• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should there be a mandatory sixth day in tests?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
Whats the difference between rain and lack of daylight? Both are weather effects that stop the game.
The daylight is an actual constant issue that affects every single game played in that country around that time.

Rain is not, it is just that rain has affected your team's chances once so you want an extra day.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
The daylight is an actual constant issue that affects every single game played in that country around that time.

Rain is not, it is just that rain has affected your team's chances once so you want an extra day.

Well, I am not going to deny that I initially wanted this idea because of the current match. That does not make the idea itself invalid, nor does it imply that "my" country is the only country that will benefit from the situation. India could very well be on the opposite end next time, but the idea would still stand.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Meaning that every schedule is then put back further and further so fewer games can be scheduled, and all because of a pointless extra day.
Why? Instead of five days between a test, have four days.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It wont be if you start the game early. I still dont understand why people start the game @ 10 am in Pakistan. Also why schedule games in November-December if you know the problem ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
luckyeddie said:
Only one of us wastes our time on fanciful 'pie in the sky' scenarios, in that case.

Well, who could that be, considering you spent almost as much time in this thread as I did.

C_C

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
When I first went to test matches (albeit 40 years or more ago) you used to get AT LEAST 100-105 overs in a full day, and even then people moaned about the halcyon days of 20 overs an hour.

Not that i am disagreeing with your post but i am wondering how is it possible to bowl 20 overs in an hour ? Thats an over every three minutes. Or one ball every 30 seconds. For that to happen, it has to be batsmen plodding around against spinners or batting on a monstrous wicket- you hit pinch three runs and its an entire minute gone by before the next ball is bowled. Do you think its possible to bowl 20 overs an hour today with the batsmen beating the leather off the ball ?

PS: I like the idea of six days but for different reasons: i would like 1 day scheduled in the middle as the rest day. Players today are already tired and you see them flag often near the end of a test- an off day in the middle would give players valuable time to recharge batteries and stave off injuries.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
It couldnt be madatory, in years gone by its gone from 3 days, to 4 days, and now its 5. We should leave it as it tis

Beleg

International Regular
It wont be if you start the game early. I still dont understand why people start the game @ 10 am in Pakistan. Also why schedule games in November-December if you know the problem ?
Most games in Pakistan during November-January are started at 9:30 now, I think.

Unfortunately, dew and fog mean that in most of the Punjab test centres, visibility just isn't good enough before 9:15-9:30.

April - September are just too hot, not only for the players but for the spectators as well. October is doable, but only in Punjab since it is usually the hottest time of the year (apart from April) in Karachi. Pakistan would like to play six tests during the home season and including all the ODI's and the tour matches, it is impossible to space them in three months (Jan-March/early April).

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
C_C said:
Not that i am disagreeing with your post but i am wondering how is it possible to bowl 20 overs in an hour ? Thats an over every three minutes. Or one ball every 30 seconds. For that to happen, it has to be batsmen plodding around against spinners or batting on a monstrous wicket- you hit pinch three runs and its an entire minute gone by before the next ball is bowled. Do you think its possible to bowl 20 overs an hour today with the batsmen beating the leather off the ball ?

PS: I like the idea of six days but for different reasons: i would like 1 day scheduled in the middle as the rest day. Players today are already tired and you see them flag often near the end of a test- an off day in the middle would give players valuable time to recharge batteries and stave off injuries.
it used to be that even 23-24 overs per hour was the norm.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would quite like to see more flexible scheduling.

Pakistan want 6-day tests with 5-hour days and I think its fair enough to try it.
Australian cricket has had 5-hour days for most of its history.

Does the long game need to have extremly long days of play?
I could imagine 6-day tests in England. 5 hours per day,2 sessions of 2½ hours. forget lunch.
Play could start as late as, say 2.30 to close at 7.30. The risk of bad light is acceptable because with shorter days more overs can be added to the following days.

why not experiment with even shorter days. 20/20 is a success because its short and played after work. Who says such cheduling wouldnt also attract fans who dont need a result on the day.

short days would also make it possible to really do something about the over rate.
It could be 7 "day" tests of 60 overs, played in 3 straight overs, beginning when people get off work

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
?? That would mean that a 90 over day would be over in four hours, or before tea.
Indeed.
Australian cricket was about 4½-5 hour days of 22-24 overs an hour.
look at old scores from cricinfo

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
People had a go at me because I suggested it when India were the ones getting screwed by rain. Now India are benefitting, and I still think its a good idea. :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, just read this thread for the first time, and I can't recall ever seeing an idea be so poorly understood by so many people.

The title is somewhat misleading I feel with the word "mandatory" in there - SS wasn't suggesting that we extend the length of the match to 540 overs.. he was simply suggesting that if any overs had been lost on days 1-5, they be bowled on a 6th day if neccessary. It's not that SS thinks 6 days is a better option than 5 days, but that he simply that he believes you should not just totally lose play during a test, never to be caught up, and have it end in a draw.

I really like it, personally. You'd know that there's be 450 overs or close to in every test - there'd be a greater consistency in the length of matches overs-wise (which is obviously much more relevant than how many days matches are played over, IMO) and unneccessary frustrations such as bad light and rain would be minimalised.