• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overs Umpired in one day

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well, this Sunday I'll be standing for one Twenty20 Under-12 match, and three sixteen-over-a-side Under-11 pairs games.

Total = 40 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 136 overs. 816+ balls.

Has there ever been a longer day?!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Well, this Sunday I'll be standing for one Twenty20 Under-12 match, and three sixteen-over-a-side Under-11 pairs games.

Is it possible to bowl 136 overs in one day ? It will require 11+ hours, add 10 minutes break between each innings and it makes close to 12-13 hours. What time do you guys start, 6-7 am ?

Hope you get paid overtime for that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I heard the man who umpired from your end whilst you were bowling had a longer day.. Unfortunatly the batsman died of malnutrition before being bowled..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sanz said:
Is it possible to bowl 136 overs in one day ? It will require 11+ hours, add 10 minutes break between each innings and it makes close to 12-13 hours. What time do you guys start, 6-7 am ?

Hope you get paid overtime for that.
We'll be starting at 10am, and probably end about 7.30/8pm... and I won't get paid at all. There is no money in grassroots cricket for that!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I heard the man who umpired from your end whilst you were bowling had a longer day.. Unfortunatly the batsman died of malnutrition before being bowled..
Is that your excuse for that googly, now?

Actually, you doing anything on that Sunday? Fancy doing some photography?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Longest I have done is a 60 over-a-side game.

Probably less tiring on the arms than a number of big hitting low overs games.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Is it possible to bowl 136 overs in one day ? It will require 11+ hours, add 10 minutes break between each innings and it makes close to 12-13 hours.
??
Thats 12 overs per hr! At test level they are supposed to bowl 15 per hr and at any other level there is no excuse for not bowling 17.5.

For Juniors, they should bowl 20 overs per hour minimum.
These are not my figures but general guidelines on how the game should be played.

A quality mens team, with fast bowlers off long runs, should be able to bowl a 60 over innings in 3.5 hours.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Is that your excuse for that googly, now?

Actually, you doing anything on that Sunday? Fancy doing some photography?
I've already had a 50 pound offer I'm afraid, if you can top that, then I'm your photographer for the day :)

Will gladly do midweek stuff if that ever crops up because I don't work then..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I've already had a 50 pound offer I'm afraid, if you can top that, then I'm your photographer for the day :)
Oh common !! Neil needs a new avtaar.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

back in the day over 150 overs was normal in FC cricket

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sanz said:
Oh common !! Neil needs a new avtaar.
I'm really tempted, it will definitely be more fun than a football tournament in Banbury, but fading on my employer would be pretty bad news considering not many people are in the job of their dreams aged 19.. Hopefully the photography van will break down and I can go to Exeter after all..

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well it was pretty crazy back in the 1890's

In one game Arthur Mold and Alex Watson were not out over night in a tenth wicket stand with the score at 327/9. in the morning they took the score to 356 before Mold was out. When Sussex batted Mold and Watson opened the bowling and skittled Sussex out for 105 in 47.1 overs, with Mold taking 7-72 from 24 and Watson 3-29 from 23.1. After the break for innings, Sussex followed on and were bowled out for 126 in 58.3 overs, Mold took 7-87 from 29.3 and Watson 1-38 from 29.

No 5 man attacks needed in those days

Craig

World Traveller
Believe they were because I have read about FC games in India and Pakistan were some bowlers have done close to or over 90 overs in an innings!

Somebody buy them a coke.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I seem to recall reading in Cricket's Strangest Matches that Oxford and Cambridge Universities once played a twenty-four hour game for charity. Don't know if the same umpires were present the whole time though.