• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes: How many England regulars from last year will miss the trip Down Under?

How many England regulars from last year will miss the trip Down Under?

• Total voters

adharcric

International Coach
Last year's contest witnessed a strong England lineup.

Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Strauss
Michael Vaughan
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones
Ashley Giles
Simon Jones
Steve Harmison
Matthew Hoggard

So here's the question: how many of them won't figure in the regular XI this time around?
Remember, the reason could be fitness (an injury, or two, or ten ...) or performance (ie getting dropped).

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I could see Ian Bell and Simon Jones not being there.

It depends who they want as their reserve batsmen. Either Collingwood or Cook (or both) being the reserve batsmen, or one of them being swapped for Ian Bell. But to hell with it I will go Cook and Collingwood.

Obviously Simon Jones not being there because he spends more time injured then on a cricket field (you have to wonder if his body is hold together with tissue paper) and his current injury he is going through.

So I will vote 2.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Freddie, Jones, Harmison, Vaughan, Giles and Bell. :)

Even if all of them go, It wont be make a difference. Australia are going to win the Ashes.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Freddie, Jones, Harmison, Vaughan, Giles and Bell. :)

Even if all of them go, It wont be make a difference. Australia are going to win the Ashes.
Agreed ... and for once, I'll be supporting Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It doesn't matter if we take Ian Blackwell and Kabir Ali, the Ashes are staying at home

To answer the original question, I think all eleven will be in the touring party if fit, but could see Bell not seeing any action and fitness will decide the rest.

adharcric

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
It doesn't matter if we take Ian Blackwell and Kabir Ali, the Ashes are staying at home
You should try it then. I'm sure the Aussies would be delighted.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I would be supporting England . I expect all bar Simon Jones to make the trip down under.

If one or two do not make it would be because, better players were picked or their form has dipped. I expect Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick, Michael Vaughan, Andrew Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Gerraint Jones, Mathew Hoggard, Steve Harmison, Liam Plunkett, Monty Panesar and Ashley Giles to make it.

Other spots are still up for grabs - I would expect Shaun Udal to be a possibility if Giles does not make it. Saj Mahmood would definitely be picked, IMO .
James Anderson's form and fitness will determine if he gets picked. Owais Shah and Robert Key may be on the fringe of selection.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I think they'll all make it, but Bell won't play a Test.

E2a: I might have to review this after the latest on Jones, doesn't look good.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bell, Simon Jones, won't make it, Giles won't play regularly, and Freddie won't be fully fit and may miss some games...

I hope they all come. It will make smacking England down all the sweeter. ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It sucks that I was supporting Australia in the last ashes...and they lost. Now I support the England side....and they will lose.

Why can't I support the winning side for once?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simon Jones is almost certain not to make it and Bell probably not. Geriant Jones if he has another poor series with the bat may have to be dropped at long last. The rest of them should make it although question marks over Giles

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
It sucks that I was supporting Australia in the last ashes...and they lost. Now I support the England side....and they will lose.

Why can't I support the winning side for once?
L-O-S-E-R
Oh yeah, maybe you should stop supporting India too, so they can improve that poor record. :)

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
BoyBrumby said:
Well Jonah's definitely broken for the winter. From the beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/5051030.stm

Not a huge shock I suppose, but very, very disappointing. Prob our bowler who'd suit Oz conditions best (diff balls notwithstanding).
I'd say you are the only one in the world who calls Simon Jones 'Jonah'.

Code swapping happens all the time, but, injuries withstanding, I didn't think the English were that desperate.:laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
AndrewM said:
I'd say you are the only one in the world who calls Simon Jones 'Jonah'.

Code swapping happens all the time, but, injuries withstanding, I didn't think the English were that desperate.:laugh:
Code swapping?

The only alternative I know to cricket is French cricket - and then he would probably be called Le Joneur.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jones is out, his namesake could be out & Bell definately wont start baring injuries.