• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Sri Lanka in Netherlands thread

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka play 2 ODIs in Netherlands in July - here is the schedule -

Tue 4 1st ODI - Sri Lanka v Netherlands
VRA Ground, Amstelveen

Thu 6 2nd ODI - Sri Lanka v Netherlands
VRA Ground, Amstelveen

I feel it deserves its own thread because to not do so will be dishonouring (or humiliating) Netherlands (of which Holland is one province).

They were once our(SL's) Colonial Rulers before Britain (for 150 odd years before Britain chased them out and took over)as I sometimes point out to some of my friends of Dutch background . Remnants of Dutch heritage colour our cricket in a sense - such as the Dutch Fort near Galle (originally built by the Dutch IIRC) .

In cricketing terms we helped the Dutch in a few World cups by gifting some good players to represent Holland, the most famous of whom was Flavian Aponso (who played in the World Cup for Holland) . One of Sri Lanka's pre Test status Cricketers by the name of Tony Opatha actually coached Holland and some of their premier clubs for some years.

I hope the Dutch can create an upset and beat SL in one ODI even . I will cheer them if they do , because it will be great for their cricket. They have been in the World Cups several times and been a team on the Fringes of Test Cricket for a long time. I hope they will get Test status one day and I dream of the day when Cricket will be more popular than Football in Holland (may be that might never happen :laugh: )and their cricketers will be more famous than Ruud Hullitt , Patrick Kleivert , Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Edgar Davids , Phillip Cocu, Zenden, Ronald De Boer, Edwin Van Der Sar, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink etc. etc.*can think of any other dutch players names ATM *:laugh:

Anyway please discuss -

Last edited:

Autobahn

State 12th Man
JASON said:
They were once our(SL's) Colonial Rulers before Britain (for 150 odd years before Britain chased them out and took over)as I sometimes point out to some of my friends of Dutch background . Remnants of Dutch heritage colour our cricket in a sense - such as the Dutch Fort near Galle (originally built by the Dutch IIRC) .
Well the Portuguese and the dutch only had control over costal areas with the hilly areas remaining independent.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Galle is actually dutch yeah. players like Vandort, that has to be dutch herritage, funny to see.
I don't see Netherlands upset the Lankans, but good competative cricket would be awesome.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How popular is cricket in Netherlands ? I hope Netherlands does well though, I will be rooting for them. :)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
how popular, elite sport, very popular in the pakistani/indian/surinam society's. but I still reckon there are more Dutch players then other nationalities. we have about 6000 cricketers, which is pretty good, I think. youth cricket is getting bigger and bigger in holland, something very positive!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks Kweek. I remember Netherlands giving us (India) tough times in the 2003 WC, I hope they have improved since.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yup Van Bunge and De Leede doing the main damage!
van Bunge used to be my coach and trainer, now moved to another club(money eh) and De Leede is my trainer and captain of the 1st XI. very good bowler, very good batsman, and a very good trainer, you can learn a lot of him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I toured Holland about 10 years ago and was very impressed with the standard and the fact that we only played against 1 immigrant team. The rest were made up of local Dutch born players, which is always good to see.

I remember 1 game we played. There was a guy who had played for Holland (cannot remember his name) and we played on a big field with long grass. Something to do with being unable to cut it short due to wind errosion or something. Anyway, our guys were hitting beautiful cover drives for dot balls and this guy came out and knowing the ground conditions promptly pumped us for the biggest 6s Ive seen. He knew how to play on that field. Either defend or swing for the fences.

I was also impressed by the number of overseas pros out their playing and coaching.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
haha, long grass...sounds very familiar with my club! lowest scores were averagly made on our old ground(we just moved grounds this year)
what team where you playing for, and can you remember more of the time?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was back in '96. It was a University of Leeds team I organized. It was a mix of teams and as much a social tour as a quality cricket tour.

The game I mentioned above, there was a central pavilion that was huge. There was changing rooms and nice dining facilities with a bar. The central pavilion was surrounded by a cricket field, soccer fields and maybe a hockey field.

It was quite a nice set-up and the hospitality was great. The guys bought us a lot of beer and food before we headed back to Amsterdam to complete the revelry.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
At the club we play at we have a two guys who were born in SL, Pietersz and De Kretser, who I think *might* have some Dutch background ;)

Craig

World Traveller
How did Tarrick become Holland's *future* cricket superstar? What attracted you to the sport given that cycling and football being the two most prominent sports?

