• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which famous cricketers have you played cricket with/against?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
What level did you plat at Goughy?
Not that high really, never did myself justice due to bad attitude and injuries.
Anyway, a breif and unimpressive list.

-County U19s
-A County for a short while but never played a FC game
-Semi-pro in any number of teams and leagues. Changed clubs every year depending on the money (plus I usually had had a falling out with the chairman by that time)
- University 1st XI at 2 Unis
- Regional League Rep teams in a couple of countries

+ a number of other things here and there

Basically top leagues in a few different countries but in all honesty I always prefered netting to games. There was always too much expectation on match days. Oh and lest I forget the pain that comes from fast bowling was never a big joy.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Nah, I retired about a year ago. I only just turned 30 this month but Ive have serious groin problems that still have not been fixed despite having surgery for about 9 months.

It comes down to the fact I cannot perform at the level I would expect of myself or at the pace I would expect due to the 100s of injuries down the years. I do not really enjoy it anymore and it seems like a lot of hard work for a lot of pain and suffering. Also I can't really bring myself to drop down a level or 2.

Shame really, but I do love rocking up to random nets and scaring the poop out of youngsters who think they are superstars. Its just I cant bowl for more than 1/2hr without the groin giving agony.
Thats a pity.

I know what you mean about playing the odd nets with youngsters. I havent done that for six or seven years now and dont know if I can stand even a 15 minute net batting session but its a pleasure playing with young fast bowlers.

The monent a ball is pitched slightly short, I will go back and across by sheer force of habit (even if twenty years old habit) and the bowler will immediately shout expecting me to be hit on the pads. They are always surprised to see how easily old timers play straight off the backfoot to deliveries just short of good length.

For me this, more than anything else demonstrates the direction in which cricket has moved.

Goughy are you the gough that played fro durham a while ago and

My Dad Played Against

Pascoe,Lillee,Thomson,Dutchie Holland,Allan Border,Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh,Lawson, All those blokes cant remember them off the top of my head still a few more

My Brother played with

Colin Miller,Merv Hughes,Damien Fleming and quite a few more against an Essex side that included Bopara,Foster,Hussain as the manager lol, and all the Essex Players

And im too young to play against anyone famous!!!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
Goughy are you the gough that played fro durham a while ago and

My Dad Played Against

Pascoe,Lillee,Thomson,Dutchie Holland,Allan Border,Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh,Lawson, All those blokes cant remember them off the top of my head still a few more

My Brother played with

Colin Miller,Merv Hughes,Damien Fleming and quite a few more against an Essex side that included Bopara,Foster,Hussain as the manager lol, and all the Essex Players

And im too young to play against anyone famous!!!
I doubt it, my names not Gough :)

Thats a fine list of players your family has played with. Don't worry, Im sure your time will come. :)

yeah there is more but my dad played first grade my brother plays first grade and recently scored a 100 against Matt Nicholson in his 3rd game in 1st grade and also my grandad played first grade and and we will wait and see what happens with me but if you dont no what first grade is it is the level below NSW or any other state

Craig

World Traveller
Goughy said:
SJS thats a pretty damn good team.

Im doing this off the top of my head and Im limiting it to international players. Im sure Ive forgot a number but Ive never really kept note.

Played With
M. Vaughan
C. Lambert
P. Grayson
J. Kemp
B. Close
A. Keeper (cant think of one off hand)
A. Tudor
M. Hoggard
D. Steyn
C. Silverwood
C. Bulfin

Trained and Netted with but never played with
D. Haynes
G. Gooch
A. McGrath
R. Key
P. Collingwood
C. Cairns
C. Lewis
D. Pringle
E. Hemmings
R. Sidebottom
D. Malcolm

Ive played with countless FC players so Ive not included any in here. Funnily enough quite a few went on to play with Derbyshire.

Oh, I know the 2nd team named has no keeper but Im sure they can deal with it.

