• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is tougher to beat at home

Kimbo

International Debutant
I vote India- most of the players from touring teams end up having sleepless nights on the toilet...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
id say australia, it was a 50/50 call between them and india.
South Africa definately not.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I'd go for Aus followed by Ind.

It would be interesting to see the performance in the last 20 home matches (or last 4-5 yrs or something). I am sure Anil wll eventually post them :) He is one of the few guys who is smart enough to post stats to back his arguments.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd almost put Pakistan at the top because up until last year it was almost impossible to beat them with Waqar & Wasim in full flight.

Add into the fact that the grounds are almost like a gravel road & the heat which gets extremely high & i'd say Pakistan are the toughest to beat infront of a home crowd, just ask New Zealand.

Rich2001

International Captain
Heres the stats for you guys

Last 5 years, in no particular order

Australia @ home

- Played - 28

- Won - 20

- Drawn/Tie/No Result - 7

- Lost - 1

- Win % - 71.43

India @ Home

- Played - 24

- Won - 10

- Drawn/Tie/No Result - 8

- Lost - 6

- Win % - 41.67

Pakistan @ Home

- Played - 21

- Won - 6

- Lost - 7

- Win % - 28.57

SA @ Home

- Played - 27

- Won - 17

- Drawn/Tie/No Result - 6

- Lost - 4

- Win % - 62.96

England @ Home

- Played - 30

- Won - 12

- Lost - 11

- Win % - 38.71

Sri Lanka

- Played - 30

- Won - 18

- Drawn/Tie/No Result - 5

- Lost - 7

- Win % - 60.00

New Zealand

- Played - 21

- Won - 9

- Drawn/Tie/No Result - 6

- Lost - 6

- Win % - 42.86

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
India has lost just one test series at home in the last 16 years.

So if you look at series stats which matters most, instead of individual tests, I don't think any country comes close to that record.

West Indies' record at home was most impressive till they lost to Mark Taylor's team in 1995.

[Edited on 8/10/2002 by aussie_beater]

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Tim
I'd almost put Pakistan at the top because up until last year it was almost impossible to beat them with Waqar & Wasim in full flight.

Add into the fact that the grounds are almost like a gravel road & the heat which gets extremely high & i'd say Pakistan are the toughest to beat infront of a home crowd, just ask New Zealand.
Pakistan's home record has been anything but impressive.They have lost at home to Aus,SL, SA,Eng and even Zim in the last five-six years.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geez, surely India would be the toughest to beat in a series at home...............Australia second, though.

Teams seem to find it difficult enough to win a TEST over here let alone a series. The last time the Aussies lost a Test here was in 1998 in Melbourne against England. And I'd say 4 whitewashes in the last 5 series here is a pretty good effort!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The Aussies surely are the toughest to beat anywhere, home or abroad. The Australians had a real chance of winning the latest series against the Indians, but were pipped at the post. However, the Indians didn't have the ghost of a chance in the last series in Australia. I would rate them as 1) Aus 2) India.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Australia are genuinely difficult to beat at home, India are resurgent yes, but they can be nailed down, provided that the visiting team has enough bowling power to blunt their batting advantage. Pakistan, if not clowning around can be a very dificult team to beat at home as well. SA i dont think so.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Posted by Anil...
The Aussies surely are the toughest to beat anywhere, home or abroad. The Australians had a real chance of winning the latest series against the Indians, but were pipped at the post. However, the Indians didn't have the ghost of a chance in the last series in Australia.
This is the wrong example to give here. We are not judging the head to head between India and Aus, but the 'toughest team to beat at home'.

To judge which is the toughest team to beat at home, u should be looking at their performance at home against the toughest away team, SA in this case, and definetely not India (Ideally it should have been Austrailia, but since Aus cannot play Aus at home so we cannot know that :)). For India, we should be looking at their performance against the toughest away team, that is Aus obviously.

There is no point even seeing the performance of Aus against India in Aus as India absolutely suck away.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Gotchya
Australia are genuinely difficult to beat at home, India are resurgent yes, but they can be nailed down, provided that the visiting team has enough bowling power to blunt their batting advantage. Pakistan, if not clowning around can be a very dificult team to beat at home as well. SA i dont think so.
What exactly does "clowning around" mean? Pak used to be a really tough team to beat at home, but not recently. They have had a spate of shocking and not-so-shocking defeats at home in the past few series. A result of "clowning around"?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
looking at those results it looks as though its:

1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) Sri Lanka
4) New Zealand
5) India

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Tim
looking at those results it looks as though its:

1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) Sri Lanka
4) New Zealand
5) India
No.The results are still...

1) Aus
2) India
3) Pak
4) SA

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
That's right.
And Roy's right too, about looking at the better touring teams rather than head-to-head.
I think it's Australia followed by India.
Australia overwhelm their opposition at home.
India are very difficult to beat at home; touring teams may win a match or two but winning a series in India is another matter altogether.

Then it has to be SriLanka. But that's primarily because they're doing what India used to do even three or four years back- ambushing visiting teams with their pitches.
Anyone remember the match in which Jayasurya scored 340? ugh!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by royGilchrist
Posted by Anil...
The Aussies surely are the toughest to beat anywhere, home or abroad. The Australians had a real chance of winning the latest series against the Indians, but were pipped at the post. However, the Indians didn't have the ghost of a chance in the last series in Australia.
This is the wrong example to give here. We are not judging the head to head between India and Aus, but the 'toughest team to beat at home'.

To judge which is the toughest team to beat at home, u should be looking at their performance at home against the toughest away team, SA in this case, and definetely not India (Ideally it should have been Austrailia, but since Aus cannot play Aus at home so we cannot know that :)). For India, we should be looking at their performance against the toughest away team, that is Aus obviously.

There is no point even seeing the performance of Aus against India in Aus as India absolutely suck away.
Agreed that it was a bad example. My statement still stands though.
Here are some stats from 1990 onwards:

India:

SL - 2 wins, 1 draw
England - 2 wins
Zimbabwe - 3 wins
Australia - 3 wins
West Indies - 1 draw
Pakistan - 1 draw
South Africa - 1 win, 1 loss
New Zealand - 2 wins
Total - 13 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss

Australia:

Pakistan - 3 wins
England - 3 wins
India - 2 wins
West Indies - 2 wins, 1 loss
New Zealand - 2 wins, 1 draw
South Africa - 1 draw, 2 wins
Sri Lanka - 1 win
Total - 15 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss

South Africa:

India - 3 wins
Australia - 1 draw, 2 losses
New Zealand - 2 wins
Pakistan - 1 win, 1 draw
England - 2 wins
Sri Lanka - 2 wins
West Indies - 1 win
Zimbabwe - 1 win
Total - 12 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses

Sri Lanka:

Australia - 1 win, 1 loss
New Zealand - 2 wins
England - 1 win, 1 loss
India - 1 loss, 1 draw, 1 win
Zimbabwe - 3 wins
South Africa - 1 loss, 1 draw
West Indies - 1 draw, 1 win
Pakistan - 1 loss
Zimbabwe - 1 win
Total - 10 wins, 3 draws, 5 losses

The numbers indicate series wins, losses and draws at home. I haven't included the Asian test championship match results in this. They clearly show that the rankings at home in the past 12 years is:

1) Australia
2) India
3) South Africa
4) Sri Lanka