• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Australian Batting Order for ODI Series

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is the order I think :

D Martyn - In 3 digs opening has scored 116, 69* and 144*
A Gilchrist (c) - Of course!
M Bevan - Someone to push around the singles
R Ponting - Keep the run - rate ticking between 30 and 40 overs
M Waugh - A bit of a demotion :) lol
A Symonds - Good enought to be the 6th batsman in my opinion
I Harvey - I think he's useless...
S Warne - Speaks for himself
B Lee - on "probation" yet to prove himself in ODI's
J Gillespie - Speaks for himself
G McGrath - Speaks for himself

12th Man - S Katich

Of course one notable omission - S Waugh

I just think hes getting a bit old for the ODI's and his form in the test matches has been ****house!

I think Andy Symonds is a good enough batsman to take on the number 6 role, and Katich is a class batsman and he could take over easily.

Of course this is just my lineup, post your own here!

bryce

International Regular
M.Waugh
Gilchrist+
Ponting
Bevan
S.Waugh
Martyn
Symonds
Warne
Fleming
Gillespie
McGrath

12th Man:B.Lee

i dont think lee is up to it in odi's he had the worst odi bowling figures ever by an aussie-1/82 of his 10 or something like that, he will play some anyway but i think he should have to prove that he can bowl the right line and lenght required for one dayes

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
No Glenn McGrath holds that record! He has the worst and best bowling by an Australian ODI bowler (in terms of runs)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
waugh
Gilchrist
pronting
bevan
martyn
S Lee
Harvey
Lee
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

Katich or Hussey or higgs 12th man

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dingo's XII
----------------
Gilchrist+
Hayden
Ponting
Bevan
S Waugh*
Martyn
Harvey
B Lee
Warne
Gillespie/Bracken (depending on injuries)
Williams
Symonds (12th, interchange with Lee/Harvey)

M Waugh and McGrath need a break before South Africa, so does Gillespie (especially coz he's injured). Probably find Haddin and Katich will get a run at some point too.

[Edited on 12/24/01 by Dingo]

Hodgey

Cricket Spectator
to sean- i think you are right about steve waugh but the selectors will keep him in the side til he retires.

to bryce- i think yours is a more realistic team and i hope fleming gets a go.

to dingo- Bracken won't get a go, they should choose 5 bowlers and stick with them instead of introducing new ones like bichel and bracken. anyone remember simon cook, matt nicholson, they all played a couple of tests and haven't played since. Stick with the good bowlers unless there are injuries.

Dingo

Hodgey: They don't just hand out ACB contracts to duds. Bracken will play the ODI's because they need to give guys like him international experience for the 2003 World Cup. They should be using this series to trial players for the world cup. Your McGraths and Gillespies are automatic picks for SA so why risk injuries in "meaningless" matches?

PS yes i do remember Cook and Nicholson...I also remember BOTH were brought in to replace injured players...and both bowled very well under difficult circumstances. I also remember that both were seriously injured shortly after playing their Tests. That also covers guys like Hogg, Wilson, McIntyre, Dale, who played when injuries to the main bowlers allowed them a crack.

Dingo

BTW Brett Lee does have the worst ODI bowling figures for an Australian (1/85 against Pakistan 2001) but remember it was his FIRST game back from shoulder surgery...no practice games, no easy trial matches, nothing.

Sam

For New Zealands sake I hope Brett Lee is in the Aussie ODI team cause he is crap. He will get murdered by any half decent batter. But I think Aussie have a hell of alot of depth for top order ODI batting :

Adam Gilchrist
Matthew Hayden
Mark Waugh
Justin Langer
Damien Martyn
Ricky Pointing
Micheal Beaven

Theres 7 awesome batsmen that can bat in the top 4 :)

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Justin Langer and Matt Hayden are never included in One Day Squads.

Hayden is about a 25% chance but Langer has none.

bryce

International Regular
nah i think hayden will be given ago as well as his great ODI form in india earlier this year in cludin a hundred and a 99 and being the leading australian international run scorer this season

James

Cricket Web Owner
Shouldn't Australia be looking to the future and giving some young up and coming players a chance?

Andre

International Regular
if they choose up-and-comers, nathan haurtiz, shane watson and michael clarke will figure highly in discussions, aswell as ahsley noffke. however, watch for stuart clark 2 be selected. word when he was rested from the nsw south africa games was thew aussie selectors were VERY dissapointed not 2 c him play

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
bracken will play some games as Australia are likeley to continue their rotation cycle - however to a lesser extent than last year - haddin may play but Ryan campbell has been named in Aust A, Nathan Hauritz may also get a game as he has been playing well for Qld

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
HERE IS MY PICKS

Gilchrist (c)(wk)
M. Waugh
Martyn
Hussey
Bevan
Symonds (promoted for the final 5 overs)
Warne
Gillespe
Fleming
McGrath

12th Man: S. Waugh (so he can go onto the ground)

oyesachinoye

Cricket Spectator
BY including just ten players u made sure that Aussies lose the match!

M Waugh is past his best, Symonds is crap, better get in Watson, who is a better allrounder!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
symonds is crap ? !!!

he is one of the hardest hitters in the world and the guy can play any bowling..

Just that stupid aussie selectors are screwing him by tryin to invent him as a allrounder.

I hope he gets one more chance to impress....tht guy is real intimidation