• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India v West Indies Tests & ODIs

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It all depends on Hooper, Chanderpaul and Sarwan. If they click, this test is likely to be a high scoring draw. On the other hand, if this currently benign pitch breaks up and Harb and Kumble have a field day, India will be in the driver's seat as the Windies will then have to bat last on a crumbling pitch.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
there you go

Dillon's holding the WI innings together!

They should bring bak Srinath at this stage. He'll be effective against Chanderpaul when the leftie's new at the crease... and ofcourse there's Dillon :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Strange that Chanderpaul, the only top order batsman not to cash in during the tour match, top scores! And when will Sarwan actually wake up? Please let him score a century sometime, its getting frustrating!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems like an abundance of "Oh Dear"s in the 2 test threads...

Oh Dear :saint:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Zaheer seems to be coming of age(I am touching a lot of wood). Now, lets see what messrs Kumble and Harb can do to finish this off quickly.

We should expect some resistance from Hooper and Chanderpaul, but if they last till the fifth day and somehow escape with a draw, it will be a minor variety of the Eden Gardens miracle and if they put up a decent target and India crumble chasing in the 4th innings(God forbid!), it will be Eden Gardens II(or Headingley III). Guys, I am not really that much of a pessimist, just looking at the worst case scenario.

masterblaster

International Captain
well 5 wickets have fallen in 45 mins for the West Indies

West Indies Following On are 124/6 at the moment. With todays whole day and tommorows whole day to go. Chanderpaul and Nagamootoo are batting with Dillon, Collins and Cuffy to come. Harbhajan with 3/35 and Kumble with 3/14, brilliant stuff. Kumble was on a hat trick also.

Windies trail by 176 runs to make India bat again

India have got this in the bag

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
All Over Harbajan 7 wickets , india win by 101 runs around , great piece of all round work by them , sehwag m.o.m , great work by p.patel on keeping against some real good turners and bounce

more to be posted later

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Great show from the Indian team.This is India's first innings victory over WI.

These guys are hard to beat at home when they are down, and this time WI ran into an Indian team at home which is one of the most confident lot in recent times.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wasn't as convincing as the Aussies though, was it? ;)

Still, you can only beat what's in front of you and that was just about as comfortable as India could have hoped for. One down, Two to go for my prediction to come out right then...

When do India next tour Australia?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Originally posted by Neil Pickup

Still, you can only beat what's in front of you and that was just about as comfortable as India could have hoped for. One down, Two to go for my prediction to come out right then...

December 2003 - could be one to watch

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by luckyeddie
Originally posted by Neil Pickup

December 2003 - could be one to watch
If the same pace attack(McGrath, Gillespie and either Bichel or Lee) is there in Dec 2003, India's chances look very dim. If we get a couple of exceptional pacers to support Khan by then, we stand a fighting chance. Otherwise, it could be a repeat of the last series.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Does the team for the seond team change ? It should change, I think a couple of new bowlers could have a go here, home ground, not a lot of pressure coming into the test, accustomed conditions. Would be the perfect time to introduce a quicky, if India have one that is...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Gotchya
Does the team for the seond team change ? It should change, I think a couple of new bowlers could have a go here, home ground, not a lot of pressure coming into the test, accustomed conditions. Would be the perfect time to introduce a quicky, if India have one that is...
They probably won't change a winning team and no, I don't think there is any uncut diamond of a pace bowler waiting in the wings as yet. The only thing that provides a salve to the wounds inflicted abroad are the victories at home and they traditionally don't take risks with that.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by anilramavarma
...I don't think there is any uncut diamond of a pace bowler waiting in the wings as yet.
There is one Irfan Pathan of Baroda showing a lot of promise.He did well in the U-19 world cup and may come good in a couple of years.But as of now, Nehra and Youhanan are the only ones who can be tried off and on and given some scope to improve.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by aussie_beater
Originally posted by anilramavarma
...I don't think there is any uncut diamond of a pace bowler waiting in the wings as yet.
There is one Irfan Pathan of Baroda showing a lot of promise.He did well in the U-19 world cup and may come good in a couple of years.But as of now, Nehra and Youhanan are the only ones who can be tried off and on and given some scope to improve.
That's what I said. No one to be tried as early as the second test against Windies, in fact no one to be tried as early as the WC.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
India vs WI a decade and half back..

Wisden cricket monthly sent me this 'freebie'..
A test between India and WI in Chennai several years ago.. I think it was in this test that Venkatraghavan was getting the ball to hit batsmen's chest! And the WI bowlers could hardly resist..

It's 14 years since West Indies played a Test in Chennai, formerly called Madras. In a new series, Wisden.com looks back on some memorable matches the two sides played in India.
Fourth Test, Madras, 1978-79
India won by three wickets

On a fast, bouncy pitch at Chepauk in Madras, India went into a Test, for the first time in 12 years, without Bedi, Chandrasekhar or Erapalli Prasanna, their three great wicket-takers of the previous decade. There was, however, a young fast-bowling allrounder named Kapil Dev in the team.

Alvin Kallicharran won the toss and elected to bat, a decision that backfired, as Kapil reduced West Indies to 55 for 4 with some accurate and hostile swing bowling. Kallicharran then dug in, and with a tenacious 98, lifted his team to 228.

Sunil Gavaskar, who had made 567 runs in his last three Tests, was out early as the first day came to a close. On the second, Gundappa Viswanath batted five-and-a-half hours to make 124, as the West Indians unleashed what Wisden described as “a bumper war”. The pace trio of Sylvester Clarke, Norbert Phillip and Vanburn Holder bounced the tail out with some shockingly intimidatory bowling as India hobbled to 255.

And then, in the words of Wisden again, “the Indians gave as good as they got”. Along with new-ball partner Karsan Ghavri, Kapil blasted through the West Indians, and Venkataraghavan picked up four wickets. West Indies reached 151, largely due to a counter-attacking 91 by Larry Gomes.

India, needing 125 to win, were 17 for 3 and then 82 for 5. But Kapil smashed a quick 26 not out to finish things off. He had taken seven wickets in the match, Ghavri had taken four. It was the first time in over 55 years of Indian Test cricket that the majority of the wickets in an Indian Test win was taken by the pace bowlers. A new era had begun.

© Copyright Wisden Online Limited. "Wisden" trademark is used under licence from John Wisden & Co Limited.