• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should there be a mandatory sixth day in tests?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
That happens all the time in the US during playoffs. In a seven game series, if one team goes 4-0, the three games are not played and the TV finds something else to play. Its not a big deal.
Yes, but that is cancelling games from a schedule, not adding in extra play.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
No way. More cricket = more coverage/tickets = more money. Economics would work in favor in this instance, not against. Even if one in five or seven tests went to the sixth day, I bet you'd cover and more.
No, because in order to cover for this extra "day" you would need to put other games back, meaning that less cricket can be scheduled in a tour, meaning less coverage and less money.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Yes, I am positive. England played Pakistan in the early winter, it really gets dark by 4:30-5:00 pm local time. i.e. daylight is shorter whereas they played India in the later part of the winter when the daylight is much better in the region. Also India is a much bigger country and hence not all the matches are scheduled in Mohali/Delhi in a particular tour. If you watch the Mohali test match that England Played in India in December 2002, England had to bat in Floodlights during.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_depth/cricket/2001/england_on_tour/1693673.stm
yes i remember this match, but its still more of a problem in Pakistan than in India because India don't always play test in Mohali & Delhi.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that in light of recent news about New Zealand cancelling A THIRD of their test matches (one - sorry, slipped into SUN mode for a moment there) to replace them with Twenty20 games, we can safely say that this will never happen.

Craig

World Traveller
If there were 5 overs left and there was 1 or 2 wickets left (and assuming they were rabbits withthe bat) wouldn't the fielding team have the option of an extra 8 overs to get the final wickets?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not on the final day no Craig - that's only to prevent everyone having to come back the next morning on a scheduled day.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Wouldn't it like be much harder to prepare a good wicket for 6 days.

Plus what happens if a team wants to use the ground for an FC match or something?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The idea isn't really all that different to the reserve day in ODI tournaments.

Interesting debate. Well done silentstriker, maybe it'll win you an award :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
But that's a different matter - that is more to do with the daylight hours available, and wouldn't actually add any extra time to a game, just spread it better.

Mind you, IIRC they started the days later than was necessary?

And what I'm proposing is different from that.......how?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Autobahn said:
Wouldn't it like be much harder to prepare a good wicket for 6 days.

Plus what happens if a team wants to use the ground for an FC match or something?

Same thing that happens if a team wants to use the ground for an FC match on the 5th day of the test right now...... 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And loads of supporters are going to turn up for a sixth day which could last only a few overs?
Um, if there are 25 overs left, and the team needs 180 runs to get...you don't think people will show up for some fireworks? Or if there are 15 overs left and a team needs two wickets? Why do boatloads of people show up for a 20/20 game?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
luckyeddie said:
I think that in light of recent news about New Zealand cancelling A THIRD of their test matches (one - sorry, slipped into SUN mode for a moment there) to replace them with Twenty20 games, we can safely say that this will never happen.

That's completely different from 'should it happen?'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
And what I'm proposing is different from that.......how?
Because you're talking about things like rain and slow over rates, not the lack of daylight.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
Huh? You schedule cricket for 6 days, and you CANCEL the play on the 6th day if necessary.
And therefore reduce the number of games significantly, for no real reason.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
Huh? You schedule cricket for 6 days, and you CANCEL the play on the 6th day if necessary.
It might work - if we were on Mars where the year is 686 Earth days in duration.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
And therefore reduce the number of games significantly, for no real reason.

I thought you wanted less cricket? IN any case, it wouldn't reduce it significantly. Its just an extra day. And since most of the time, it wouldn't be used, the cricketers wouldn't increase in actual playing days by all that much.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
Because you're talking about things like rain and slow over rates, not the lack of daylight.

Whats the difference between rain and lack of daylight? Both are weather effects that stop the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
I thought you wanted less cricket? IN any case, it wouldn't reduce it significantly. Its just an extra day.

Meaning that every schedule is then put back further and further so fewer games can be scheduled, and all because of a pointless extra day.