. This had fatal consequences on more than one occasion and, ultimately, strict rules were introduced to prevent the batsman from physically attacking the fielders.
:laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What was written on the scorecard the time Gooch used his hand to stop the wicket keeper making a catch?

I assume it comes under the same sort of thing?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
Handled the ball wasn't it?

I think he brushed it away to stop being bowled by Merv.
I've never seen it i just remember a commentator mentioning it in India, when Tendulkar hit the ball with his bat twice

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
steds said:
They're cartoon characters designed by Sky for the purpose of patronising young children and non-cricket fans and reminding people why we kept cricket on terrestrial tv for so long.
'kin brand new by the way.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Can someone tell me why cricket has traditionally been played with two innings per team?

It seems odd. One innings makes more sense dunnit?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, I confess to being far from knowledgeable about the game of cricket. Football is where I have expertise. While most of you seem to have been fans from a young age, I drifted in and out of watching the game from 97 onwards until Hurricane Harmison in 2004 (when I was 19). I've never even been to a match, though that is changing this summer :) . So there is a lot I don't know about the game and a lot I don't understand. Thing is, sometimes I've wanted to ask certain questions but have maybe been a little embarassed that I might get a whole lot of abuse for it being a silly question :mellow:

I would bet there are others who maybe don't understand little things that maybe they should. So i thought perhaps we could have a thread where people ask questions about the game for others to answer, whether dead simple, or more complicated. Of course, I might be exposed as a compelte moron when noone else bothers with this thread :)

But if there is anything you have always wondered or are wondering, then I think you should ask it here 8-)

My question is: why does the white ball behave differently to the red ball, and why are some bowlers better at using it than others?
He hasn't changed much, still knows **** all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why do batsmen get a free hit when the bowler oversteps by 3mm, but don't get one when they're fending off a cbest high full toss?