• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which famous cricketers have you played cricket with/against?

Lostman

State Captain
vaas bowled at me in the nets. it was a really long time ago when he was playing for the colts club in SL i was about 13. After my practice had ended (it was at colts as well) i was just hanging around at the nets bowling and he was was just comming in to practice. He was bowling around in the nets waiting for the rest of his team mates to come around, so i asked if i could face him. It was fun!! did it for a while too. it wasnt a turf wicket it was one of those matted ones. i was a right hander with a bad front foot shuffle, needless to say i got nailed on the front foot a countless number of times. before i left i asked him to sign my bat and cap, still have the bat with his signature with me.

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Been in a net with Brendan Nash feeding balls into a bowling machine. Big claim to fame that is.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
SJS said:
Bishan Bedi, Madan Lal, Mohinder Amarnath, Surinder Amarnath, Manoj Prabhakar, Kirti Azad, Raman Lamba, Ramesh Saxena, Vijay Mehra, Abbas Ali Baig, Rajinder Goel, Maninder Singh, Atul Wasan - International cricketers I can recall playing with or against.
Wow, quite a list that.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
Mike Rindell, Otis Gibson, Mushtaq Ahmed, Albie Morkel, Alan Hill, Tahir Mughal are the ones I can remember...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sadiq Mohammad played as a guest in a friendly match. This was pub cricketers of a fairly modest standard. He was in his 50's at the time but obviously still immensely gifted compared to the rest of the players. He chipped the third ball over the roof of the local church and after a bit of discussion he played no further part in the game but instead chatted to the locals and signed autographs etc.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bowled ten balls to Brad Hodge in a coaching session. Got absolutely smacked on seven of them, he left one outside, left another a long way down leg and got bowled leaving a length ball outside off coming in.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Hoggy said:
World famous Eltham High.

One of two high school's in Melbourne that don't have a uniform. :cool:
Ah, righty. I was in Eltham yesterday/last night/this morning when some mates and I trekked to the Soccer at Fed Square.
Not the best place to be in the dark of night :laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
Sadiq Mohammad played as a guest in a friendly match. This was pub cricketers of a fairly modest standard. He was in his 50's at the time but obviously still immensely gifted compared to the rest of the players. He chipped the third ball over the roof of the local church and after a bit of discussion he played no further part in the game but instead chatted to the locals and signed autographs etc.
A bit more dashing then his older brothers?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Wow, quite a list that.
I was lucky to be playing league cricket in Delhi (1965 to 1985) and played against almost all the stalwarts of the North Zone who regularly played in the A Division. One also came across them in some of the major tournaments in and around Delhi. Some of them played for the same club/s as I did.

I am retiring this year and going to spend the winter in Delhi after 21 years. I would love to play some cricket there and thats why I intend to spend the entire winter - the main cricket season- in the capital, visit my old club and try to catch the odd friendly game.

I am hoping (against all hope I guess) that I will not be as unfit as I think I am and get back into some sort of playing form to be able to make a league game or two but I doubt it. It will be absolutely wonderful If I can do that - 41 years after I first played there. It will still be fun to knock before games at least :)

*crosses fingers and toes*

Last edited:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Unless a few decide to come down to the park, or even my backyard, then there is almost no chance of professionals playing cricket with me.... although I have faced a Malinga look alike/ Bowl alike

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have made all types of lists before but never tried this. Here is a team from the best players I played with or against.

1. Abbas Ali Baig
2. Manoj Prabhakar (RAMP)
3. Surinder Amarnath
4. Mohinder Amarnath (RAM)
5. Ramesh Saxena
6. Gursharan Singh
6. Surinder Khanna (Keeper)
7. Rakesh Shukla (leg Spin)
8. Madan Lal (RAMP)
10. Bishan Bedi (Left arm spin)
11. Atul Wasan (RAMP)

That would make a very attractive side and I think they would beat any first class side in India today.

For those who dont know, Gursharan Singh was an extremely talented batsman who sparkeled in his short career but strange selection policies and a few failures suddenly saw him left out in the cold when he was one of the most attractive yet technically very sound batsmen in the country. Same is true for Ramesh Saxena who even today when he plays some veterans matches (he toured England in 1967) is auperb to watch.

Rakesh Shukla was a very good leg spinning all rounder but not good enough to play for India though he did play one test. I took him in place of Maninder to provide variety in the attack.:)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
SJS thats a pretty damn good team.

Im doing this off the top of my head and Im limiting it to international players. Im sure Ive forgot a number but Ive never really kept note.

Played With
M. Vaughan
C. Lambert
P. Grayson
J. Kemp
B. Close
A. Keeper (cant think of one off hand)
A. Tudor
M. Hoggard
D. Steyn
C. Silverwood
C. Bulfin

Trained and Netted with but never played with
D. Haynes
G. Gooch
A. McGrath
R. Key
P. Collingwood
C. Cairns
C. Lewis
D. Pringle
E. Hemmings
R. Sidebottom
D. Malcolm

Ive played with countless FC players so Ive not included any in here. Funnily enough quite a few went on to play with Derbyshire.

Oh, I know the 2nd team named has no keeper but Im sure they can deal with it.

Edit- Just remebered a few more M. Marshall, C. Ambrose, C. Read, J. Foster, D. Wilson, M. Nash (should have played test cricket), P. Martin

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
WOW Goughy i am impressed.

I was lucky enough to play a steet friendly with Faisal Iqbal and Danish Kaneria. Faisal tonked me for 24 in my only over:) .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
SJS thats a pretty damn good team.

Im doing this off the top of my head and Im limiting it to international players. Im sure Ive forgot a number but Ive never really kept note.

Played With
M. Vaughan
C. Lambert
P. Grayson
J. Kemp
B. Close
A. Keeper (cant think of one off hand)
A. Tudor
M. Hoggard
D. Steyn
C. Silverwood
C. Bulfin

Trained and Netted with but never played with
D. Haynes
G. Gooch
A. McGrath
R. Key
P. Collingwood
C. Cairns
C. Lewis
D. Pringle
E. Hemmings
R. Sidebottom
D. Malcolm

Ive played with countless FC players so Ive not included any in here. Funnily enough quite a few went on to play with Derbyshire.

Oh, I know the 2nd team named has no keeper but Im sure they can deal with it.

Edit- Just remebered a few more M. Marshall, C. Ambrose, C. Read, J. Foster, D. Wilson, M. Nash (should have played test cricket), P. Martin
Very impressive indeed.

You still active ?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, I retired about a year ago. I only just turned 30 this month but Ive have serious groin problems that still have not been fixed despite having surgery for about 9 months.

It comes down to the fact I cannot perform at the level I would expect of myself or at the pace I would expect due to the 100s of injuries down the years. I do not really enjoy it anymore and it seems like a lot of hard work for a lot of pain and suffering. Also I can't really bring myself to drop down a level or 2.

Shame really, but I do love rocking up to random nets and scaring the poop out of youngsters who think they are superstars. Its just I cant bowl for more than 1/2hr without the groin giving agony.