• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England V Ireland

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Apologies if this should be posted elsewhere - I didn't know whewther to put it in the SL thread or not

Anyhow, I see that Joyce made just 9 after opening with Trescothick

England 59-1 after 10 overs, certainly not looking like a walkover.

Not sure of the batting order but still to bat are:
Bell, Collingwood, Chapple, Plunkett, Jones, harmison, Mahmood, Loudon

I think Jones has dropped below Plunkett in the order, quite some fall from grace considering he was opening 18 months ago.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit generous the BBC calling it 'video' all I'm getting is stills basically. England 217-3 off 40 overs. Should make 310+ against this plodding bowling, but not many hitters to come in really.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hurrah, boundary in the 48th over, presumably after the fielder nodded off watching Bell bat.

Consecutive sixes, more like it.

Last edited:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
that was a totally unexpected performance by england, was expecting bell to go all out to get back into the test team.. but he played well but not quite good enough to earn himself a test recall..

anyway 300 up on board, lets see how harmisson actually bowls now..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just quickly flicked over to the Beeb's site. It shows Ireland 10/1 off 0.3 overs with all ten coming from wides!

Harmy bowling first over, natch. :p

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Encouraging from Trescothick, but as for the rest, most got starts but never got past 20, otherwise the Irish couldve really been butchered

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Uninspiring stuff all-round apparently. Cricinfo warns us that the first stage iof the WC will be this dull LOL

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure why Joyce is being tried as an opener now - how many will we go through?!

Interesting how certain people have to have a dig at Bell, even though he actually scored some runs...

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly can't understand why Joyce is opening and Strauss is at 3 when he's played his entire career below Strauss in the order. By all means blood new talent but just mixing everything up isn't constructive at all.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Jesus, why isn't anyone actually giving Ireland much-deserved credit for the way they played today? They showed the world that they can be competitve and the lower rung of nations can one day step up to the plate. I'm sure England would have a more facile victory over a Zimbabwe or a Bangladesh..

And Ireland were missing their two top players O'Brienn (covering for GO Jones) and Eoin Morgan (covering for Ed Joyce - the irony!) - but Ireland not only managed to bat out the 50 overs but score 260 odd.. And as for that CricInfo report - that's ********.. There have been far more boring ODI's and I believe Ireland gave England a good fight.. And the first stage of the WC promises a lot more.. With a little luck maybe even an upset! Who knows what would have happened with Morgan and O'Brien? Also if Joyce was maybe playing for Ireland instead :)

Sure, England didn't play that well but give the Irish credit, folks...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
James90 said:
I honestly can't understand why Joyce is opening and Strauss is at 3 when he's played his entire career below Strauss in the order. By all means blood new talent but just mixing everything up isn't constructive at all.
Strauss is significantly better at three or four in ODIs than he is as an opener. I think Fletcher has finally cottoned on to that.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played Ireland !!

Their highest scorer AC Botha Must be a South African playing for Ireland.

Last edited:

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ireland could have given it an almight shake if thier wicketkeeper and Eion Morgan were allowed to play, and Ed Joyce didnt pull a Judas and played for Ireland, which he should. Good effort from Ireland.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hero_Don said:
Ireland could have given it an almight shake if thier wicketkeeper and Eion Morgan were allowed to play, and Ed Joyce didnt pull a Judas and played for Ireland, which he should.
Why should he?

Given the choice between a potential Test and ODI career and the odd ODI here and there, I know which I'd take.