Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Thread: Spirit of Cricket

  1. #1
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424

    Spirit of Cricket

    What do people see as the biggest blights on the game in terms of the spirit in which they'd LIKE it to be played in - which you would wish away if you could?

    My list would go something like:
    MAJOR ISSUES
    - abusive and discriminatory (racist or otherwise) sledging (both from crowd and in particular players)
    - the spectre of match-fixing (no specific examples right now, but the genie is out of the bottle and we're all going to have to be suspicious)
    - too many meaningless ODIs - a 'spirit' issue because it devalues representing your country - eg do Mick Lewis's 15-20 odd "national" caps mean as much as a player from the 70s or 80s?

    MINOR ANNOYANCES
    - teams using a specialist fielder as the 12th man/sub and that player spending too long on the ground (not a partisan Aussie whinge, it would annoy me if Andrew Symonds were always 12th man for Australia),
    - abnormal pitches being prepared to suit the home side's bowlers. I have no problem with seemers in England or turners in India - I dislike people urging the preparation of turners in Australia to blunt South Africa or alternatively, green tops in south africa to blunt warne,
    - teams not sharing a beer or cup of tea after the match because they don't want to compromise their 'psychology' regarding their opposition - why are you playing the game people?

    There are probably lots more, but I don't want to rant.
    Last edited by Matt79; 31-05-2006 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,951
    The spirit of cricket is an antiquated concept. You play to win, and to hell with the opposition. Very few other sports still hold to a concept as outdated and useless as 'spirit' of the game. If its not explicitly illegal in the laws, then it's legal. I would have less of a problem with it, if it wasn't a complete farce anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    - abusive and discriminatory (racist or otherwise) sledging (both from crowd and in particular players)
    Why? Home advantage is a huge thing, you have to make the best of it. I have problems with remarks regarding race or religion as those are slippery slopes and can lead to hostility not only between the players, but outside of that as well. But calling the batsman's mother a stinking whore? That's all fine, if it gives you an advantage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    - the spectre of match-fixing (no specific examples right now, but the genie is out of the bottle and we're all going to have to be suspicious)
    I'm not sure what this has to do with 'spirit', as its explicitly illegal in all sports.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    - too many meaningless ODIs - a 'spirit' issue because it devalues representing your country - eg do Mick Lewis's 15-20 odd "national" caps mean as much as a player from the 70s or 80s?
    That's really the fault of you and I. If we keep watching, they'll keep playing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    - teams using a specialist fielder as the 12th man/sub and that player spending too long on the ground (not a partisan Aussie whinge, it would annoy me if Andrew Symonds were always 12th man for Australia),
    Either outlaw it, or make stricter regulations for it. I have no problems with teams maximizing their advantages within the rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    - abnormal pitches being prepared to suit the home side's bowlers. I have no problem with seemers in England or turners in India - I dislike people urging the preparation of turners in Australia to blunt South Africa or alternatively, green tops in south africa to blunt warne,
    Why? Its YOUR pitch, you prepare it in a way that will give YOU an advantage. It would be absolutely ludicrous to prepare a pitch that suits fast bowlers if you are playing England, regardless of what you usually do at your home (unless of course, your bowling attack was similar). If you don't like this, then pass a law mandating how every pitch should be prepared.


    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    - teams not sharing a beer or cup of tea after the match because they don't want to compromise their 'psychology' regarding their opposition - why are you playing the game people?
    Frankly, I hate when they share beer after the game. I want the players to HATE each other. I want it to show during play. An extra bouncer to the throat? That's where cricket is most fun.

  3. #3
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Yeah, I agree somewhat with silentstriker. Its a multi million dollar sport and its highly professional. Bringing in the spirit of cricket and friendliness into it is all abit too amateur. Although I think the game is progressing at its natural evolution and things should be allowed to run its course without much interferance.

    And get rid of the after match beer. It is slightly creepy.

  4. #4
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Frankly, I hate when they share beer after the game. I want the players to HATE each other. I want it to show during play. An extra bouncer to the throat? That's where cricket is most fun.
    Why? Surely there must be some element of fun and sportsmanship in the game? Sure, a bit of aggression is fine but it should not be carried on off the field. Attitudes like that are the sort of reasons why wars happen - mindless, blind hatred.