Edit- Just remebered a few more M. Marshall, C. Ambrose, C. Read, J. Foster, D. Wilson, M. Nash (should have played test cricket), P. Martin
Shouldn't Rob Key be tat number 3? :p

Very impressive anyway...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
Not that high really, never did myself justice due to bad attitude and injuries.
Anyway, a breif and unimpressive list.

-County U19s
-A County for a short while but never played a FC game
-Semi-pro in any number of teams and leagues. Changed clubs every year depending on the money (plus I usually had had a falling out with the chairman by that time)
- University 1st XI at 2 Unis
- Regional League Rep teams in a couple of countries

+ a number of other things here and there

Basically top leagues in a few different countries but in all honesty I always prefered netting to games. There was always too much expectation on match days. Oh and lest I forget the pain that comes from fast bowling was never a big joy.
Thats pretty impressive, and yes, another one who prefers netting to bowling in the middle.. I once netted for an entire day and didnt get bored or tired of it, like running a marathon I guess.

Have you played much in Gauteng? I tried to play a bit in PE, but the language barrier (hardcore Boertjies) and agressive attitudes meant I preferred to stay on the beach..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Have you played much in Gauteng? I tried to play a bit in PE, but the language barrier (hardcore Boertjies) and agressive attitudes meant I preferred to stay on the beach..
LOL, tough cookies aren’t they?

Langeveldt

Soutie
TT Boy said:
LOL, tough cookies aren’t they?
Not when they start talking about me in Afrikaans without realising the fact that ek kaan praat 'n bietjie!.. Hardest pitches I've ever played on though, even the spinners had to be treated as medium pacers

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Yes Ive played a fair bit in Gauteng, and fair play to them they changed everything when I played and conducted everything in English. From teamtalks, to fines meetings to sledging on the field.

I never had any problems with the Dutchmen and found them surprisingly accomodating.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
Yes Ive played a fair bit in Gauteng, and fair play to them they changed everything when I played and conducted everything in English. From teamtalks, to fines meetings to sledging on the field.

I never had any problems with the Dutchmen and found them surprisingly accomodating.
Oh they were incredibly friendly, I was on my own in PE working at the flying club and they gave me lifts and were generally awesome, and spoke to me on my own in English, but in groups it was always Afrikaans, which helps mine and they were impressed I knew a bit.. But it does make life tough during team talks, and the sledging was something else.. Not that I'd expect them to change the language of meetings just for one person really...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Played with:

1. M. Elliott
2. N. Jewell
3. U. Khawaja
4. A. Finch
5. J. Moss
6. D. Warner
7. M. Wade+
8. B. Cutting
9. C. McKay
10. P. Siddle
11. D. Nannes

Played against:

1. R. Sharma
2. C. Pujara
3. B. Hodge
4. D. Hussey
5. A. Mathews
6. K. Pollard
7. Safaraz Ahmed+
8. P Chawla
9. N. Hauritz
10. W. Parnell
11. K. Roach

Others: Jason Krezja, Thilan Perera, Marcus North, Mark Cameron, Ravindra Jadeja

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cbf putting a team together but off the top of my head, the people of any note:

Played with:

Adam Gilchrist
Glenn McGrath
Scott Styris
Wayne Holdsworth
Ellyse Perry (chick cricketer)
Mel Jones (chick cricketer)
Andrew McDonald (backyard cricket obv)
Dom Thorneley (backyard cricket)

Played against:

Adam Hollioake
Andy Bichel
Greg Campbell
Robin Smith
Moises Henriques
Steve Smith
Nic Maddinson
Alyssa Healy (chick cricketer)
Julia Price (chick cricketer)

Julian87

State Captain
Mainly just Aussie blokes..

Phil Hughes
Tom Cooper
Moises Henriques
Nathan Lyon
Jeff Cook
Vusi Sibanda

few others I can't name off the top of my head. Coming from the country there's less likelihood of coming up against players who've dropped back and what not because they're based in the cities.