Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Should there be a mandatory sixth day in tests?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of draws where 20 or 30 overs have been lost and a result was within touching distance at the end (and that can even be as many as 4 or 5 wickets, or 100 or 120 runs).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! NUFAN's Avatar
    England should have declared as soon as Pietersen got out

Just joking - India very lucky, but that's test cricket I would hate an extra day to be added just to get a result.

I just don't get it - why not do everything possible to remove as much unfairness from the game as possible?

Sure, you can always say the team who was denied by the elements could have done more - but why should they have had to? It's exactly the same as Umpiring decisions - one Umpiring decision can totally change a match, but people will invariably call blaming an Umpiring decision (even 3 or 4) for a loss "making excuses".

It'd be perfectly possible to make almost every Umpiring decision correct (not absolutely every one, of course) and it'd be perfectly possible to stop the loss of overs ruining games of cricket. I don't see any good reason not to do either. And I think if it was done, in both cases, before long people would think "how on Earth did we cope in those old days? That was crazy and so unfair"

Request Your Custom Title Now! NUFAN's Avatar
    What happens if it the sixth day is completely washed out? Have a reserve day for the reserve day LOL.

Definately not a great option when there is back to back tests also.

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    No way, i LOVE test cricket, but even i would find 6 day tests a bit much. I definitely think we should allow for floodlights to be used if there's bad light though. Or at least a change to the bad light rules so we play until its really dark. Safely is not really a question with todays gear, and teams are more than happy to play in bad light when it suits them, so why not always?
    If its safe to play when you'te in with a chance of winning (England in Pakistan comes to mind) then its good enough no matter the match situation.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    What happens if it the sixth day is completely washed out? Have a reserve day for the reserve day LOL.

Definately not a great option when there is back to back tests also.
    It's OOTQ with back-to-back Tests, obviously. But I hate them ITFP - should never happen more than OIABM IMO.

It's not a case of 6 days, it's a case of playing until 450 overs are bowled. For that to take more than 6 (or 7 at absolute most) days is going to be an exceptionally rare occurrance and one that can be dealt with by whatever means neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
    No way, i LOVE test cricket, but even i would find 6 day tests a bit much. I definitely think we should allow for floodlights to be used if there's bad light though. Or at least a change to the bad light rules so we play until its really dark. Safely is not really a question with todays gear, and teams are more than happy to play in bad light when it suits them, so why not always?
    If its safe to play when you'te in with a chance of winning (England in Pakistan comes to mind) then its good enough no matter the match situation.
    Bad light's a different question entirely, really, and it's something that frustrates everyone, for any number of reasons. Floodlights should, obviously, always be used if available (and should be available far more often than they are) but with a red-ball they're often not good enough. The safety question is (rightly IMO) not the only important one, and what constitutes "really dark"?

Me, I'd just play with an orange ball when it got all that dark, switch the lights on, and then you'd never again have to worry about bad light stopping play. Because even with provision for no overs to be lost, no-one wants to see it. Rain, fair enough, you can't play in it. But bad light is much, much worse to see play being prevented.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information