  5. #5
    International Debutant Majin's Avatar
    TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,784
    While I agree that if it is abused, and the 12th man is on the field for too long with no good reason then it is against the spirit, I don't agree with not having a specialist fielder for the job. That's why he's there, to cover in the field. No one is going to want to take Monty Panesar as a 12th man just to fit in with the spirit of the game. If you have to use a sub, make it a good one. It's better for the game.

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Yeah, I agree somewhat with silentstriker. Its a multi million dollar sport and its highly professional. Bringing in the spirit of cricket and friendliness into it is all abit too amateur. Although I think the game is progressing at its natural evolution and things should be allowed to run its course without much interferance.

    And get rid of the after match beer. It is slightly creepy.
    I dis-agree, even though professional cricket is a multi million $ buisiness(i cant find the pound sign) it's main job is to set an example to the millions of lower level cricketers below it, it should be the benchmark by which we all follow and aspire too. Cricket needs to preserve it's identity,not destroy it to be more 'professional'.

  7. #7
    U19 Cricketer albo97056's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London and UEA Norwich
    Posts
    455
    One of the reasons i like the game is the sportsmanship even at the highest level, theres no other sport like it, and i hope it doesnt sink to the level of football.

  8. #8
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    Attitudes like that are the sort of reasons why wars happen - mindless, blind hatred.
    Please tell me Australian sledging will NOT be the cause of WWIII.

  9. #9
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,951
    Quote Originally Posted by albo97056
    One of the reasons i like the game is the sportsmanship even at the highest level, theres no other sport like it, and i hope it doesnt sink to the level of football.

    What sportsmanship? The stuff thats said in the middle shatters any notion of this being a 'gentleman's game'.

  10. #10
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Please tell me Australian sledging will NOT be the cause of WWIII.
    No, what I'm saying is that on the field a bit of aggro is fine, but if you come out of a game and continue the aggro off the field, you will end up in disputes which tarnish the reputation of the game. Finding a balance between sportsmanship and gamesmanship is difficult, like the balance of entertainment and the result.

  11. #11
    U19 Cricketer albo97056's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London and UEA Norwich
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    What sportsmanship? The stuff thats said in the middle shatters any notion of this being a 'gentleman's game'.
    Its nothing compared to other sports. In all my time playing ive bonly had abuse I consider to be unsportsmanlike on one or two occasions by the odd idiot. And pros barely put a foot wrong in this regard. Theres the odd bit of verbal banter, but everyone knows its just a laugh and its not meant to be serious.

  12. #12
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    I love cricket because of the tradition, in how many other sports do the opposition clap the opposing captain when he comes to the wicket?

    I hate the idea of cricket becoming like other sports. I was once voted the most sledged player, because of my Boycott opening batting tactics (they seem to annoy the opposition) but I never had a problem of shaking the 'enemies' hand at the end of a game or having a beer with the foe.

    Back on topic; the thing that annoys me the most is time wasting

    Others are:

    Flat tracks
    Back to back Tests
    20/20 matches
    Throwing
    You know it makes sense.

  13. #13
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,951
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I love cricket because of the tradition, in how many other sports do the opposition clap the opposing captain when he comes to the wicket?
    The question is: Why would you want that tradition? Its a farce anyway, because as soon as he starts batting, there will be shouts of 'kill him...kill him' and you're hoping your side knocks him out for a duck anyway.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    29,569
    Cricket - the only sport where you can go out there, give the opposition some stick, go back in and laugh about it all at the tea break, go out and do it again!

    That pretty much encapsulates cricket for me, you head out there and try and rip some heads off, but afterwards you do share a drink.

  15. #15
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    The question is: Why would you want that tradition? Its a farce anyway, because as soon as he starts batting, there will be shouts of 'kill him...kill him' and you're hoping your side knocks him out for a duck anyway.
    Because it is the tradition that makes cricket the game it is

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Top five characters in cricket history
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 29-04-2006, 08:32 AM
  3. Cricket Web Forum
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 02:10 AM
  4. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •