• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which famous cricketers have you played cricket with/against?

smash84

The Tiger King
you don't belong in this thread then....create a new thread for "nearly played with or against a famous cricketer"

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I appreciate this doesn't fit in with the criteria of the OP anyway, but I did once play Wayne Larkins at bar billiards

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Played with: Mark Richardson, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Stephen Mather, Evan Marshall

Against: Aaron Gale, James McMillan, bowled to Saleem Elahi in the nets (and bowled alongside Saqlain Mushtaq in that net session).
Steve Mather played a season at my Club in England in the late 90s. A few years earlier a more notable Kiwi, Glen Jonas (think he nearly got an ODI cap) did, and before that an Aussie, Martin Heywood - who played for NSW when Slater, Taylor and/or a couple of Waughs' were away at the Test, so quite a bit.

Never played with the first two but did with Bam Bam Heywood - a mighty striker of a ball (and Champion drinker of Kronenberg).

Also played against Warren Ayres (sp) who opened the batting for South Aus for some years (that was fun - deliveries that the other bastman (a pretty good Club player) kept out or pushed to cover this chap smashed towards the road .

Played against a chap called Joe Grant who opened the bowling for Jamaica then moved to England, got his passport after a few years then played a bit for Essex when he was well into his 30s. This game was when he was young and keen.I bowled at him but wasn't needed with the bat - I was quite happy with that.

I've umpired quite a few ex County players over time: Mark Crawley (John's brother), Duncan Pauline who got some good runs for Surrey in the day (gave him lbw on 99 as he put in a big stretch for a sweep shot - it was plumb, and he agreed), Tim Bloomfield (60 FC games for Middlesex - a back up for Angus Fraser for a time), Paul Prichard of Essex and a few rather less known including, very recently, Chris Bullen who was on the Surrey staff for some years and played now and then. I should, very soon, umpire Shaun Udal and could easily 'do' Mark Wagh (ex Warwicks) and Mark Ealham this summer.

Someone who was at my old Club many years ago told a good story. His previous Club played a fixture against a touring Club team from the West Indies - this would have been in the mid 80s. He said it was a nice match which included an impreesive innings of 20 or so from a kid about 16 years old who my friend bowled out. Not many years later they're watching a match (Test or ODI) at their Club when one of his team mates observes "Oi Chris, that chap batting, isn't he the kid you bowled that time?"

Indeed it was.

B.C.Lara.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
1. L. Ball
2. A. McQualter
3. M. Murphy
4. S. Hurn
5. M. Drum
6. B. Goddard
7. Need a wicketkeeper
8. B. Deledio
9. T. Cloke
10. J. Watson
11. N. Smith
I'm assuming from morgie's post these are AFL players, so I'm curious as to whether you reckon any of them might have made good cricketers.

TNT

Banned
Played against Peter Borren last year when touring Holland, I even had a batting partnership with my son and Borren was bowling.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm assuming from morgie's post these are AFL players, so I'm curious as to whether you reckon any of them might have made good cricketers.
I'd probably go with Luke Ball because he was mentally as good an athlete and as driven as anyone I've seen.

Delidio, Murphy probably a fair chance of playing FC cricket. Most of them all did/could/would have played Grade cricket in Australia.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jack, I realise there's a lot of blokes on your list in varying disciplines, but who really stood out to you - either Australian or those you played against? And did any of those who you played against who have kicked on surprised you at having done so?

ajdude

International Coach
I'd probably go with Luke Ball because he was mentally as good an athlete and as driven as anyone I've seen.

Delidio, Murphy probably a fair chance of playing FC cricket. Most of them all did/could/would have played Grade cricket in Australia.
Bartel also wasn't a bad batsman either, played grade in Geelong iirc over the summer

or my memory may deceive me

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bartel also wasn't a bad batsman either, played grade in Geelong iirc over the summer

or my memory may deceive me
Yeah, was a few years older than me, a couple of mates played Vic U/17 with him. Only kid who played for Geelong Falcons U/18 TAC side who was allowed to play cricket, after his mum marched in and told the Falcons coach that he plays both football and cricket, and that's how it is.

Still runs out for his local side.

EDIT: Burgey, need to have a think.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It will be interesting how the career of Alex Keath turns out. One of the few wins from the AFL system.

ajdude

International Coach
Yeah, was a few years older than me, a couple of mates played Vic U/17 with him. Only kid who played for Geelong Falcons U/18 TAC side who was allowed to play cricket, after his mum marched in and told the Falcons coach that he plays both football and cricket, and that's how it is.

Still runs out for his local side.

EDIT: Burgey, need to have a think.
Trying to think of others who did alright at cricket before AFL, Coniglio comes to mind, not sure how well he played but apparently was alright, Bernie Vince had that whole thing at the start of the season about playing/not playing in his club's grand final but again not sure how good he is/was.

Then thinking of the other way around (not necessarily AFL, just football), Wade played for the Tassie Devils iirc and Brady Jones turned out for Tasmania v Victoria the other week.

Actually I just realised this isn't the "who had promising football/cricket careers before becoming a professional cricketer/footballer" thread, my bad haha :P

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
With
Mark bailey Mark Bailey | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
Larry Gomes

Against
Salim Jaffer

Some Indian chap who played for WI twice - I think this guy Suruj Ragoonath | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
Scott Styris when he was 13

have bowled to one of the firebirds who used to play for upper hutt name escapes me one of the parlanes perhaps in the nets. The guy annihilated my tidy off spin bowling. There was nothing wrong with each delivery's line and length. Simply not enough loop and turn to make him respect me. Every ball went for four or six.

Mark Bailey was the captain of my high school team. He took me aside once and told me I wasn't seeing the ball early enough. Yeah I'll get right on that mark as soon as you tell me how to see it earlier.