Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monty Panesar

U19 12th Man

Monty Panesar

What do you guys reckon about him. He is a great spinner (The best in england at the moment) but he can't really bat and his fielding leaves alot to be desired at the best of times.
    Last edited by Bob Bamber; 29-05-2006 at 05:02 PM.

I have been really impressed by him on the two occasions i have seen him in the last couple of weeks. Only saw him briefly on sunday but his accuracy is superb. The crowd really arent helping his fielding, the constant cheering has made his fielding worse in the two test matches. Clearly it needs a lot of work but long term id definetly stick with him. His fielding was no worse than that from some of the Sri Lankans on sunday which was appauling.

You've found a batsman to rival our Chris Martin

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    hes shown that hes not a one trick pony, or a flash in the pan, high hopes for monty now...but will he sustain it? and what of ashley giles?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    You've found a batsman to rival our Chris Martin
    Unfortunately he seems to be coming in at 8!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Monty Panesar was promising on the tour to India. His accuracy is impressive but he needs to make sure he pitches them up all the time. Right now, he can be a good spinner because he can turn the ball and has control over his bowling. To become a great spinner, he needs to develop more variety and guile.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    lol i hope Plunket gets some runs now

Breakout Champion!
    The guy's an absolute hero. I wonder how he'd field at short leg.

The fact that people talk about his batting speaks volume of England's dependence on its tailenders. As long as he continues to bowl well and improves his fielding, IMO that should be okay, I dont care if he breaks the world's worst batter record.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Lol, that is an absolute gem of a post!
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    The fact that people talk about his batting speaks volume of England's dependence on its tailenders. As long as he continues to bowl well and improves his fielding, IMO that should be okay, I dont care if he breaks the world's worst batter record.
    They're just jealous in England because they don't have Arjun's supreme six-hitting all-rounder Munaf Patel at #11.

cpr
    What i find interesting about Monty isnt his bowling, but his fielding.

Now i'm guessing that he's always been a promising bowler, certainly not just picked it up over night. Batting and bowling are interchangable, you can be rubbish at one if your skill at the other balances it out, so theres no worries about his batting at the moment...

Fielding is something thats affected much more by training. You can be a useless fielder, but practise hard to improve (not saying you'd become Jonty Rhodes, there is some natural skill involved). This has been pointed out a fair bit in the test commentary, with references to how Tufnell improved his over time.

So where has this training been all through his development?? If it was clear that he'd make the grade as a bowler (even if it was just a first class one, let alone a test bowler), then any respectable team coach should have picked up on his fielding weaknesses and tried to improve them, for him and the team.... I cant believe his fielding hasnt cost any other team he's played for bar England.

One thing that struck me during the last test was at times he failed to show even the most basic techniques in the field (i wasnt paying much attention, so for it to be noticed by me means it couldnt have been a fluke). I was always taught that if you cant grab a ball cleanly, get your lower leg flat on the ground behind your hands to act as a barrier to stop misfields going off to the boundary. I saw Monty go two handed to grab a slowish ball, with his feet apart in a standing position, and watch the ball go past him.....

Mebbie he never listened at fielding practise, mebbie he wasnt given the practise in the first place, either way, someone somewhere should have taken him aside and made him fix the basics in his fielding LONG before he got to the test team.

Hopefully someone will belatedly do this now, and he can become a damn good spinner for England.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

I was suprised how much he seemed to hurry the batsmen. It doesn't look like he gets much dip, and the only worrying thing about when I saw him bowl was how many opportunities he gave Dilshan to cut him.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    The fact that people talk about his batting speaks volume of England's dependence on its tailenders.
    No, I think it speaks volumes about the need for a side to have capable batsmen down to 11.

With the current missing bowlers we're not only missing their superior bowling, but also their much more solid batting.

Giles >>> Plunkett
    Harmison >>> Mahmood
    Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Panesar.

The side wouldn't have lost 5 for 5 with those 3 in the 8, 10, 11 (or 9, 10, 11 as it would've been with the Hoggster NWMing) positions.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I haven't seen that much of Panesar at test level, but what I have seen has been very impressive. Surely Giles shouldn't have a stranglehold on the lone spinners role in the side, especially with a tour to Aus in the near future. Can't to worse than Giles, so Panesar should be kept with.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information