• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Sri Lanka

Langeveldt

Soutie
I also think Mahela keeping the captaincy might give Marvan a boost as far as his batting is concerned, just seems to be the kind of Hussain-esque player who gets affected by the captaincy.. And he's one of my fave players, so hope he's fit..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lostman said:
looks like galle wont be a venue for the series, i was hoping Muralis playground will be back in business. Last time he played South Africa there he got 13 wickets, he got all 11 batsmen out combined from both innings, Jayasuriya smashed a hundred (96 not out at the end of the 1st seesion, i think ) and Sl won by an innings.
During February, it looked a long way from a Test arena. They weren't playing FC cricket there at that stage. I think pretty much all the money that was raised for it (and there was quite a bit, I think Warne did a whole lot of stuff for the cricket ground) was diverted to more important and urgent needs.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Any news of Murali's personal issues that caused his early return from England?

SL really needs its Maradonna (Murali) !!

Hope all's well and he can participate in this series . If not SL will need to play both Bandara and Lokuaaratchchi in Tests.

If Marvan is fit I hope he can play. But he may need to return to his position at 5 or 6 . Mahela definitely has shown himself as an astute and capable Captain and needs to persevered with as Captain.

Given Sanath's rich form at the moment, SL selectors will have a tough choice keeping him out of the Test Team as well. But since Samaraweera was dropped from the last Test at Trent Bridge (due to poor form) and Sanath played there, they may opt to play the same Team from Trent Bridge with Bandara or Lokuaaratchi coming into the Team ahead of Maharoof. (or both if Murali is still not able to play due to illness in his family)

Last edited:

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
Any news of Murali's personal issues that caused his early return from England?

SL really needs its Maradonna (Murali) !!

Hope all's well and he can participate in this series . If not SL will need to play both Bandara and Lokuaaratchchi in Tests.

If Marvan is fit I hope he can play. But he may need to return to his position at 5 or 6 . Mahela definitely has shown himself as an astute and capable Captain and needs to persevered with as Captain.

Given Sanath's rich form at the moment, SL selectors will have a tough choice keeping him out of the Test Team as well. But since Samaraweera was dropped from the last Test at Trent Bridge (due to poor form) and Sanath played there, they may opt to play the same Team from Trent Bridge with Bandara or Lokuaaratchi coming into the Team ahead of Maharoof. (or both if Murali is still not able to play due to illness in his family)
if Murali is out then then I think Rangana Herath should get a chance ahead of Lokuarachi.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Murali is supposedly playing a charity 20/20 game today at the Oval against the touring Pakistan team. Brian Lara, Sachin, Dravid will also be featuring though the prospect of Pakistan fielding a team of any note looks highly unlikely considering all the injures they currently have.

The International XI line up- Rahul Dravid captian, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (keeper), Sachin Tendulkar, Muttiah Muralitheran, Brian Lara, Chris Cairns, Makhaya Nntini, Andrew Hall,Scott Styris, Azhar Mahmood, Mohammed Akram, Saqlain Mushtaq.

Got my ticket, hopefully it is going to be a fun evening.

Lostman

State Captain
dinu23 said:
why not? he gives a bit of variety in to the attack.
bandara and lokuarachi are much better bowlers than herath, plus they both can bat as well. As for the left arm variety Jayasuriya covers that (If he is selected to play that is) Also in test cricket SL are better off with 4 bowlers, so that 7 batsmen can be selected to strenghten the batting. Murali is good for about 35 overs a day, so that just leaves 3 other bowlers to send down the remaining 55.

Anyways the selections for the series are going to be really interesting. I do hope they stick with vandort as an opener and dont pick that flat track bully samaraweera. If he plays im sure he will make a painful hundred to keep himself in the side for the next 6 months.

Lostman

State Captain
my team for the 1st test would be:

Tharanga
Vandort
Attapatu (If Attapatu is still not fit, Jayasuriya for the middle order and sangakara for #3).
Jayawardena
Sangakkara
Dilshan
Kapugedera
Vaas
Bandara (againt SA, a 2nd spinner would be more important that a fast bowler)
Malinga
Murali

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith injured and out of the Series as well. Ashwell Prince will lead SA in the Test series. Prince becomes the First Coloured to Captain SA.

Not sure if Smith's injury weakens SA or strengthens them, given his poor form. But Kallis and Pollock will surely be missed .

All the more reason for SL to play Kapugedera. With regard to the spinners Bandara will definitely play, but given Lokuaaratchi is not a bad bat I would not be surprised if SL selectors choose to play three spinners.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I would have preffered if Polly actually captained, just don't see the point of geting Prince to do the captaincy..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
alternative said:
I would have preffered if Polly actually captained, just don't see the point of geting Prince to do the captaincy..
You really cant be that naive can you? A combination of skin colour and ANC activity in every aspect of life means that this decision was inevitable even if its a joke.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Given his obvious weakness against spin i can safely bet that Prince will loose his spot in the side after this series.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
You really cant be that naive can you? A combination of skin colour and ANC activity in every aspect of life means that this decision was inevitable even if its a joke.
If Jason is right about Kallis & Pollock missing, who is the outstanding candidiate that's been overlooked?