• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim or Waqar

Matt79

Global Moderator
If you could only have one, which would you have. The best response under 100 words will receive a wonderful prize. (not really)

In the context of selecting a best-ever XI, most times I'd go for Wasim as the leftie would provide some extra variety, but head to head?

howardj

International Coach
Akram.

They were both largely on a par in terms of what they could do with a cricket ball.

But, like you say Matt, Akram offers something different (his left-handedness).

Moreover, he could bowl off such a short run, and yet be as quick as anyone.

Therefore, I'd take him, as he could perhaps bowl longer spells.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I wonder whether Waqar ever took Symonds up on the offer to show him the best way to smuggle a Kookaburra Beast through Customs...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waqar. Wasim had a greater air of 'brilliance' about him but Waqar wanted to knock your freakin' teeth out. He even looks like a street brawler. He just had an incredible aggression about him in his demeanor and raw speed in the early days. He gave fast bowling its ***.

Wasim was Ritchie Cunningham, Waqar was the Fonze. Ayeeee.......

Fusion

Global Moderator
Wasim for me. Was a lefty and more versatile than Waqar. Had more in his arsenal and I believe bowled more intelligently. At their peaks, Waqar was more devastating. But since he so overwhelmingly relied on speed alone, he could not match Wasim in the long run.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Not to mention if we take batting into account, then Wasim becomes even more valuable then Waqar.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Not to mention if we take batting into account, then Wasim becomes even more valuable then Waqar.
Add His friendship with Salim Malik, He becomes invincible.

Wasim Any day. For me , Best bowler of all time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Waqar, he seemed more destructive than Wasim when on top form, his unbelievable yorker to Lara & his spells in the 2001 natwest series shows how destructive he can be.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim was a very good bowler. In fact I cannot deny he was excellent. However, Waqar is a good head and shoulders above him when they were in their prime.

Waqar in his pomp was like he was from another planet.

When you watched Wasim you thought "Hey, this guy is quality" but you still never thought he could be close to the best ever.

When you watched Waqar you thought "This guy is unbeleivable, Ive never seen anything like this before". For a period his strike rate was under 30 (stand to be corrected) and the most destructive bowler Ive seen.

This may sound harsh but Haynes was elevated to a higher level than he deserved because he partnered a superior player in Greenidge. I suspect the same is true with Wasim.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
although i cant remember alot of the two playing all the footage ive seen o me suggests that wasim was better although i it would be hard to choose wasim would get my vote