• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Sri Lanka in Netherlands thread

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
well me being born in South Holland(The Hague) I usually say im from Holland, but as foreigners think you got Holland-The Netherlands and Amsterdam, I just say all 3 of them normally....some people really think Amsterdam is a country on itself :')

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
Vandort I am certain has Dutch ancestry -possibly 4- 6 generations ago.

But most Sri Lankans who have Dutch names or for that matter English or Portugese names have no blood lines to those ancestry , but merely Sri Lankans whose fore fathers adopted those names because they fancied those names . In that period of time ( 200-300 years ago ) lot of Sri Lankans had no knowledge of names (through lack of education) or were not smart enough to pick names for their children , so they would ask the local Village or Govt official to pick a name for their new born and enter it on the birth certificate then. The local official not surprisingly would enter names like De Silva , De Soyza etc (Portugese origin names) or Van Geyzel , Van Rooyen etc. or even Waas , Vaz ( which are Dutch origin IIRC) or even English names ( ie Edwards, Moses, Peters, James , Arnold etc. etc..).

So thats how most lankans with names foreign to them came to be , not by blood links to Portugese, Dutch or English , but more by adoption of English names intentionally or by chance !!:laugh:
and I thought I had Dutch ancestors, damn it!

dinu23

International Debutant
Kweek said:
well me being born in South Holland(The Hague) I usually say im from Holland, but as foreigners think you got Holland-The Netherlands and Amsterdam, I just say all 3 of them normally....some people really think Amsterdam is a country on itself :')
I hear Amsterdam is an interesting place. :renske:

Steulen

International Regular
Kweek said:
I've heard them all.

Most common mistake, especially made by the Stoopids across the Big Pond, is to get The Netherlands and Denmark mixed up ("You're Dutch? I've been to Copenhagen!" etc.)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
those ones are actually really funny :D :laugh: and I just say cool....I didnt know Copenhagen is in The Netherlands!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Kweek said:
those ones are actually really funny :D :laugh: and I just say cool....I didnt know Copenhagen is in The Netherlands!
:lol: There's also Norway, capital of Sweden...

Netherlands A playing Denmark now, the match may be decisive for selection in the series. Bit of a shocking performance by the Dutch so far, van Nierop (wimp) retired hurt for 1, Szwarczynski caught behind for 20, Thomas Munkholt Hansen 7-1-14-3. Atse Buurman rebuilding with Victor Grandia at the moment, partnership worth 31 as Denmark's change bowlers couldn't quite keep up the pressure. 98/5 (27 overs).

There's also a CJ Smith in the Dutch line-up, but I'm struggling to figure out who he is. Could be the Bermudan Clay or the the Scot Colin, but why on earth would they play for Netherlands A?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Klokker 99* as Denmark look to cruise to victory (182-2 in the 41st over chasing 204) after a polished performance. Buurman the only one of the Dutch players to turn up, making 75.

Meanwhile, Ryan ten Doeschate is beating the Sri Lankans. Shame he might not play in the ODIs...

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yup shame.
Buurman had a fantastic knock! I hear. the pitch was a real batting track, and Van Nierop tore someting apart. could be out for a bit.
tomorrows match will be interesting as Klokker's in form. but I think that Holland will win it, strong team tomorrow, and if Buurman is looking that good batting, could be a good win.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
:lol: There's also Norway, capital of Sweden...

Netherlands A playing Denmark now, the match may be decisive for selection in the series. Bit of a shocking performance by the Dutch so far, van Nierop (wimp) retired hurt for 1, Szwarczynski caught behind for 20, Thomas Munkholt Hansen 7-1-14-3. Atse Buurman rebuilding with Victor Grandia at the moment, partnership worth 31 as Denmark's change bowlers couldn't quite keep up the pressure. 98/5 (27 overs).

There's also a CJ Smith in the Dutch line-up, but I'm struggling to figure out who he is. Could be the Bermudan Clay or the the Scot Colin, but why on earth would they play for Netherlands A?
Wouldn't be too many Poles playing international cricket (if Poland have a team then that negates my point?) would there?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Its Chris Smith, i think the guy used to play Grade Cricket in Australia, back in his lay day.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking forward to Netherlands game against Serbia and Montenegro tonight !!:)

Come on Holland *oops netherlands *:laugh: . ( Possibly the last World Cup for these 2 together - given recent Montenegran vote to separate from Serbia - thus completing the Break up of Former Yugoslavia)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Looking forward to Netherlands game against Serbia and Montenegro tonight !!:)

Come on Holland *oops netherlands *:laugh: . ( Possibly the last World Cup for these 2 together - given recent Montenegran vote to separate from Serbia - thus completing the Break up of Former Yugoslavia)
You still have Bosina and Hetsawhatever to go :p

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
JASON said:
Bosnia is a separate country !! :mellow:
Yes, but actually called Bosnia and Herzegovina - so in theory Herzegovina could split off. However, that name is apparently for more historic reasons.

Steulen

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yes, but actually called Bosnia and Herzegovina - so in theory Herzegovina could split off. However, that name is apparently for more historic reasons.
There's also Republika Srpska, which is a de facto independent Serbian part of Bosnia; there's the Krajina within Serbia, and there's wossname, that other part of Serbia which is dominated by Albanians. It's far from over.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Steulen said:
There's also Republika Srpska, which is a de facto independent Serbian part of Bosnia; there's the Krajina within Serbia, and there's wossname, that other part of Serbia which is dominated by Albanians. It's far from over.
Kosovo.

On a brighter note, the Netherlands appear to have stumbled over an opening batsman. Go Szwarczynski. And woe betide the cricketing commentators who now face the same problems as their footballing colleagues have struggled over since 1973 (i.e. the pronunciation of Polish names). :)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
heck even van bunge was a problem for them!
Szwarczynski is pronnounced swasserwinski