• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is tougher to beat at home

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I think the stats show that winning in Aus, India and SA are pretty much the top three challenges in cricket.

India's played far too less against WI, and Pakistan. The series against Pakistan was just of two matches ending in a 1-1 result.

Wasn't one of the three wins for India vs Aus a one-off match?

I don't think any of the series India played were five test series. Same goes for Sri Lanka.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by aussie_beater
Originally posted by Tim
looking at those results it looks as though its:

1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) Sri Lanka
4) New Zealand
5) India
No.The results are still...

1) Aus
2) India
3) Pak
4) SA
Out of the 4 on that list and who has voted for who. However the list includes Pak, who have a poor record in recent times, but not SL, who have a good record, so it is flawed in it's options, before we even get onto the flawed nature of such a poll in this forum...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I find it quite interesting that it seems to me that the Indian supporters say Aus, and the Aussies seem to say India (as an overall view)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
I find it quite interesting that it seems to me that the Indian supporters say Aus, and the Aussies seem to say India (as an overall view)
The innuendo seems to be that the Aussies and Indians are scratching each other's backs. It could just be mutual respect, you know. While we are at it, let's hear what an Englishman has to say. Would you pick a team other than these two and if so, why?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
That's because Aus were beaten nowhere but in India. They're not used to seeing their team beaten. Otherwise, the difference between the two teams is:

Australia steam rollers opposition at home.
India just wont be beaten at home irrespective of how badly they've been losing otherwise!

Hence the perception from Indians that Australia are tougher than anyone else at home.

The stats Anil pulled up shows they are actually pretty close.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Out of the 4 on that list and who has voted for who. However the list includes Pak, who have a poor record in recent times, but not SL, who have a good record, so it is flawed in it's options, before we even get onto the flawed nature of such a poll in this forum...
Yes I agree with you that SL should have been there going by their more recent performances, like from 1997 onwards maybe. But if you look at a longer period then that, they don't really measure up.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Good post Anil, clearly shows its between India, Aus, and SA, but why did you not include other teams i.e. Pak, Eng and NZ, and why did you not include the asian test championship? Asian test championship is as keenly contested as any other test match, and since in cricket teams dont play enough test cricket we should include all the competitive tests that we can. BTW, did you include the 'unoffical' and controversial (Mike Denniss was it, my memory is deserting me) SA/Ind test?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
While we are at it, let's hear what an Englishman has to say. Would you pick a team other than these two and if so, why?
That's too hard a question, probably SA due to the strength of their squad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by royGilchrist
Good post Anil, clearly shows its between India, Aus, and SA, but why did you not include other teams i.e. Pak, Eng and NZ, and why did you not include the asian test championship?
1 match isn't a series!

If it is, then IND have lost 2 series in 16 years!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
clowning around
Okay, i'll rephrase it, "If Pakistan are not clowning around as usual at home" :)

True, they should be a team hard to beat at home, but their form is inexplicable. Now that you guys have established who is the hardest to beat at home..what are the reasons for it to be so ? Why is India tough to beat at home ? solely because of the pitches ? the conditions have a part to play. plus the crowds....all this holds true for Sri Lanka as well.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Also, perhaps, they play pretty well in India :D If you don't have the ammunition, no matter how much the crowd is yelling, you can't do much.

And the fact that most teams in the world have been missing/ are missing a quality spinner as well as players who could/can play spin well. So it's a case of our strengths matching their weaknesses.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by royGilchrist
Good post Anil, clearly shows its between India, Aus, and SA, but why did you not include other teams i.e. Pak, Eng and NZ, and why did you not include the asian test championship? Asian test championship is as keenly contested as any other test match, and since in cricket teams dont play enough test cricket we should include all the competitive tests that we can. BTW, did you include the 'unoffical' and controversial (Mike Denniss was it, my memory is deserting me) SA/Ind test?
I just looked for the teams with the best results. Pak, if I remember correctly had 7 series wins and 6 losses which automatically takes them out of the top 4.

I am afraid I made an assumption that the records of England and NZ are spottier over the past 12 years than the 4 teams I have mentioned. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. In any case, I don't think these two will dislodge any of the top 3(If somebody can pull up similar stats to prove otherwise, I will retract this statement).

I also included what is technically considered a series between 2 countries(even a "series" with 1 test) and the Asian test championship doesn't come into that list. However, even if you include those matches, the positions remain the same.

I also haven't considered individual tests, I did take into consideration India's latest series with SA which SA won comprehensively.