• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off-Season Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jon Moss officially moved back to Sydney over the weekend. He signed with Balmain in the grade comp. No news yet whether NSW will offer him a contract though.

brockley

International Captain
Charminda do you know what club vusil sibanda has signed for,he would be a useful replacement player if jaques gets picked,even in the one dayers.
Peter darwen playing his 2nd season for middlsex 2nd xl wonder if he is trying to qualify for england by his stints there,i guess he could always marry an english lass to speed things up.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt Sibanda would be good enough for Australian domestic cricket, considering Ervine can't make the cut. Got no idea what side he signed for, but he would be doing well IMO if he kept a 1st grade spot all season.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vusi Sibandi was playing Grade Cricket in Syndey wasn't he? I thought that was the reason he missed some of Zimbabwe's games as of late.

brockley

International Captain
I think he played for strathfield 2nd division sydney grade,not actually sydney grade,he had a good season apparently.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Vusi Sibandi was playing Grade Cricket in Syndey wasn't he? I thought that was the reason he missed some of Zimbabwe's games as of late.
I think he played for strathfield 2nd division sydney grade,not actually sydney grade,he had a good season apparently.
He played Sydney Shires, the level below Grade, due to the limitations in overseas players and well the reluctancy it seems to sign non South Africa, England, Kiwi players alot of players from Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and the minnows play in this comp first before getting a Grade contract. Its basically a shop window for Grade cricket, a lot of guys walk into 1st and 2nd XI sides from Shires, so it is fairly high standard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I doubt Sibanda would be good enough for Australian domestic cricket, considering Ervine can't make the cut. Got no idea what side he signed for, but he would be doing well IMO if he kept a 1st grade spot all season.
Sibanda has improved infinitely as a batsman of late. Would be better than Ervine as a batsman alone now IMO.

sideshowtim

Banned
Australian state cricket is about producing fine cricketers for the national team, our ultimate aim is not to try and win the State Championship with the best international players who are willing to play. I like it that way. Sibanda won't get a sniff.

brockley

International Captain
Wow the vics cut arnberger and moss loose,must be going for a young side.
So moss wasn't even offered a contract.
No suprise of hastings and wade coming,see lyndsay cut too.
Will be an interesting transfer pool,dunno if the states will have any money left after the first round offers to sign players.
Moss not to get a nsw contract,but betya he will play in the ing cup for them,face it thornley's bowling stinks,i guess christian will miss out.
Rohrer and forrest to be offered contracts,which means we will have a lot of middle order batsmen and few openers,unless we cut people like creed,o'brien and christian.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure that Lindsay didn't actually have a contract last year, at least at the start of the season. He may well have earnt one by playing enough games during the year to get contracted.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sibanda played for Strathfield firsts in shires last year, i haven't heard if hes still around or not. He would have to do really well to get a sniff for NSW - but you never know.

brockley

International Captain
Maybe but victoria seem to have gone to a fresh view by picking hastings and cutting moss and lyndsay,nevill cut too.

I heard a lot of clubs were chasing sibanda for next season.
He is in and out of australia.
He played the cricket mosalla tournament for africa recently,held in sydney,africa won.
He flies back reguarlarly between australia and zimbabwe.
See cricket australia has offered to tutor zimbabwe players recently.Altho see the zcu banning australia as well as they have the UK.

He didn't play in the asia africa series last night which was a surprise,maybe he will play the next game considering africa's batsmen did so bad.
I expect him to be here october whether he is playing grade or shire cricket.
A lot will depends on the runs he gets if he plays for NSW,but only see him making the one day side,don't expect him to get a NSW contract like moss will miss out.

brockley

International Captain
Interesting state contrats the first round today,some interesting names are missing,btw ryan leroud did not sign for NSW.
Those missing contracts
scott meulman
lachlan stevens
jason arnberger
daniel christian
murray creed
brendon nash
james packman
peter worthington
jon moss
xavier doherty
grant roden
andrew downtown
tim lang.

These are first tier contracts not rookie contracts dunno which rookies lost their contracts,apart from a few.
May well see some of these players turn out for another state next year,contract or no contract.