At least they make a good beer (and so do the Belgians :p)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Kweek said:
Galle is actually dutch yeah. players like Vandort, that has to be dutch herritage, funny to see.
I don't see Netherlands upset the Lankans, but good competative cricket would be awesome.
Vandort I am certain has Dutch ancestry -possibly 4- 6 generations ago.

But most Sri Lankans who have Dutch names or for that matter English or Portugese names have no blood lines to those ancestry , but merely Sri Lankans whose fore fathers adopted those names because they fancied those names . In that period of time ( 200-300 years ago ) lot of Sri Lankans had no knowledge of names (through lack of education) or were not smart enough to pick names for their children , so they would ask the local Village or Govt official to pick a name for their new born and enter it on the birth certificate then. The local official not surprisingly would enter names like De Silva , De Soyza etc (Portugese origin names) or Van Geyzel , Van Rooyen etc. or even Waas , Vaz ( which are Dutch origin IIRC) or even English names ( ie Edwards, Moses, Peters, James , Arnold etc. etc..).

So thats how most lankans with names foreign to them came to be , not by blood links to Portugese, Dutch or English , but more by adoption of English names intentionally or by chance !!:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW Kweek, when these ODIs are being played (July) , the World Cup (Football) would be getting towards the scond round stage and therefore do you think anyone in Holland will care or bother about these ODIs at that stage ? :)

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
Vandort I am certain has Dutch ancestry -possibly 4- 6 generations ago.

But most Sri Lankans who have Dutch names or for that matter English or Portugese names have no blood lines to those ancestry , but merely Sri Lankans whose fore fathers adopted those names because they fancied those names . In that period of time ( 200-300 years ago ) lot of Sri Lankans had no knowledge of names (through lack of education) or were not smart enough to pick names for their children , so they would ask the local Village or Govt official to pick a name for their new born and enter it on the birth certificate then. The local official not surprisingly would enter names like De Silva , De Soyza etc (Portugese origin names) or Van Geyzel , Van Rooyen etc. or even Waas , Vaz ( which are Dutch origin IIRC) or even English names ( ie Edwards, Moses, Peters, James , Arnold etc. etc..).

So thats how most lankans with names foreign to them came to be , not by blood links to Portugese, Dutch or English , but more by adoption of English names intentionally or by chance !!:laugh:
Ah right I always thought Russel Arnold had ancestory back to English missionairies (SP0, but I guess that explains it.

Steulen

International Regular
Jason,

There are actually two provinces of The Netherlands called Holland: North-Holland (which has Amsterdam, though surprisingly it's not its capital) and South-Holland, where Rotterdam is (and no, Rotterdam is not its capital either). As I'm from somehwere else completely, I always make a point of referring to my country as The Netherlands (unless I can't be bothered at the time).

As for the football, our team will be long home by then as its semi-final time.

As for the cricket, I'm actually quietly hopeful of at least one very close match. The bad thing is the VRA wicket tends to hugely favour spin so this can only come about if Murali decides to have a coffee instead, ifunowhammasayin.

I'll probably go to the Thursday match.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
How did Tarrick become Holland's *future* cricket superstar? What attracted you to the sport given that cycling and football being the two most prominent sports?

At least they make a good beer (and so do the Belgians :p)
me future cricket star? ha! that be funny. im oke at it, and play some holland youth stuff. thats it!
what attracted me to the sport, family lines, thats how it goes overhere, my brother was in primary school(before I was born) and people came over to the school, and invited the kids over. my brother played cricket for 4 years, then stopped for a bit. at one point when I was 8, I gave up swimming and other stupid sports, and my bro said go play cricket..so i did...and now I love it :D
and in the summer im almost everyday to be found around the field, training or playing matches with whatever team, in whatever competition :')
my bro restarted too, hard hitting batsman...hockey player eh :P

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
Jason to predict Netherlands winning the series 2-0.
As a Cricket fan and a fan of Netherlands, I would love it if they did win it 2-0 .

But its likely to be 1-1 .:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Steulen said:
Jason,

There are actually two provinces of The Netherlands called Holland: North-Holland (which has Amsterdam, though surprisingly it's not its capital) and South-Holland, where Rotterdam is (and no, Rotterdam is not its capital either). As I'm from somehwere else completely, I always make a point of referring to my country as The Netherlands (unless I can't be bothered at the time).

As for the football, our team will be long home by then as its semi-final time.
You have no faith in your Team getting that far ? I am disappointed. I like Netherlands and will be cheering them as my second Team after England at the World Cup. :)

Any way thanks for clarifying re- 2 provinces called Holland .